disapearing coolant and overheating - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
disapearing coolant and overheating

Hi all, I am having a slight problem with my truck. I have a 2010 ram 2500 6.7/auto. I bought the truck used and it had been fuly deleted. It has an H&S egr delete kit, head studs, 5" tbe, airaid intake, and is lifted with 35's. I usually run the truck on either the mild or wild setting with occasional use of the hot setting on the tuner. I tow a 6000 lb travel trailer a few times a year which is primarily when I use the exhaust brake as well. The last 2 times I towed my TT (this weekend the most recent) near the end of the trip to my destination the coolant temp spiked from 190's normal to 220-240. Both times were after coming down the interstate off ramp on EB and coming to a stop at a red light. After letting the truck cool I noticed the overflow reservoir was full and the radiator was dry with a huge hiss of air pressure when removing the cap. After adding a gallon of coolant to the radiator topping it off while removing the screw in the coolant line to bleed the air out the truck runs just like normal, temps are 180-190's. I have also changed my thermostat. I've checked the dipstick too and oil appears to look normal. I'm not sure what to do next I am hoping its not the head gasket or anything major but just don't know.

2010 Ram 2500 deleted, H&S minimax, 5" TBE with flopro muffler, Air Raid intake, head studs, unknown lift with 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Cummins Fan

Sounds like a head gasket failure. Had almost the same symptoms with mine.

2012 Ram 2500 HO, ST 4x4 QC LB, deleted, studded, Fleece coolant bypass, 4" TBE, Shaddnasty EFI Live by Done Right Diesel, stage 2 trans.......VERY stock looking truck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Yup sounds like a head gasket.

2010 Dodge Big Horn 2500, 68rfe, 373's,
H&S Mini Max, MCC Anarchy Diesel, H&S Trans. OD, H&S Fuel Rail Shim, S465 Turbo, Stainless Manifold with New CAI, Shibby Air Horn, Shibby SS Boost Tube, Shibby Grid Heater, ARP 625 Studs, Fire Ringed Head, 5" SS MBRP w/Muffler, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtration Unit, Air Dog II 165, Rhino Bed Liner, VIAIR 450C-10007 Continuous Air System, Firestone Rear Suspension Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig #7272 Rear Torsion Bar, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff. cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

How can I verify? Oil on dipstick looks normal but I'm planning on changing it later this week. Could the exhaust brake be creating too much driveline pressure because I'm deleted? I'm still a newb and learning about diesels.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

NAPA sell's a test kit for about 40-50 bucks that will sniff the vapors out of you radiator and the fluid changes color when it detects combustion fumes.
That would tell you if it is the head gasket.

2010 Dodge Big Horn 2500, 68rfe, 373's,
H&S Mini Max, MCC Anarchy Diesel, H&S Trans. OD, H&S Fuel Rail Shim, S465 Turbo, Stainless Manifold with New CAI, Shibby Air Horn, Shibby SS Boost Tube, Shibby Grid Heater, ARP 625 Studs, Fire Ringed Head, 5" SS MBRP w/Muffler, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtration Unit, Air Dog II 165, Rhino Bed Liner, VIAIR 450C-10007 Continuous Air System, Firestone Rear Suspension Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig #7272 Rear Torsion Bar, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff. cover
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Cummins Fan

Squeeze the upper radiator hosed when it's up to temp. If you can almost collapse it the. It's not the HG. If it's hard to squeeze (like trying to squeeze one of those store bought smoked sausages) then I've got bad news for you. The blown HG is allowing boost to seep into the cooling system. When you shut the truck off you should hear a gurgling sound from the heater core area under the dash. Yet another bad sign. Ask me how I know these things.

2012 Ram 2500 HO, ST 4x4 QC LB, deleted, studded, Fleece coolant bypass, 4" TBE, Shaddnasty EFI Live by Done Right Diesel, stage 2 trans.......VERY stock looking truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode