Upgraded holset vs compounds for mild daily driver? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Upgraded holset vs compounds for mild daily driver?

Just starting to research turbo upgrades for my '18 CCLB G56. Power goals are nothing crazy. Reliability and driveability are primary concerns and I'd like to see 500whp. The truck is a daily driver and honestly doesn't do any work that couldn't be easily handled by a 1/2 ton. I use it to haul the occasional load of lumber or dirt. I just had to have a stick shift and would like enough power to make my morning commute more enjoyable.

What are the pros and cons of running an upgraded OEM turbo such as the Fleece Cheetah or one of the many compound kits that add a turbo along with the stocker? I know people have got that sort of power out of the stock unit, but it seems like it's being pushed out of its comfort zone to do it. I'd like something that can do 500whp all day, every day without excessive drive pressure, EGT's, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I should've also mentioned that I'm not willing to lose my exhaust brake, nor do I want to have to buy an aftermarket one so the only options I'm interested in are the nodded Holset or compounds that utilize the factory Holset.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
If youíre not willing to forgo the exhaust brake (and honestly, who can blame you? Itís frikkin fantastic), your best options I think for power and drive pressure are going to be either a Fleece cheetah, a BD screamer, or a hoslet 451ve conversion. I think the box hoslet unit may be a bit cheaper but IIRC there may be some wiring mods required to make it fully function.

In any event, 500 horse shouldnít be an issue as there are several threads reporting dyno results on stock air and fuel in the low to mid 500s (albeit thatís basically the limit, but shows itís possible).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Resistol. Emissions cleaning pending. Anarchy EFI, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -2"/+400# springs, reverse level, Amsoil bypass filter, and a pile of boxes in the garage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

If you're interested....I have Godspeed stage 2 VGT upgraded turbo,a Steed Speed manifold and 150% over injectors. I ended up going a different direction. If you're looking to delete and a mild upgrade,this will work perfect for you.
PM me if you're interested

2014 CCLB Laramie-DJ Performance 6.7 w/stage 3 head-Rev 700-366/480 5 blade-Eaton lckrs-Highway Product service body-EFI-K5LA horns
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pozzinator View Post
If you’re not willing to forgo the exhaust brake (and honestly, who can blame you? It’s frikkin fantastic), your best options I think for power and drive pressure are going to be either a Fleece cheetah, a BD screamer, or a hoslet 451ve conversion. I think the box hoslet unit may be a bit cheaper but IIRC there may be some wiring mods required to make it fully function.

In any event, 500 horse shouldn’t be an issue as there are several threads reporting dyno results on stock air and fuel in the low to mid 500s (albeit that’s basically the limit, but shows it’s possible).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The setups at the top of my list at this point are the Fleece Cheetah, BD Screamer and Pusher S471 compound. I've seen folks put down 500whp on stock turbo, but it seems like it would put added strain on the engine and turbo being that far beyond the intended power range. I'd rather build something that is intended to run at that power level. Just might take longer to do.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC-1 View Post
If you're interested....I have Godspeed stage 2 VGT upgraded turbo,a Steed Speed manifold and 150% over injectors. I ended up going a different direction. If you're looking to delete and a mild upgrade,this will work perfect for you.
PM me if you're interested
I'm in the very preliminary planning (saving) stages at this point. It'll be awhile before I'm reading to make a purchase.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I also have the pusher kit w/o the atmos turbo. So basically all the piping for an add a turbo to the stock set up

2014 CCLB Laramie-DJ Performance 6.7 w/stage 3 head-Rev 700-366/480 5 blade-Eaton lckrs-Highway Product service body-EFI-K5LA horns
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,651 Times in 2,224 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
HTT makes a great drop in vgt as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode