Suggestions please on new truck upgrades - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Suggestions please on new truck upgrades

Good morning,

I have recently purchased a 2018 2500 Laramie Mega cab. I do NOT plan on deleting based upon many suggestions on this forum. But what questions I do have are below:

1.) Some say there are NO benefits to a CAI, is this proven to be true, I see where some say the only benefits are turbo sound and enhanced exhaust brake sound. While that is cool all by itself, what i'm curious about is the functionality of EGT temps. I will be towing a 26-30' enclosed trailer at times, and I would love to keep EGTs at a minimum.
A.) With the above being stated, is there any benefit or adding a different intake horn for the same reasons stated above?

2.) What are some suggestions on an aftermarket exhaust? I by NO means want the truck to sound like my old 06 5.9L with straight 5" TBE, but I would like some more aggressive sound than stock without sounding like a open headered race truck. Again, leaving emissions intake for now as I do NOT plan on deleting.

3.) What is a good standalone monitor for visual purposes of an all in one stop shop gauge reading? I have looked at the Banks iDash, MM3, CTS2...etc, but would like some feedback from people that use it for gauge purpose only and not based on tuning.

Much appreciated

18 2500 Mega - White, sport appearance package, fox 2.0 in front, leveling kit...stock otherwise
06 2500 Mega - SOLD 3/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5dart70 View Post
Good morning,

I have recently purchased a 2018 2500 Laramie Mega cab. I do NOT plan on deleting based upon many suggestions on this forum. But what questions I do have are below:

1.) Some say there are NO benefits to a CAI, is this proven to be true, I see where some say the only benefits are turbo sound and enhanced exhaust brake sound. While that is cool all by itself, what i'm curious about is the functionality of EGT temps. I will be towing a 26-30' enclosed trailer at times, and I would love to keep EGTs at a minimum.

A.) With the above being stated, is there any benefit or adding a different intake horn for the same reasons stated above?

2.) What are some suggestions on an aftermarket exhaust? I by NO means want the truck to sound like my old 06 5.9L with straight 5" TBE, but I would like some more aggressive sound than stock without sounding like a open headered race truck. Again, leaving emissions intake for now as I do NOT plan on deleting.

3.) What is a good standalone monitor for visual purposes of an all in one stop shop gauge reading? I have looked at the Banks iDash, MM3, CTS2...etc, but would like some feedback from people that use it for gauge purpose only and not based on tuning.

Much appreciated

Sounds like a nice truck. Have some pictures?

All the reading I’ve done has been a negative on any positive effect on a cai. And it would draw in the warm engine bay air. The stock one also has a baffle that directs the air. The trucks are designed to pull so I wouldn’t worry about egt.

I don’t think there is any exhaust options being the truck doesn’t really have a muffler right now. It’s just emissions under there. No real way to make it louder without deleting.

No help on the monitor except for what you mentioned the CTs and mm3 both look like nice gauges.
cwendel likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aburdett View Post
Sounds like a nice truck. Have some pictures?

All the reading I’ve done has been a negative on any positive effect on a cai. And it would draw in the warm engine bay air. The stock one also has a baffle that directs the air. The trucks are designed to pull so I wouldn’t worry about egt.

I don’t think there is any exhaust options being the truck doesn’t really have a muffler right now. It’s just emissions under there. No real way to make it louder without deleting.

No help on the monitor except for what you mentioned the CTs and mm3 both look like nice gauges.
No pictures yet, don't want to post anything until its officially picked up and delivered LOL. Currently in the transportation stage, awaiting pick up. Its an all white sports appearance mega (black emblems, wheels...etc)

I thought the same thing after all my readings on the CAI, just curious on some feedback, appreciate it.

Cool on the monitors, I'm going to have to do some digging on youtube, I'm sure its going to come down to user preference in appearance

Thanks again

18 2500 Mega - White, sport appearance package, fox 2.0 in front, leveling kit...stock otherwise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Cummins Nut

Your only option for changing the exhaust while leaving emissions intact are DPF-back or Filter-back exhaust systems. I know MBRP makes them but they’re really kinda pointless, you won’t see any type of fuel increase and barely any difference in sound level. The DPF is what muffles the truck, so when you’re talking about changing the sound you need to start there. Obviously that means you need to delete, and you’ve already stated that isn’t happening.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L CTD 4x4 Outdoorsman. 18in Dropstar 645B -12 wrapped in 35x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers "SAP Clone". EFI Live by Anarchy, 5in Flo Pro TBE.
The Following User Says Thank You to HFolb23 For This Useful Post:
b5dart70 (08-14-2019)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Suggestions please on new truck upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5dart70 View Post
No pictures yet, don't want to post anything until its officially picked up and delivered LOL. Currently in the transportation stage, awaiting pick up. Its an all white sports appearance mega (black emblems, wheels...etc)

I thought the same thing after all my readings on the CAI, just curious on some feedback, appreciate it.

Cool on the monitors, I'm going to have to do some digging on youtube, I'm sure its going to come down to user preference in appearance

Thanks again

Nice taste lol mine is pearl white

I couldn’t afford brand new though
The Following User Says Thank You to Aburdett For This Useful Post:
b5dart70 (08-14-2019)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFolb23 View Post
Your only option for changing the exhaust while leaving emissions intact are DPF-back or Filter-back exhaust systems. I know MBRP makes them but they’re really kinda pointless, you won’t see any type of fuel increase and barely any difference in sound level. The DPF is what muffles the truck, so when you’re talking about changing the sound you need to start there. Obviously that means you need to delete, and you’ve already stated that isn’t happening.
That's what I figured, thank you. keeping it stock! lol

How you liking those Ridge Grapplers?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Nice taste lol mine is pearl white

I couldn’t afford brand new though
Looking good man

I couldn't afford brand new either LOL. The one I picked up has 12k miles.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Your factory airbox flows well enough to support documented 500-550 rwhp, but crucially it also filters small enough particles at that flow. That’s the main problem with a lot of aftermarket air intakes: they outflow the bejeezus out of the stock box, but they don’t filter finely enough to preserve the turbo’s compressor blade leading edges (pitting them will affect airflow and thus power). Exception based on filtration-at-flow data I’ve seen is the S&B dry filter - it flows more than the factory box and filters near as much as identical to the factory Fleetguard. But replacement filters are a lot more expensive and the change interval is the same. It might drop intake air temp a bit, but for two factors: first, the turbo is going to negate that when it pressurizes the air anyway; and second, the engine likes a little bit of heat to operate at max capable efficiency (around 135-150* manifold air temp).
If you’ve got money to spend and you just like the look of the “cold” air intake, a good filter isn’t going to hurt anything. Just be cognizant that it isn’t really going to help anything in front of a stock turbo either.

The factory exhaust on the 6.7 trucks is about as free flowing as it can be given emissions standards. All your restriction (and muffling) is going to be, as said above, from the filters. A DPF-back system (marketing hype; its basically a fancy way of saying “tailpipe”) may change the tone a bit but it’s not going to increase the volume or help power / efficiency. It’s sorta like screwing a 2” garden hose onto a 1” spigot: it’s still only gonna flow so much. Your exhaust filters are effectively the spigot here. The factory muffler-looking thing is just a straight-thru resonator. The inside looks like an old Borla or Flowmaster glasspack but without any of the packing.
Same as the intake, if the look tickles your fancy, it’s not gonna hurt anything. A 5” DPF-back will give you a slightly deeper tone but not much more volume. Major caution I’d offer is material. It’s really hard to beat the OEM stainless steel unless you wanna spend the coin on the high-end aftermarket stuff. That said, I’ve got a 5” aluminized exhaust on my truck for almost 80k now and it’s perfectly fine yet, but I’m in the Dirty-Dirty where “winter” is a 4-letter word and “road salt” is a completely alien concept.

For gauges I think you’d be really hard pressed to beat the CTS for the price. The one thing I like about the Banks better is the expandability to control stuff like water-meth injection or their “Banks Brake” software but i think the gauge layout (and number of PIDs you can effectively display) is still better on the CTS. I haven’t looked at the MM3 so no idea how it’d compare.

Hope this helps. Congrats on the truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, & a madly leaking radiator.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Pozzinator For This Useful Post:
b5dart70 (08-14-2019)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pozzinator View Post
Your factory airbox flows well enough to support documented 500-550 rwhp, but crucially it also filters small enough particles at that flow. That’s the main problem with a lot of aftermarket air intakes: they outflow the bejeezus out of the stock box, but they don’t filter finely enough to preserve the turbo’s compressor blade leading edges (pitting them will affect airflow and thus power). Exception based on filtration-at-flow data I’ve seen is the S&B dry filter - it flows more than the factory box and filters near as much as identical to the factory Fleetguard. But replacement filters are a lot more expensive and the change interval is the same. It might drop intake air temp a bit, but for two factors: first, the turbo is going to negate that when it pressurizes the air anyway; and second, the engine likes a little bit of heat to operate at max capable efficiency (around 135-150* manifold air temp).
If you’ve got money to spend and you just like the look of the “cold” air intake, a good filter isn’t going to hurt anything. Just be cognizant that it isn’t really going to help anything in front of a stock turbo either.

The factory exhaust on the 6.7 trucks is about as free flowing as it can be given emissions standards. All your restriction (and muffling) is going to be, as said above, from the filters. A DPF-back system (marketing hype; its basically a fancy way of saying “tailpipe”) may change the tone a bit but it’s not going to increase the volume or help power / efficiency. It’s sorta like screwing a 2” garden hose onto a 1” spigot: it’s still only gonna flow so much. Your exhaust filters are effectively the spigot here. The factory muffler-looking thing is just a straight-thru resonator. The inside looks like an old Borla or Flowmaster glasspack but without any of the packing.
Same as the intake, if the look tickles your fancy, it’s not gonna hurt anything. A 5” DPF-back will give you a slightly deeper tone but not much more volume. Major caution I’d offer is material. It’s really hard to beat the OEM stainless steel unless you wanna spend the coin on the high-end aftermarket stuff. That said, I’ve got a 5” aluminized exhaust on my truck for almost 80k now and it’s perfectly fine yet, but I’m in the Dirty-Dirty where “winter” is a 4-letter word and “road salt” is a completely alien concept.

For gauges I think you’d be really hard pressed to beat the CTS for the price. The one thing I like about the Banks better is the expandability to control stuff like water-meth injection or their “Banks Brake” software but i think the gauge layout (and number of PIDs you can effectively display) is still better on the CTS. I haven’t looked at the MM3 so no idea how it’d compare.

Hope this helps. Congrats on the truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly what I have learned from my research. That the factory does a great job. I could care less about the looks of the CAI, I was mainly focused on functionality and temps. You clarified a great point, thanks. I will spend my hard earned money elsewhere (coil springs LOL).

Good to know about the exhaust, as I stated I have no intention of deleting at the moment, as the old saying goes "don't fix it if it isn't broken" what ill most likely do is just add an exhaust tip for looks. I also live in that hated "four" letter environment with the salt. I'm up in Michigan.

I will look more into the CTS, it really did come down to banks vs CTS in all my youtube video searching LOL

Thanks for your input brother, appreciate it.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I believe I seen a cts gauge come free with efi live maybe? And tunes. Could always buy and just shelf the efi live and tunes for the time being..... like that would work lol
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
I believe I seen a cts gauge come free with efi live maybe? And tunes. Could always buy and just shelf the efi live and tunes for the time being..... like that would work lol
Interesting. On the classifieds?

And yea, i know what you mean on the "leave on the shelf" lol, but i told myself NOT ON THIS TRUCK lol

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 PM

good info here.

CAI is a waste- put it toward gauge monitor.

Exhaust- same thing- leave it for now.

Monitor- I ran the CTS2 for a while. I was not impressed. It takes 30 seconds+/1 to load which doesnt sound long but it is. The screen is not very responsive. Often times you need to smash the screen or touch a PID/Menu more than once.

I would look at the MM3 (i run one now). If you think you may be interested in tuning down the road you could use that as your platform. Black Market diesel has a monitor that is coming out that looks really slick. I am not sure how it will perform but honestly about anything will be better than the CTS2 IMO. The only thing that unit has going for it is it looks very clean. I'd rather have a bit more clunky looking unit that works well then a sleek one that doesn't. The BMP ones looks more like the CTS2- it is EZLYNK compatible if that's what you are thinking also- link below

Black Market Live Spec Monitor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2013 Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 Leveled-35x12.50x20 ToyoAT2, MM3 Tuning, DRD, 4” Flo Pro Replacement Bumper, Amp Power Steps, AMP rear Step, Train Horns John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13 OFFROAD USE ONLY
The Following User Says Thank You to TexNeck For This Useful Post:
b5dart70 (08-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode