EFI Live? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
EFI Live?

I just bought a 2011 RAM 2500. I am looking into either the H&S or EFI Live with Edge CTS Monitor as a tuning unit for the coming deletes I'll be doing. I cannot find much information on the EFI Live setup as most people are gung-ho for H&S.

My question is this: Is EFI Live just like any other tuner that walks you through the steps of installing a tune on your truck OR is it more so a tool used to custom tune a vehicle? Can a novice like myself tune a truck like this using EFI live or will I have to take it to be tuned?

Any help would be greatly appreciated- I do not know hardly anything about EFI Live.

2011 Ram 2500 4x4 Long Bed - Bone stock, mods to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Cummins Fan

efi works on 06-09 and does not work with the cts as far as i know maybe somebody that does the tuning for the can give more info.

06 2500 Firepunk stage 2, 100% over s&s injectors fleece 750 cp3 arp 625 EFI live by silverbullet fass 150 bean sump pump s&b intake , edge cts insight w get 33x12.50 20 trail grapplers and fuel maverick 20x10 2-piece
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Cummins Nut

EFI Live is just software and hardware. They do NOT supply tunes like H&S, Smarty, RaceME, Bully Dog, etc.

You have two choices with EFI Live.

1. Find a tuner that will sell you an AutoCal with tunes specific to your vehicle.
2. Learn to tune your vehicle yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearX View Post
EFI Live is just software and hardware. They do NOT supply tunes like H&S, Smarty, RaceME, Bully Dog, etc.

You have two choices with EFI Live.

1. Find a tuner that will sell you an AutoCal with tunes specific to your vehicle.
2. Learn to tune your vehicle yourself.
So can I just buy it and take it to a place like Gearhead and have them tune it for me?

2011 Ram 2500 4x4 Long Bed - Bone stock, mods to come
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Auto cal you purchase from a shop/tuner and you're locked to that one tuner. I believe you can switch tuners though if you want. They just have to unlock it.

Flash scan v2 you can write tunes yourself or purchase some tunes from someone else.

But from what I understand whenever the cp5 switches come out(ability to change between tunes on the fly) you need to be using the autocal... But I could be completely wrong as well... New to efi live myself and been using a mini max since I bought the truck in '12

2006 2500 CCSB 4x4, 4" TBE, Valair single disk, airaid intake, leveled (Traded in)
2012 3500 DRW MCSB, G56, 3.73, a pillar gauges, bags, BD 2nd Gen 364.5 SXE, BD 4" inline EB, EFI, SB dual disk(sold) I am cumminsless
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wheeler Dealer View Post
So can I just buy it and take it to a place like Gearhead and have them tune it for me?
If you don't have the time or desire to learn to tune, you pick a tuner and purchase an AutoCal. It will come loaded with tunes.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono06cummin View Post
But from what I understand whenever the cp5 switches come out(ability to change between tunes on the fly) you need to be using the autocal... But I could be completely wrong as well... New to efi live myself and been using a mini max since I bought the truck in '12
I think this part is incorrect. If you have a V2, you have the ability to do anything with the ECM that EFI Live software is capable of. You can use an AutoCal to change tunes with CSP, but I'm under the assumption that you could do it with a V2 as well. There is also at least one external dial that can change tunes with CSP without having to have the AutoCal connected.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Cummins Fan

ok I was wrong I found this it may help. https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4t...ucky-guys.html

06 2500 Firepunk stage 2, 100% over s&s injectors fleece 750 cp3 arp 625 EFI live by silverbullet fass 150 bean sump pump s&b intake , edge cts insight w get 33x12.50 20 trail grapplers and fuel maverick 20x10 2-piece
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearX View Post
I think this part is incorrect. If you have a V2, you have the ability to do anything with the ECM that EFI Live software is capable of. You can use an AutoCal to change tunes with CSP, but I'm under the assumption that you could do it with a V2 as well. There is also at least one external dial that can change tunes with CSP without having to have the AutoCal connected.

Yeah I may have just read it that way since I think the guy was having someone write him his tunes...

But yeah from what I understand depending on what space is available in the ECM for multiple tunes will dictate if that CSP switch or whatever it is will work for us or not... And that'll require the ob2 port... So that'll take away some digital monitoring options unless you are able to switch tunes and plugs...

2006 2500 CCSB 4x4, 4" TBE, Valair single disk, airaid intake, leveled (Traded in)
2012 3500 DRW MCSB, G56, 3.73, a pillar gauges, bags, BD 2nd Gen 364.5 SXE, BD 4" inline EB, EFI, SB dual disk(sold) I am cumminsless
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Diesel Head

EFI Live just got announced for the 4th gen crowd. Is it better than H&S? Well EFI Live is just a tool used to tune your ECM so it is only as good as the person doing the tunes. Yes it can be better than a stock H&S tune, far better in fact. It will also be cheaper, prices haven't been set yet but you can plan on spending about half as much as a H&S tuner.

The Auto Cal was designed to be used by the end user and is very easy to operate and any reputable shop will provide complete instructions for install.

It will likely be a month or two before it is ready to go completely. I would say personally its worth the wait you will be in better shape in the long run going with EFI Live. Just find a shop/tuner your comfortable with and they will guide you threw the entire process. You will be placing the order with the tuner and he will ship you the device you wont need to buy anything directly. My suggestion would be to get in contact with Anarchy Diesel, they do very good work and have some of the best tuners working for them.

2010 2500 Mega Cab Laramie Sold

2015 Jetta TDI...Yep
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:44 PM
08 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono06cummin View Post
Yeah I may have just read it that way since I think the guy was having someone write him his tunes...

But yeah from what I understand depending on what space is available in the ECM for multiple tunes will dictate if that CSP switch or whatever it is will work for us or not... And that'll require the ob2 port... So that'll take away some digital monitoring options unless you are able to switch tunes and plugs...
You can get the CSP5 switch from SoCal with a pass through OBDII connector allowing you to run the switch and a monitor that requires access to the OBDII port.

Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhakiCummins View Post
You can get the CSP5 switch from SoCal with a pass through OBDII connector allowing you to run the switch and a monitor that requires access to the OBDII port.

Oohhhh me likie!!!!! Plan on keeping my mini for idle up feature!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode