Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Track bar adjustment?

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SkierMan 
#1 ·
My steering wheel keeps getting out of alignment. Truck has around 2900 miles now, and has been brought in 4 times for the same issue.

The dealer says the track bar bolt is loose, they reset it, tighten and its good for 600 miles or so.

It's happened again, and I would like to make the adjustment myself as the truck still tracks straight and the steering is tight, just the steering wheel is at 10 o'clock instead of at 12 o'clock.

Can anyone help guide me to what I need to do to adjust the track bar?

#2 ·
Track bar is non adjustable. It bolts up on the drivers side frame and runs across the front of the front axle where it bolts up to the axle on the passenger side. If it were loose you'd get some major death wooble.

#3 ·
I was under the impression I'd be in a heap of trouble if the track bar were loose. I wonder what it is. The service rep says it has to be loosened to do an alignment. Other than the wheel being titled, it drives fine. It always goes back to the same angle, what could it be?

#4 ·
my truck has 1600 miles on it and it pulls to the right when you let go of the steering wheel but when you hold it to the left at 10 o'clock it goes straight and i just noticed black grease on the right side of the truck but couldn't find the source of where it is coming from i'm hopping it was something from the road and nothing serious, what do you guys think?

#5 ·
I think the dealer was refering to the drag linkage. My truck did the same thing (drives straight, but steering wheel at 10 oclock). To fix it I adjusted the drag link. Look under your truck and you will see a bar that is connected from your power steering box (pitman arm) to the passenger side front wheel (kingpin). Close to the steering box is a big turnbuckle with jam nuts on both sides. Loosen the jam nuts and adjust untill the steering wheel is straight.
Making the drag link shorter moves the steering wheel to the right. I found with mine that turning the turnbuckle a half turn made the steering wheel straight.
Hope this helps

#6 ·
track bar locates the axel and is not ajustable in stock form. it centers the axel side to side and prevents it from moving.

the drag link connect the cross bar to the pitman arm on the steering box. the drag link and the cross bar all have tied rods that can come lose I suppose.

I have to be honest though if it is coming lose someone is just not tightening it correctly. this is one of the reasons I do my own work dealers waste my time.

#7 ·
Should this adjustment be made with the ignition in acc or on to avoid the steering lock? Not even sure if this truck has a steering lock so ignore my ignorance.

Is there a photo of what I should be adjusting? The description sounds like I won't have a problem finding it but a photo doesn't hurt anyone.

#8 ·

here is your front suspension. the cross bar goes betwen the two knuckes. there is a tie rod on each end and this sets your toe in and out.

then the drag link goes from the knuckle on the passenger side to the pitman arm on the steering box. there is a tie rod on each end that helps adjust this to the correct lenght.

you track bar is one fo the items in blue and is behind the steering.

my .02 is take it to a proper alingment shop get it alinged then come home and re-torque everthing to spec.

if the truck is pulling and not just stearing wheel off center you have an alingment issue and if you have to ask the questions your asking setting your own camber, caster, and toe is probabaly a bit over you ability to be honest and it may be easier to pay the $50-$80. I mean when I lifted my truck I did not trust my hillbilly alignment. they said it was almost dead on but I don't ahve the propper tools so I usually pay to get it dead on.

steering wheel off center you can just adjust the tie rod at the pitman arm anybody can do this as it does not affect the alinment.

out of alinment takes to some tools that some may not have to do.

Reactions: SkierMan
#9 ·
The drag link in the photo is one of the red bars located between the yellow sway bar, and the blue track bar.

Loosen the jam nut on either side of the collar, adjust.

I assume the jam nuts do not have a spec and I should get them as tight as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.