Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2013 CDT simple delete / no tune...

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dirtRoads 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am new to the "tuning" world in general. I have only run big rigs with all the emission crap and I was not allowed to delete any of it. 0:)

With my truck, I am thinking, I just want to delete the emissions and leave it with a "stock" configuration and tune. The more I try to read up on this subject, the muddier everything seems to become.

I have a 2013 Ram Tradesman CDT. I was told I need to unlock the ECM first with a Bully Dog setup. I am now being told that EFI Live has it's own unlock capabilities now too so I don't have to buy the Bully Dog just for that. Is this true or false or kind-of both?

I am wanting to be able to keep this budget friendly but not to the point of building my own electronic parts: https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-tech-articles/137901-egr-dpf-budget-how.html

I am just wanting to run a DPF/CAT delete pipe and probably a better flowing muffler. I am thinking about leaving everything under the hood bolted on in case of state/gov't crack down. My goal is to keep it simple to return to stock, in case I had to.

What should I run (as a setup) to keep everything long lasting? All I ever had to do with my 5.9's was delete the intake silencer, turbo silencer ring, cat, and muffler. This kept those motors long lasting and very peppy. This 6.7 seems to be a completely different animal.

Please help this old fart figure it out, LOL! :troops:

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes EFI Live will unlock the ecm (this is very recent development). The procedure in the thread you linked does not work to delete your year of truck. You have no muffler, even when 6.7’s had mufflers they were straight through, and were no hindrance to flow.

#4 · (Edited)
You have no muffler, even when 6.7’s had mufflers they were straight through, and were no hindrance to flow.
you can leave everything under the hood intact and plugged in (factory appearance). the only thing you have to remove at the bare minimum are the DPF and SCR. you can do this by swapping those 2 sections of pipe out with straight pipes or you can eliminate your stock 4" system all together and opt for a 5" turbo back straight pipe (with/without muffler) system.

tons of tuners give you the option to run a stock power tune. or you can go crazy with an additional 180+ HP tune.
Thank you both!

Is there any danger or drawbacks to leaving everything under the hood bolted up? Will the EGR fill up with soot and cause problems, etc? I am sure blocking off the EGR and cooler will create less restriction, but is it worth it?

I am sure the stock 4" exhaust will be just fine for the application I will be using the truck for. I am trying to keep this pretty simple. Don't get me wrong- I want to get the best bang for my buck, but I have a tendency to go overboard real quick if I start going for "more power". :grin2:

As far a tuners go, are they a one size fits all? I saw that I can pick up an MM3 on eBay for around $900 to $1,200, but I understand it comes with zero tunes. Do I need a custom tune to delete the emissions or is it an option from the stock tuner?

This is how this is as clear as mud to me. I want the emissions deleted, so how in the world do I get there? LOL! I know I will have to "flash" the ECM before I remove parts (at least that's what I have read multiple times).

Thank you for your help and patience!

--Travo

#3 ·
bully dog used to be the only way. now all 3 platforms (autocal, MM3, and ezlynk) don't require you to use any additional device as each of those can unlock the computer for you.

you can leave everything under the hood intact and plugged in (factory appearance). the only thing you have to remove at the bare minimum are the DPF and SCR. you can do this by swapping those 2 sections of pipe out with straight pipes or you can eliminate your stock 4" system all together and opt for a 5" turbo back straight pipe (with/without muffler) system.

tons of tuners give you the option to run a stock power tune. or you can go crazy with an additional 180+ HP tune.

#5 ·
There is nothing wrong with leaving it on motor. Most people remove EGR/cooler to clean up some space but it’s not necessary.

Nothing wrong with 4”. My neighbor runs 4” delete pipes on his 2015 and it sounds great. 5” will sound a bit deeper but to each its own.

As far as I’m concerned most tuning is generally the same as far as how the increase in power is achieved. Now keep in mind, there’s still s***y tuners out there who don’t know what they’re doing. Even worse there are tuners who steal their tunes from other tuners.

If you buy a device off eBay for that much money and it doesn’t come with tunes run away fast. Furthermore, you may be screwed when it comes to customer service if you buy from some random person.

My advice, leave under hood components in place. Replace dpf/Scr with 4” pipes. And start doing some research on who you want to tune your truck. Reach out to each tuner, ask them questions. Pick their brain. Then either order directly from them or a online vendor such as Dudes Diesel Performance

https://www.dudesdieselperformance.com

#6 ·
Get you delete pipes and look at the raceme. You can run the stick delete or add power, 5 levels, and if you want warp later you can add custom, I love mine glad I went raceme.

Reactions: dirtRoads
#7 ·
I went the efi live route, mind you I have a 2011 so a little less stuff to remove for me, but pretty similar in reality. My efi live 5 tune switch on the fly set up is similar price to the one you found with no tunes. For just a single tune stock power level efi live would probably run in the 500-700 dollar range depending on tuners, i've never priced it out so I could be off a little there, just an estimate. But if you're looking for simple that's what I would do, no additional screens to mount or mess with, nice clean setup.

#8 ·
I went with the MM3 from Anarchy. The MM3 setup also came with a "free gift" which was an EGR delete kit for a total of about $1250 shipped. Then I hopped on eBay and bought some stainless Flo-Pro delete pipes for the exhaust for $239. Entire truck deleted correctly for under $1500 isn't too bad.

I too am in the same boat of not wanting to run additional power levels higher than stock. I went with Anarchy from past experience and their nice trans tuning on the 68RFE. I just run it on the "stock" tune which has the trans tuning built in, and couldn't be happier.

I went this route over just plain EFI Live via Autocal due to the added features of the MM3 (gauges, TPMS setting adjustments, etc). It was the logical choice long term.

#9 ·
I second RaceMe Ultra if you don't want to dish out the extra expense for custom tunes. The box tunes that come with the RaceMe Ultra aren't bad, especially if you plan to run the Stock - With Deletes tune. You can always add a little power if you chose, again without the additional steps or expense of custom tuning. The MM3 has no pre-loaded power level tuning.
--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.