Built 68rfe trans ?'s - Page 5 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
68 needs help

Hello all, read the thread, I am just looking to get my 16K toy hauler 5th down the road. No hole shots or mud runs. at 140K on the truck. I can feel OD slipping hauling that camper up them hills.

gulf war 1990, Kosovo 98
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 AM
TPMS adjustment guy

Garage
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by navy80to04 View Post
Hello all, read the thread, I am just looking to get my 16K toy hauler 5th down the road. No hole shots or mud runs. at 140K on the truck. I can feel OD slipping hauling that camper up them hills.
If you don't already have one, you might consider a custom MCC tune for the mini before shucking out big money for a trans. Not saying it'll fix your slipping but it certainly can't hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TPMS Adjusted..
Speedo adjusted and fogs w/high beams enabled..

Thuren suspension w/Kings, MM3, Airlift bags, 18x9 Warriors w/35" Atturo Trail Blades
2011 CCSB 2500 SLT 4x4 Auto w/150k miles-SOLD!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4x4door For This Useful Post:
navy80to04 (11-21-2015)
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Cummins Fanatic

looks like H&S overdrive would be the thing to get (is that better then MCC, or do I need MCC and then I could get overdrive?), I am going to rebuild the trans soon too.

gulf war 1990, Kosovo 98
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by navy80to04 View Post
looks like H&S overdrive would be the thing to get (is that better then MCC, or do I need MCC and then I could get overdrive?), I am going to rebuild the trans soon too.
Yes the od is the trans tune. MCC is custom engine tunes plus the trans tune.

2014 Laramie DRW 4x4 Aisin 3.42, Fuels 20x8.25 275-65-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Amp plug and play steps,Weathertech mats, Pioneer sub,Infinity dash speakers, DeeZee tailgate assist, B&W hitch,
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 PM
WJG1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBWAMR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShark View Post
forgive me but is there some transmission god named steve I'm unaware of? does he live in Canada or something?

Steve is the owner of Commercial Powertrain. And lives outside Calgary, AB.

Uses melted down uneptanium from Thor's hammer to build his transmissions... And engines, but shhhh no one knows that yet, lol.

Quote stolen from CottonDoc!! Haha
What's his prices on a built 68 ? And what's shipping cost down to the states ? Core charges ? Wanting to try to stick with a 68 vs all the other swaps they offer now. Idk if it's possible to make a 1000hp on a built 68 and it survive and be dependable. I don't want anything to do with the purple curse trans. Called fire punk but 11k for a 47RE isn't gonna cut it either. Don't think a revmax will live at that power range same as sun coast. So I know I'm limited on options but it would be nice to be able to keep a 68 if the commercial power train will hold it and live.
post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG1985 View Post
What's his prices on a built 68 ? And what's shipping cost down to the states ? Core charges ? Wanting to try to stick with a 68 vs all the other swaps they offer now. Idk if it's possible to make a 1000hp on a built 68 and it survive and be dependable. I don't want anything to do with the purple curse trans. Called fire punk but 11k for a 47RE isn't gonna cut it either. Don't think a revmax will live at that power range same as sun coast. So I know I'm limited on options but it would be nice to be able to keep a 68 if the commercial power train will hold it and live.
AFAIK Commercial Powerfrain won't sell just a trans. Must do the install too. He doesn't like others getting their hands in there... And I can understand why 😊

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Mega Crap. EFI By Altered Diesel Wurks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchcook For This Useful Post:
ehgent orange (11-25-2015)
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:09 AM
WJG1985

So they won't let anyone just put it in and do the learning process and that's it ? Well guess revmax is gonna get a lot more business then.
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Built 68rfe trans ?'s

Quote:
So they won't let anyone just put it in and do the learning process and that's it ? Well guess revmax is gonna get a lot more business then.

Yes, and Commercial Powertrain won't be wasting their time diagnosing, repairing, replacing things on Transmissions that were either installed improperly or broken in improperly.

It's a smart move from a small business perspective. And I am sure he gets a good amount of business due to his location.

I believe he spends an entire week per transmission basically from start to finish.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Mega Crap. EFI By Altered Diesel Wurks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitchcook For This Useful Post:
ehgent orange (11-25-2015), GLBWAMR (11-25-2015), no worries (11-27-2015)
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:16 AM
WJG1985

May see if he will without a warranty sold with it if he ships or cause if it does break it will be cheaper and fast for me to fix myself and the part vs shipping it back to them.
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
May see if he will without a warranty sold with it if he ships or cause if it does break it will be cheaper and fast for me to fix myself and the part vs shipping it back to them.
Give him a call, thats the only way you'll know. Easy guy to talk to. (403) 273-1950

2012 Omaha orange
4.10/Lowered on 22's/
H&S/Edge/ARP/Fass/Isspro/Dynatrac/Fleece Performance/Steed Speed/Borg Warner s472/Hamilton/F1 Diesel/Turbosmart/GDP/Caltracs/Nitto/Fuel Offroad/Espar

Commercial Powertrain 68rfe
Instagram: EhGent_Orange
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:49 PM
WJG1985

Already did. He said that would be a possibility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ehgent orange (11-25-2015), GLBWAMR (11-25-2015)
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Cummins Fan

I used H&S OD and MCC on a stock trans. Now have a Revmax 550. Tried controlling it with MCC, couldn't be made to work. Now working with a tuner using EFI Live. Will report how it goes.

I had had the Revmax for about six months now, and it has been a pain. When I received it, it had a filter that allowed excessive converter drainback. This caused the truck to lurch and surge after putting it in gear. Revmax sent me the appropriate parts, but I had to pay to have them installed in my new transmission.

Revmax's tuning, which they initially forced me to buy from a tuner, was not useable. Truck had erratic converter behavior and ridiculously low shift points. Would lug, buck, stall, chatter...etc. Revmax is not interested in remedying the situation, and I am working with a tuner to try to get it right. Hopefully it can be made to work.

My point is not to criticize Revmax, but to point out that buying an aftermarket trans is not a plug-and-play upgrade. They will sell you the hardware, but you are on your own to make it work with your truck. Trans still makes a terrible grinding sound that rattles the whole truck when it upshifts prematurely and RPMs drop under 1k under partial throttle and has to be shifted manually around town. On the upside, the trans does shift very nicely--better than the tuned stock trans--in certain situations. On highway onramps, from say 50 to 80% throttle, the thing works great.

After all the headaches and money spent, the truck is worse to drive than it was with the stock trans. Wish I had kept the stock 68 with MCC. Would have been easier and cheaper to buy rebuilt stockers if mine failed than mess with this Revmax.

2012 6.7 4X4 68RFE
The Following User Says Thank You to stgil888 For This Useful Post:
DDGTHS08 (12-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode