Springs / Shocks Myself - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Springs / Shocks Myself

I fell like all I do is ask the dumb questions. I guess I usually know the answer but I'm looking for some confirmation.

I have front springs and shocks on the way to level it. I found the thread where the guy installed them himself and I'm fairly confident I can do it and then take it to a shop for the alignment.

Here are the questions.....

1. First 8k truck. I have 3 ton jackstands and 4k lb jack. Is that going to be enough to jack up the front end and safely keep it on the stands for the install? I can do the math I'm just wondering if since the whole truck isn't on the stands that it is safe to do. Whattayou guys think? Spring for heavier duty stands? Will the jack still be ok?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Not trying to be cute, but how much will a heavy set of stands cost you, versus how much do you value your life?

Can you hire them?

'14 Silver 3500 Megacab Laramie 6.7CTD 3.42 SRW SWB 4x4 Aisin w/ramboxes, right hand drive conversion. Towing a 21'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
custom offroad caravan through the red dirt Down Under.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattandLana For This Useful Post:
c0mf0rt (08-09-2014)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

The 3 ton stands may not even adjust high enough to do the work. Mine didnt. I had to go get some 6 ton stands to install my lift. I think they were about $60 at the auto parts store.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2014 2500 mcsb. 4" BDS/FOX lift. PSC steering brace. XD Menace wheels (22X9.5 +12) and Toyo 35" AT2's (325/50/22).
The Following User Says Thank You to Curt4816 For This Useful Post:
c0mf0rt (08-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Good enough for me guys. I'll fork over the dough. How about the jack? Think it will lift the front end? I guess I could just try and see.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,559 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Yeah it will lift it. I just did my Thuren with 3ton harbor freight stands and a 3.5 ton jack. I tell ya what though I didn't get under the truck with it on those cheap china stands. I undid the sway bar before I jacked it. If you are doing a Thuren coil you don't even have to disconnect the track bar. It's super easy install especially with the shocks on the outside of the coils.

17' Chevrolet 3500 SRW....NEVER AGAIN GM. NEVER AGAIN DAVE SMITH.
18 FERD F350 CCSB. LARIAT ULTIMATE. Adaptive cruise.. so I can text safely. Carli 37s
02,04,06,07.5,11,14 Cummins. All great.
The Following User Says Thank You to MorSmokPls For This Useful Post:
c0mf0rt (08-10-2014)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorSmokPls View Post
Yeah it will lift it. I just did my Thuren with 3ton harbor freight stands and a 3.5 ton jack. I tell ya what though I didn't get under the truck with it on those cheap china stands. I undid the sway bar before I jacked it. If you are doing a Thuren coil you don't even have to disconnect the track bar. It's super easy install especially with the shocks on the outside of the coils.

He is right. You don't have to disconnect the track bar. Just put the jack stands on the frame right behind the radius arms. Make sure the truck is jacked up high enough. It is a bit sketchy with the stands behind the radius arms but there really isn't anywhere else to put them. Buy atleast 6 ton stands

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

14 3500 Longhorn Megacab dually, Aisin, Thuren leveling coils, Fox 2.0, flo-pro, aero turbine, AFE, Fuel, Toyo, EFILive by PPEI
The Following User Says Thank You to jammingears For This Useful Post:
c0mf0rt (08-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode