Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Turbo replace or upgrade

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Big_Banana 
#1 ·
So I have a 2017 ram 2500 with just under 200k miles that has a p2261 code. Dealership is telling me it will be about 500 to diagnosis and clean the turbo. Worst case I will have to replace the whole assembly. I'm thinking since it already has 200k it would make sense just to replace the whole thing instead of cleaning seeing as a refurb turbo runs around 1000 bucks. I use this truck for over the road hauling hotshot trucking. So my question is

1) should I just replace with stock refurb since I'm not looking for performance just want max mpg

Or

2) should I use this opportunity to upgrade to a bigger/ better turbo and will that affect my mpg in any way?

#5 ·
In your situation I would go reman for $1000. Very economical plus you keep the exhaust brake. Huge plus for towing. IMO aftermarket vgts are not worth the coin. You could always put an inline brake in but for additional cost. If it was my means of making a living it would be a reman for a grand and keep on truckin

#6 ·
I would not put back the same problematic device on that is a known failure that I make my bread and butter with and already deleted. Let a turbo be a turbo and spin. Let the exhaust brake be the exhaust brake. The only thing the VGT is good for is EGR.
3rd and 4th Gen section always has a new failure discussion daily.

#8 ·
#11 ·
In that paper they used a VGT to assist in emissions control, so your are correct. Guess my point would be better made that these devices date WAY before BlueTEC and have a history being chosen for performance reasons.

Cummins started using them in 2000:
https://www.cummins.com/timeline

Dodge used VNT turbos for purely performance reasons back in 1990:
Uncommon Performance: Dodge Spirit R/T, Shelby CSX, and the K Car Legacy - Roadkill

I guess failing at 100k isn't the end of the world to me, whole engines use to be happy to make it that far. I understand now-a-days that isn't acceptable and there are a LOT of aftermarket turbo users here due to it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.