Coolant issue post delete - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Coolant issue post delete

Alright so as the title states I am having a bit of a coolant issue after I did my Sinister delete. I'll give you guys a play by play of what happened and hopefully I can get this fixed since tomorrow I'm supposed to go on a road trip with the wife four states away.

So I installed the sinister delete and I purchased this kit cause I felt a little bit better having a hose on my coolant lines as opposed to a plug might not matter but even placebo effects are nice every now and then haha. I did the flo-pro dpf delete pipe only as well not sure if this would affect it.

Okay First thing when I did pop out the coolant line to the EGR Cooler I did not realize that there was a second connection just below the Cooler line and I had a fair amount of coolant come out of there less than a quart I think.

Second thing is that I believe what I loaded for a tune was Mild Tune No ATT Street Setting timing on 3 with NC Timing Tune. So I took it out for a maintenance run. Noticed that the temperature was jumping and not steadily rising. Unfortunately for me I don't have much neighborhood roads and live right off the interstate so I warmed up the truck to 140 and then hit the road towards town/Wal-Mart incase anything happened. Well temps started going towards 220-225(all temps will be coolant temps don't have EGT monitor) so I just eased off to 60-65 and continued towards wal-mart. (Mind you I did not drain the coolant as per the instructions since I read on here that not much comes out so I figured go to wal-mart and buy some coolant)

When I got to Wal-mart I popped the hood and the supplied hose adapter came off the original coolant line to the cooler on the side without a clamp with an O-Ring. It is not possible to get a clamp on that side, that being said I have no idea how much coolant sprayed around there but there was coolant everywhere and some steam coming off the engine.

I proceeded to buy some gloves and reconnected the line and topped off a bit coolant since it was marginally below the minimum line on the return trip to the house (about 7 miles) temps spiked as high as 235-237. When I popped the hood the coolant tank was almost empty. So I filled it to the Min line.

Afterwards I bumped back the tune to Mild thinking that maybe I might of had too much of a tune at first so today I have driven around and its driven fine temps are normal and runs like a dream but I've opened that hood twice and the coolant tank is almost empty again and I have dropped in a whole gallon in so far.

At this point I'm not sure what the problem is whether I just need to keep topping off the coolant until it settles since it doesnt seem to be leaking anywhere cause there isnt a fresh stain on the driveway. I am using just the normal Prestone 50/50 mix in is it possible that that is the problem? Any help is appreciated thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 Ram 2500 Mega 4x4 Big Horn 3.73 Auto Flo-Pro DPF Delete Pipe, Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, H&S XRT Pro and GDP CCV Delete "I used to own a Ford, but I traded it in for a dog since I was tired of walking alone."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I dont think the coolant you are using is the one that is required by cummins...when I did my egr delete I went to walmart and all the auto stores and none of them had the right kinda had to get it at the dealer...also when you feel up the coolant you have to get the air out, is right there by the bypass is an allen bolt at the highest point of the coolant line. Crack that open and bleed all the air out, have the truck running and open slowly allowing the air to come out.

2012 Dodge 2500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 Laramie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mini Maxx OD Tune, Isspro Gauges...5TBE...Egr Delete...Sinister TVD...Silencer Ring MIA....Leveled with 5100's...35x12.5x20 Toyo MT's...180T...Extreme Studs ....2012 Dyno run 399whp
4/13/13 454whp/956tq SOLD
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Okay I was trying to figure out how to bleed the system I'm used to working on helicopters that have self bleeding systems. Yeah reading around the website I see that Zerex G-05 is what I need to order from NAPA or get the dealer stuff but I was hoping to just run the Prestone until Monday and then totally drain it and fill it up with the real stuff.

2012 Ram 2500 Mega 4x4 Big Horn 3.73 Auto Flo-Pro DPF Delete Pipe, Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, H&S XRT Pro and GDP CCV Delete "I used to own a Ford, but I traded it in for a dog since I was tired of walking alone."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiago12/6.7 View Post
I dont think the coolant you are using is the one that is required by cummins...when I did my egr delete I went to walmart and all the auto stores and none of them had the right kinda had to get it at the dealer...also when you feel up the coolant you have to get the air out, is right there by the bypass is an allen bolt at the highest point of the coolant line. Crack that open and bleed all the air out, have the truck running and open slowly allowing the air to come out.
This.

Sounds like there was a lot of coolant loss, and thus a lot of air introduced into the system. Air in the system can easily cause these symptoms you desribed.

Go through the burping procedure, venting it through the port labeled "vent" on the coolant return pipe.

2012 Ram 2500 ST 4x4 G56 Manual CCSB | Smarty J67 ME | Flo Pro 4" O/R pipe | Sinister EGR Delete
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Alright I have unscrewed the pooch on the type of coolant but I seem to still have the issue of the hose popping off on me. I deleted on Wednesday and that's when the hose initially came off. I drove all day yesterday and drove from St. Louis to Nashville and drove like a charm. This morning on our way to Greenville from Nashville I don't even make it ten miles before the hose pops yet again. I have not come close to WOT so at this point I have no idea what is making this damn hose pop off. Does H&S sell their coolant plugs separately??

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhawk View Post
Alright I have unscrewed the pooch on the type of coolant but I seem to still have the issue of the hose popping off on me. I deleted on Wednesday and that's when the hose initially came off. I drove all day yesterday and drove from St. Louis to Nashville and drove like a charm. This morning on our way to Greenville from Nashville I don't even make it ten miles before the hose pops yet again. I have not come close to WOT so at this point I have no idea what is making this damn hose pop off. Does H&S sell their coolant plugs separately??
H&S doesn't sell egr delete stuff anymore. Check GDP as they may have something to help.

2010 2500 TRX4 Crew Cab SWB 68RFE 4.10 LSD. CCV DELETE. BAFFLE MIA. XRT PRO TV:6.8.26 (TOW, NO ATT, TIMING #3). FLOPRO DPF PIPE. MAG HYTEC REAR COVER. H&S EGR/COOLER DELETE. GDP PRO WASTEGATE. BD STEERING BOX STABILIZER. CARLI SS LOW MOUNT.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 PM
08 Cummins

Quote:
The EGR Cooler bypass hose HAS to have a clamp on both ends. If you are talking about the fitting on the head, that connection is one thing about the Sinister kit that I really don't like so I bought a different barbed fitting instead of re-using the fitting with the o-ring on it.

Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Can you post a pic of exactly what your talking about? Because I have had my sinister delete for 25k miles now and I drive my truck hard...never had an issue with the hose popping like your saying?

2012 Dodge 2500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 Laramie
Mini Maxx OD Tune, Isspro Gauges...5TBE...Egr Delete...Sinister TVD...Silencer Ring MIA....Leveled with 5100's...35x12.5x20 Toyo MT's...180T...Extreme Studs ....2012 Dyno run 399whp
4/13/13 454whp/956tq SOLD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Alright the original issue has been solved sorry for the delay but apparently the bolt/nut holding the coolant line had somehow slipped off and was not holding the line.

Now my problem is that I seem to have a phantom leak that is visible when the truck is running and overnight the coolant tank dropped about 4 inches. I'm clueless.

Last edited by Darkhawk; 04-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Diesel Head

Check towards the front of the engine on the passenger side bottom. Does it look like the coolant is dripping off the front of the oil pan? More than likely you toasted your water pump when you were getting it hot over and over.

2011 2500 CC ST G56 LB MM 5" Flo-Pro 463
The Following User Says Thank You to #40Fan For This Useful Post:
Darkhawk (04-03-2013)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by #40Fan View Post
Check towards the front of the engine on the passenger side bottom. Does it look like the coolant is dripping off the front of the oil pan? More than likely you toasted your water pump when you were getting it hot over and over.
yeah I was going to post photos the coolant is dripping out of the forward lefthand side of the oil pan.

Last edited by Darkhawk; 04-01-2013 at 03:45 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by #40Fan View Post
I've gone ahead and scheduled an appointment with the cummins dealer new pump is $113. Is there a way that I can check to ensure that it the problem? I can't seem to find a visual on the pump and can't find a schematic. Luckily they also sell service manuals so I'm going to grab one if them while I'm there tomorrow lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode