Shift Chirp - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'm not 100% positive but the latest flash, the one that I'm speaking of, supposedly came out just like a week or so ago. Keeping fingers crossed bc I can't hear that type of BS the tech gave you. Makes me very angered. I'll report back asap and try to provide the code for the flash. I believe it was provided in another thread. I believe it ends in an 'I'.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Cummins Nut

That'd be great! Thanks!
post #27 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 PM

I bought a 2015 2500 mega about a month ago. I also have the chirp. Have heard it ever since I drive it off the lot. Have about 1500 miles on it and it still chirps.

Subscribed for answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Cummins Fan

Unfortunately I was in the middle of a call when I took the truck back yesterday and did not have a chance to speak in detail with the tech on the flash code. Doesn't really matter because it still makes the damn chirp on the 3-4 shift on moderate to strong acceleration.

However the flash did clean up some of the sloppiness in the torque converter behavior and generally less confusion from the tranny when getting on and off throttle. Also seems to have eliminated the clunking when jumping off throttle in the lower gears. Overall it seem to have improved the tranny behavior from being somewhat annoying to somewhere close to good. If we could just figure out the chirp I would be pretty damn happy with this thing. Oh and it seems to idle better. Sounds nice and tight at idle now, had some funky clicks or pops before. Worth the flash overall IMO but did not completely take care of the chirp.

I'll check back in a few days if anything changes. And I will be following up with the tech at the next service.
post #29 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Personally I think it's the clutch plates chattering. I had a Harley with a fractured clutch basket that would do the same thing (especially while doing a burnout). Anyway, replaced basket and clutch pack and all was silent. I'm not saying there's something broken in our transmissions, but perhaps there's a little play when engaging that causes the chatter/chirp. I wonder if a different trans fluid, like Amsoil would behave differently?

Not trying to turn this into an oil thread, but I know different friction modifiers will make the transmission shift smoother/harsher.
megacabguy likes this.
post #30 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:03 PM
rjp
WWW.SuncoastConverters.co

Thanked 1,239 Times in 975 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
In the past this has always been the overdrive clutches. It could possibly be that Chrysler changed the paper they use on the frictions.

This was an issue way back in the early testing days before the proper material was engineered and made exclusively for Suncoast.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjp For This Useful Post:
railin 6.7 (09-12-2015)
post #31 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Cummins Fan

I think ya'll are correct. I don't know crap about transmissions but sure sounds like it's slightly slipping on something upon that sudden engagement catching 4th gear and makes the chirp. I hope to have time later this week to take it back to service and look deeper into it. Very pleased with this thing otherwise.
post #32 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Cummins Nut

I'm taking mine in tomorrow for its first oil change and service.... it will be its 6th time in the shop and it has 3300 miles on it now. I will see what they say when I tell them its the same old chirp, even after the lift.

I do not know if its the trans or what because, at least in this thread, the only people complaining about it seem to be owners of newer Mega Cabs...

2015 Ram 2500 4X4 MC CTD LTD
2009 Coachmen Spirit of America 28FKS
post #33 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Cummins Fan

Good luck Ox. Hope you find something out. I'm slammed this week so won't get in. I just know this is going to be a show to figure out or get resolved. Interesting that it may just be Mega cabs. Could it possibly be something in the axle? I still think it's the tranny bc mine only does it when tc is unlocked going into the shift to 4th.
post #34 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Cummins Fan

Just an update. Short version:

Took it back yesterday, verified flash is up to date and they did some quick relearn thing to the tranny. Had two techs (one supposedly was the guru) ride with me. Duplicated the chirp sound on the shift into 4th several times. Both acknowledged hearing it. No codes or other diagnostics able to give them a clue and everyone only has silence or possible guesses. Just having it documented to 'Chrysler' (that's what they still call it) and go about my way. It's not a safety issue and the shift isn't necessarily 'bad', just a little harsh IMO but I guess a lot of people like the firm shifts. So it's all subjective except for the fact that it makes a chirp or bark noise on the 4th gear shift. I don't want them tearing apart the tranny or anything just to look and guess. So just have to drive it and act like I farted when it shifts to 4th each time so my Ford or GM buddies don't have some comment. I'm planning to give the tranny no mercy since it's all stock and under warranty for a long time.
post #35 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Cummins Fan

Holy freakin crap. Ya'll aren't going to believe this. Literally as I hit send on the above post my tech called me. They ordered a whole new transmission for my truck. They are supposedly fast tracking it and he said he'd call me back within a week to schedule the replacement. I never even asked them to tear into the tranny nor did I get really nasty with them. Just had good discussion about it, stated it shouldn't be making the noise and had them check it out as described above. They must be aware there is some issue going on with this. I'll update as this plays out.

Let me add, I realize everything can have an issue. It's how they take care of the issue that goes a long way in my book. If they get this right I will give major props to Ram and this service center.
post #36 of 303 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I just got a 15 mega cab and it has the chirp as well. I have about 400 miles on the truck. I dont want a brand new truck that has to have the tranny replaced

2015 2500 CTD, mega cab, black appearance package,AFE CAI, AMP Steps, 35" Toyo ATII, BD Booster, Bilstein 5100's, 2.5" level, MotoMetal mo962
The Following User Says Thank You to Qzing For This Useful Post:
Tomoad (08-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode