Road wandering SOLVED! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 2 Post By jroyster06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Road wandering SOLVED!

Signature truck needed new tires. Before that I found a bad drag link and tie rod ends and the ball joints were questionable. Swapped all of the parts for MOOG. Put on new tires had it aligned and it drove TERRIBLY. My initial thought was bad tires but that didn't make much sense. My second thought was the steering box. I tried adjusting it (not ideal, but was a was of trouble shooting). That didn't fix the problem, only created more.

The culprit was the new tires in fact. Not that they were bad but that they were so much better. They have more road surface contact and therefore have much more road bite. I believe this put more stress on the front end. After strapping a go pro under the truck and driving, It was figured out. Track bar and the steering box was moving around like crazy.

So I replaced the track bar with over the counter Moog. I have intentions on getting a Thuren but I needed one right away. Additionally I added a steering box brace. In my go pro video, the steering box was moving around ALOT.

Lastly, I continued to research any other causes. STEERING SHAFT BUSHINGS. I found a couple of old threads online about them. I ended up just getting the Grainger nylon insert. They fit well. Some guys say they are using a hose clamp or zip ties to hold them in. I disagree....They had to be pressed in with a c-clamp. So if they need to be held in with something, they probably need to be replaced. Here is a youtube link that better explains it. EMF sells the bushing, probably a better component, but Grainger had them the next day.

https://youtu.be/D27SdrLYua4

avdigigeek and 2500/6 like this.

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag-Hytech, 4.30's, rough crunchy steering stabilizer, Thuren Track bar.... 3 previous cummins
The Following User Says Thank You to jroyster06 For This Useful Post:
ltpyro (12-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Great video find! I just noticed this on my steering column the other day. It felt very spongy. Hell, I thought my steering box was junk. I canít believe they put a rubber bushing in there. So, thanks for that!

04.5 QC LB 4x4, NV5600, 6" Superlift, Billsteins, 35" ATZ's, Fass150, Cat 1r749, Arson3, 90's, Borg 363, Mighty Diesel, 2G swap, S06 TNTR, strait piped.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 01:25 PM
All Stock

I have a set from EMF and it made my steering feel way more connected.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2012 Laramie Longhorn Mega 2500 4x4 S467.7/83/.90 2nd Gen, CTT/EzLynk, Flo Pro 5", 2" Thuren Level kit w/ Sway Bar, Thuren Short Arms, Carli Leaf Springs, EMF Ball Joints, EMF Steering, Rolling 37's, 4.30 Nitro Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

So far so good. I have found a couple of instances of a small amount of bump steer since doing everything above. Iím headed to dodge in the morning, Iím going to have them align it following Thuren suspension guidelines. I will update after that. Even now, my truck drives like a small suv, certainly not like a lifted diesel on 37x13.50s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Mega Laramine longhorn. 6" BDS Long arm, 22" Hostages, 37x13.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion Bumpers, Back flip, AMP steps, Mag-Hytech, 4.30's, rough crunchy steering stabilizer, Thuren Track bar.... 3 previous cummins
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03toy View Post
Great video find! I just noticed this on my steering column the other day. It felt very spongy. Hell, I thought my steering box was junk. I canít believe they put a rubber bushing in there. So, thanks for that!
I don't have a problem with them using rubber, I think they just use too soft of rubber, or it's inconsistent hardness from truck to truck as some people don't seem to notice it. The bushings made a big difference on our truck.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I just ordered the bushings from EMF and they should be in next week. Im hoping to cure a little wander and small clunking noise when maneuvering in the shop yard. Iím interested to feel the difference after I install mine. To the OP, how much play did you have in your steering shaft before the install? Mine is barely visible, but I can definitely feel it.

2010 Mega Cab 3500 DRW 4X4, CCV Re-route, 5" TBE with EFI Live by Kory Willis. B&W Turnover gooseneck hitch, Alcoa's and stock size Michelin's, big mouth billet grille, AMP running boards, stripped emblems, dark window tint, Kenwood aftermarket deck with Nav
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

By spec there is 2" of play from the factory. I had 4". This took it down to closer in spec of 2". My truck can be a bit better still. I plan on eventually ordering a Thuren track bar and that should clean it up perfectly.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 AM
On call 24/7

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,110 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
I bought a couple little bushings from ace hardware a few years ago and hammered around the pin and then put a hose clamp around it just for security. Mine had very little play but the bushings got rid of all of it.

1998 12v, 4x4, Club Cab, Carli, Thuren, BlueTop, Core 4x4, BD Diesel, PDD 5x.012, South Bend
2012 Laramie Longhorn, EFI by Ryan, Carli, Thuren
1995 Dually, Weston's 5x.016, 4k GSK, 5" FloPro, 255/85r16 Toyo M/T, Goerend, ARP, 60# Springs, BW 62/65/14, BW 75/96/1.10, Isspro, Fass 125, BDP Sump, 7mm DV's, 751 HP 1883 FP Torque on NOS
1998 P-Pumped 24v, 4x4, NV4500 swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode