My 1st tow using mild vs wild settings. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My 1st tow using mild vs wild settings.

Hi everyone,

I thought I would raise the dead on this one, to help with some of the newer members on here!

Upon reading several threads on H&S tuner settings and MPG's, I was getting ready to take my first trip with my 5th wheel and wanted to test some of these settings out to see for myself on how they rate towards mpg. I will be using just two different settings. Mild with timing on 2 and no att. And wild with timing on 3 and no att.

I uploaded the turner settings 2 days before trip so pcm would relearn some.

The victim, see sig, weighing in at approx 8500 lbs w/wifey, me, dog and 5th wheel hitch and full tank. Front tire pressure 70 psi. Rear tire pressure 55 psi. A/C on, tow/hual on, Exhaust brake off.

The pull toy, a 2004 Montana model 2955RL 30 feet with a dry weight of 9950 lbs, adding approx 20-30 gal of fresh water and luggage and stuff. Final estimated weight 11,000-11,500 lbs. 4 brand new tires with tire pressure set at 78 psi.

I warmed up truck before towing, then drove 5 miles on highway and got off highway to top off diesel and start calculating mpg's.

On to destination:
Mini Max set to mild, timing on 2, no att

- started out on highway and leveled off at 65 mph w/cruise on, outside temp 77, headwind about 10 mph, observed ribbons on stakes and flags on buildings along the way
Boost at 10 psi, TT 176, CT 201

- at 20 miles into trip, slowed down to 60 mph, cruise on, due to traffic
Boost at 5 psi, TT 183, CT 201

- at 38 miles into trip, turned off cruise due to traffic, using 5th gear for under 60 mph
mpg showing 10.4

- at 44 miles into trip, back on crusie at 60 mph and in 6th gear

- at 47.5 miles into trip back at 65 mph w/cruise on
mpg showing 10.5

- at 51 miles into trip, showing no headwind

- at 88 miles into trip, level ground
Boost at 10 psi, TT 183, CT 201
mpg showing 10.6

- at 100 miles into trip, doing 65 mph on cruise
mpg showing 10.7

- at 147 miles into trip, getting off highway
mpg showing 10.8 and was climbing

Returning home:
Mini Max set to wild, timing 3, no att

Because of the wild setting, I warmed up the truck on fast idle (1100 rpm) for about a 1/2 hour while I got the 5th wheel ready for the trip home. I believe the truck and 5th wheel weigh in's will be the same as when I started after dumping the grey and black tanks and retaining about 20-30 gals of fresh water. Truck approx 8500 lbs and 5th wheel 11,000-11,500 lbs.
Once I got on the highway and truck fully warmed up, then the stats began.

- at 30 miles into trip doing 65 mph, outside air temp 70
Boost 10 psi, tt 183, ct 201
mpg showing 10.5

- at 45 miles into trip, cruise of due to traffic and doing 57 mph

- at 46 miles into trip, cruise on doing 65 mph
Boost 9 psi, tt 183, ct 201
mpg showing 10.6

- at 72 miles into trip, still doing 65 mph on cruise and outside air temp now 79
Boost 9 psi, tt 183, ct 201
mpg showing 10.8

- at 86 miles into trip, slowed down to 60 mph on cruise due to traffic

- at 95 miles into trip slowed down to 55 mph and cruise off and using 5th gear
mpg showing 10.9

- at 100 mile, back up to 60 with cruise on
mpg showing 11 mpg

- at 111 mile into trip, now doing 65 mph cruise on
Boost 9-10 psi, tt 181, ct 199-201
noticed slight tail wind
mpg showing 11.1 mpg

- at 123 miles into trip, doing 65 mph , cruise on and outside air temp now 81
Boost 10 psi, tt 185, ct 201
mpg showing 11.1 mpg

- at 143 miles end of highway test
mpg showed 11.2 mpg

Conclusion:
First off I really wasn't concerned about how accurate the EVIC was in mpg, however before heading home I used the truck for driving around town, site seeing and idling the truck at 1100 rpm for at least a 1/2 hour and trying to find a diesel station that would accomodate my setup and fill up, till it ran out the filler neck. The EVIC showed 11 mpg and hand calculated showed 10.6 mpg. I have not refilled the truck yet upon being home, so I'm not sure what it would read.

I did not feel and power difference between the 2 settings because I was granny driving it.

IMHO I believe that the mild on 2, no att was going to give the best mpg vs wild on 3, no att. Remember that when I started out, I had a very strong head wind for about half of the miles and ran into heavier traffic. Once I got through all of that and now was heading north on I-95, I noticed the instant mpg bar graph showing that I could be getting around 12-12.5 mpg or more for the last 25-30 miles. I didn't have any more miles to go and did not want to reset the mpg counter for this test.

I did not see this on the return trip home on the wild setting. I was watching the bar graph and it was pretty constant at 11-11.2 mpg, with a tail wind!
I hope this test helps anwser a few questions about these setings. I wish I was able to have more miles on this trip but I'm new to the diesel and 5th wheel thing and wanted to make my first trip a short one to get the feel of things before trying an 8 hour haul right out of the starting gate.

P.S. We must thank the wife for assiting me/us with writing this info down!

Update:
I just filled up my truck after getting back. I hadn't used it since. So, I quickly headed to the pumps without stopping or driving anywhere.
The lie-o-meter read 10.8 and my trusty math showed 10.6.

2012 - Ram 3500 4x4 Longhorn Dually, 4:10 Max Tow PKG, Sun Roof, EFI Live - Anarchy Diesel Tuning

Last edited by Oil Stain; 06-01-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Update
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
2012 RAM 3500 (12-08-2012), NorCaler (12-06-2012), ocpoolguy (12-06-2012), racer742 (12-06-2012), Steepwheat (12-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Cummins Nut

You have the tuner. How about the deletes?
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Diesel Head

His signature says deleted.

Good job on the test, I'm glad you understand how to set the mini max properly, your head gasket will thank you.

2010 2500 Mega Cab Laramie Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Jetta TDI...Yep
The Following User Says Thank You to BigCE For This Useful Post:
Oil Stain (12-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Oil Stain,

Do you realize that we are within one tenth accuracy of each other while towing? My hand calculations were 10.5 MPG. This is great data to have and thanks for your time.

I think H&S has a market right here for them to design a good tow tune. I'm thinking they have the skills to design a tune that can pull off 12.5 MPG while towing like some of the guys are talking about with custom tuning.

I'm disappointed in your wild/3 data, I was really hoping that would be the winner. Looks like when we tow, the engine doesn't like advanced timing, so maybe I will try the wild tune with timing on 2 and see what I get. Just thinking out loud. Also I'm wondering why your trans temps are 30 degrees hotter than mine while towing...what's the build date/month on your truck?

Just to clarify to those who are reading these MPG threads...its not about saving a few bucks on fuel, for me its a goal/challenge finding where the engine is happy and most efficient when its put under a load. Mild/3 has already proven to give me great mpg when I'm empty, but I'm still in search for the tune that runs the most efficient while towing. So far Mild/2 has proven to be the best for towing, but more test to come in the next few months.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM

Mild/3 gets better mileage than running hot and driving lightly?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2010 Ram 2500 Lone Star SuperCrew

Stock for now..
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo350z View Post
Mild/3 gets better mileage than running hot and driving lightly?

Hot isn't even an option for me because the transmission shifts like crap. Even when I get the OD software I won't be runnning that tune...I don't need that much fuel, the wild tune has plenty for the stock turbo and already puts the EGT's at max under mild acceleration.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Diesel Head

Wild with timing at 3 is a pretty good match at 2 you wouldn't have enough so in theory is should be less efficient.

2010 2500 Mega Cab Laramie Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Jetta TDI...Yep
The Following User Says Thank You to BigCE For This Useful Post:
NorCaler (12-06-2012)
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
Wild with timing at 3 is a pretty good match at 2 you wouldn't have enough so in theory is should be less efficient.
I believe you, but we have no where else to go besides wild/4. I'm thinking outside the box, because none of this makes since anyway. I would think if you found a tune that provides the best fuel mileage not towing, that very same tune should also provide the best mileage when towing.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Yeah what would be the best combination to run the best towing or not?
I'm pretty sure the differences aren't much.. Are they?

2010 Ram 2500 Lone Star SuperCrew

Stock for now..
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCaler View Post
Oil Stain,

Do you realize that we are within one tenth accuracy of each other while towing? My hand calculations were 10.5 MPG. This is great data to have and thanks for your time.

I think H&S has a market right here for them to design a good tow tune. I'm thinking they have the skills to design a tune that can pull off 12.5 MPG while towing like some of the guys are talking about with custom tuning.

I'm disappointed in your wild/3 data, I was really hoping that would be the winner. Looks like when we tow, the engine doesn't like advanced timing, so maybe I will try the wild tune with timing on 2 and see what I get. Just thinking out loud. Also I'm wondering why your trans temps are 30 degrees hotter than mine while towing...what's the build date/month on your truck?

Just to clarify to those who are reading these MPG threads...its not about saving a few bucks on fuel, for me its a goal/challenge finding where the engine is happy and most efficient when its put under a load. Mild/3 has already proven to give me great mpg when I'm empty, but I'm still in search for the tune that runs the most efficient while towing. So far Mild/2 has proven to be the best for towing, but more test to come in the next few months.
Cool, but I'm a dually and your not. LOL. So, etheir you should be a little higher or I should be a little lower, because of the extra weight that I have. I also have the off road tire option and that would eat a little mpg's too. Then again, you have taller tires. We can go all day splitting hairs, LOL but I guess we kind of balance out to some degree due to our config's.

The trans temp might be due to the dually setup. My Date of birth is 4/12. Etheir that or I'm just hotter then you babe!. What are you thinking changed about the build dates?

2012 - Ram 3500 4x4 Longhorn Dually, 4:10 Max Tow PKG, Sun Roof, EFI Live - Anarchy Diesel Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
NorCaler (12-06-2012)
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Cool, but I'm a dually and your not. LOL. So, etheir you should be a little higher or I should be a little lower, because of the extra weight that I have. I also have the off road tire option and that would eat a little mpg's too. Then again, you have taller tires. We can go all day splitting hairs, LOL but I guess we kind of balance out to some degree due to our config's.

The trans temp might be due to the dually setup. My Date of birth is 4/12. Etheir that or I'm just hotter then you babe!. What are you thinking changed about the build dates?
Dang...I forgot you were a dually.

A few days ago somebody posted about trans temps being different because newer build date trucks may have some type of recirculation valve installed to heat up the fluid sooner, but it also makes your fluid temps slightly higher. I don't have the details, so I was just curious if your build date was newer than mine and its not, so forget that idea. LOL
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo350z View Post
Yeah what would be the best combination to run the best towing or not?
I'm pretty sure the differences aren't much.. Are they?

Without any further testing, for me anyway, I'm would say mild, 2, no att. I would like to try mild, 3, no att and see what happens.

As far as driving empty, I was shocked to see at around 50 mph steady around town on wild, 3, no att the mpg bar graph was showing around 18-21 mpg's. . I'm going to take a real close look at this and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode