Whine sound at low RPM - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Whine sound at low RPM

I have noticed a whine sound that seems like it is coming from the engine bay. It is noticeable at low RPM while accelerating or decelerating just after letting off the pedal and also while revving the engine with it in park. The sound reminds me of power steering pump whine. I checked the PS fluid and it’s full, maybe even a little over full. It seems to be its loudest when the engine is cold and I don’t notice it all the time when at operating temp.

Any advice on what to check?

2014 CCSB 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Sold-2003 Quad Cab, 48re, Second Gen64/68/13, BMS 100%, ARP 625s, Hamilton 188/220
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Garage
I’m wondering if it may be my fan bearing. I am going to remove the belt to see if it’s something driven by that.
While trying to test the fan bearing for movement I noticed the fan was pretty stiff to move. Is that normal?

Sold-2003 Quad Cab, 48re, Second Gen64/68/13, BMS 100%, ARP 625s, Hamilton 188/220
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 PM

I have a moaning, almost shop vac noise, loudest at the grill. I thought maybe air box damper or PS pump, but it is intermittent and will be hard to locate. Used to be more prominent when cold, stopped, idling, but now I hear it off and on all the time, usually only lasts less than a minute, goes away if I go above idle. Very strange noise, I have it recorded but cannot post it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf2020 View Post
I have a moaning, almost shop vac noise, loudest at the grill. I thought maybe air box damper or PS pump, but it is intermittent and will be hard to locate. Used to be more prominent when cold, stopped, idling, but now I hear it off and on all the time, usually only lasts less than a minute, goes away if I go above idle. Very strange noise, I have it recorded but cannot post it.
Have you had any luck finding your noise? I still can’t find mine but it sounds like mine is a little different that what you described. Mine doesn’t make the sound at idle rpm but starts at about 950 rpm and I can no longer hear it at 1100 rpm. It’s a small window where it makes the noise.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbow20 View Post
Have you had any luck finding your noise? I still canít find mine but it sounds like mine is a little different that what you described. Mine doesnít make the sound at idle rpm but starts at about 950 rpm and I can no longer hear it at 1100 rpm. Itís a small window where it makes the noise.
I have not been able to locate the source since it is intermittent. I still think it has something to do with the PS pump or hydroboost for the brakes. Mine is loudest at the front, by the air intake behind the grill. I wish I could post the video I have of the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode