Built 68rfe trans ?'s - Page 6 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgil888 View Post
I used H&S OD and MCC on a stock trans. Now have a Revmax 550. Tried controlling it with MCC, couldn't be made to work. Now working with a tuner using EFI Live. Will report how it goes.

I had had the Revmax for about six months now, and it has been a pain. When I received it, it had a filter that allowed excessive converter drainback. This caused the truck to lurch and surge after putting it in gear. Revmax sent me the appropriate parts, but I had to pay to have them installed in my new transmission.

Revmax's tuning, which they initially forced me to buy from a tuner, was not useable. Truck had erratic converter behavior and ridiculously low shift points. Would lug, buck, stall, chatter...etc. Revmax is not interested in remedying the situation, and I am working with a tuner to try to get it right. Hopefully it can be made to work.

My point is not to criticize Revmax, but to point out that buying an aftermarket trans is not a plug-and-play upgrade. They will sell you the hardware, but you are on your own to make it work with your truck. Trans still makes a terrible grinding sound that rattles the whole truck when it upshifts prematurely and RPMs drop under 1k under partial throttle and has to be shifted manually around town. On the upside, the trans does shift very nicely--better than the tuned stock trans--in certain situations. On highway onramps, from say 50 to 80% throttle, the thing works great.

After all the headaches and money spent, the truck is worse to drive than it was with the stock trans. Wish I had kept the stock 68 with MCC. Would have been easier and cheaper to buy rebuilt stockers if mine failed than mess with this Revmax.
This to me sounds like exactly why Steve at Commercial Powertrain wants to install test/tune his own stuff before he hands it over. That to me is worth the extra time and maybe $ upfront. No one here has posted a hiccup or negative thing about his trans or work.

2014 6.7L CTD CC SLT, Anarchy,Deviant EGR kit, 5" TBE, Autometer Pyro/Boost, Thuren Fox IFP, 315/70R18 Toyo M/T on Stock wheels, 2" Spacers, Stubby Antenna, Tint,S&B Intake, GDP Big Line Kit, ARP 425
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shanerocks For This Useful Post:
ehgent orange (11-26-2015), GLBWAMR (11-26-2015), Mitchcook (11-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 12:11 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchcook View Post
Yes, and Commercial Powertrain won't be wasting their time diagnosing, repairing, replacing things on Transmissions that were either installed improperly or broken in improperly.

It's a smart move from a small business perspective. And I am sure he gets a good amount of business due to his location.

I believe he spends an entire week per transmission basically from start to finish.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You are correct about the machining time. Are you running a CP trans??

2017 deleted for now
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanerocks View Post
This to me sounds like exactly why Steve at Commercial Powertrain wants to install test/tune his own stuff before he hands it over. That to me is worth the extra time and maybe $ upfront. No one here has posted a hiccup or negative thing about his trans or work.
For once Canadian customers are not getting ripped off from customs and shipping... $10k (CAD) and he's in our back yard... But you won't have to pay extra for that kinda service, that's just how he is.

And being FULLY transparent here, I had a pressure sensor fail which caused mine to shift funny but was easily diagnosed. Sensor was brand new from dodge that failed. Replaced it and I've been good to go. And when he tests it he does just that... We discovered a 1350 series front driveshaft is not enough for my truck..

2017 deleted for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 12:37 AM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
I hadn't heard of Steve or Commercial Powertrain until I read this thread, but my point--aimed at the OP--is that these aftermarket "built" transmissions are very, very complicated pieces of machinery and are not a plug-and-play modification. I have been spoiled working on my Cummins; a lot of mods that make a big performance change are relatively easy to install and require ZERO development on the part of the consumer.

68RFE's are complex, and you will hear a dozen different opinions about the best way to make one hold together under extra power if you talk to a dozen different trans guys or speed parts shops. If you're coming into it based on a little forum research, it sounds as though installing a built trans is as simple as a new turbo or head studs, but getting it to work right is serious business. I believe this is why so many guys with heavily modified trucks are running older, simpler, 4-speed autos or converting to manuals.

2012 6.7 4X4 68RFE
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:44 AM
Diesel Head

[QUOTE=stgil888;21324426]
Quote:
I hadn't heard of Steve or Commercial Powertrain until I read this thread, but my point--aimed at the OP--is that these aftermarket "built" transmissions are very, very complicated pieces of machinery and are not a plug-and-play modification. I have been spoiled working on my Cummins; a lot of mods that make a big performance change are relatively easy to install and require ZERO development on the part of the consumer.

68RFE's are complex, and you will hear a dozen different opinions about the best way to make one hold together under extra power if you talk to a dozen different trans guys or speed parts shops. If you're coming into it based on a little forum research, it sounds as though installing a built trans is as simple as a new turbo or head studs, but getting it to work right is serious business. I believe this is why so many guys with heavily modified trucks are running older, simpler, 4-speed autos or converting to manuals.
Guys swap to a 47 or 48 (4-speed) for faster et times at the track. As you can see 1st is taller, 1:1 is reached sooner, and o/d is a little lower. And not unlocking and locking the converter for 2 extra gears. And we'll just leave out all the tuning stuff with the PCS computer to run it..

48re:
2.45-1st
1.45-2nd
1:1 -3rd
0.69-4th

68rfe:
3.23-1st
1.83-2nd
1.41-3rd
1:1 -4th
0.81-5th
0.62-6th

Aisin as68/69rc (for comparison)
3.74-1st
2.0 -2nd
1.34-3rd
1:1 -4th
0.77-5th
0.63-6th

68's have two overdrives that are nicer for crusing down the Hwy(rpm lower for the sticklers out there) and a lower 1st gear better for towing. But the o/d clutches are also the first thing to go(stock trans) hard excelleration into 5th then to 6th. Have a look at the gear ratios and the difference between all 3 trans this should give a better idea of why the 68's are slower but not nessisarily weaker. And probably why you won't see any records being broken with a Aisin workhorse ripping down the track. (Someone frisky out there probably has BUT very rare...)

I'm running completely stock tcm tunning and doing just fine. Tcm commands 160psi, stick a gauge on the side of my trans and you'll find 225psi pretty damn quick. Get the right gear head to build you a trans and you won't have to worry about it. A CP trans could have been shipped to me under 1 condition: no after market tuning what so EVER. (This is what I have my fingers crossed for Steve to send them across the border to get things started) So saying is my trans complex? Nope, but it has bigger shafts and a few other goodies compared to most.. And the moment I change anything via trans tuning, well now the equation changes and other modifications need to be made to compensate for this.. So if you put it in and leave it learn, yeah it will take everything you throw at it, but keeping in mind which trans, 48 or 68 is best suited for your needs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GLBWAMR For This Useful Post:
ehgent orange (11-26-2015), no worries (11-27-2015)
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Cummins Fan

I agree with what you're saying about faster 1/4 times with a 4 speed. I tried using a custom tune via EFI live to control the Revmax 550 and it's worse than ever. Tuner is avoiding my calls and emails. Can anyone recommend someone who knows how to tune a Revmax AND answers their phone?

2012 6.7 4X4 68RFE
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:04 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgil888 View Post
I agree with what you're saying about faster 1/4 times with a 4 speed. I tried using a custom tune via EFI live to control the Revmax 550 and it's worse than ever. Tuner is avoiding my calls and emails. Can anyone recommend someone who knows how to tune a Revmax AND answers their phone?
Phil from Anarchy!

2017 deleted for now
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Diesel Head

Johnathan from hpp does a lot of work with revmax

2015 2500 Laramie ccsb CTD, Lots of thuren goodies, fox shox, bmf novakanes, amp steps, lost a few parts underneath, and the list goes on......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode