Retrofitting tow mirrors with sales codes LER and LEM? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Retrofitting tow mirrors with sales codes LER and LEM?

I got a very respectable deal on a 2018 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, but the one feature it doesn't have that I would like to add is the towing mirrors.

After considering the 1A Auto and OEM options, I decided to bite the bullet and pay the premium for the OEM.

Bear in mind that with the options I currently have on my sport mirrors.... power, heated, power folding, turn signals, puddle lights, memory, and ambient temp sensor (driver side).... we are talking nearly $1,000 for the OEM parts!

I placed the order with the online dealer having the best price, and they sent an email asking for my VIN. I sent them the VIN thinking good on them to double check the application, and got a return email that says they talked with Chrysler and NONE of the factory towing mirrors can be added to my truck because it has sales codes LER (power folding) and LEM (memory).

This sounded ridiculous to me because my truck has the factory puck system for GN/5W and the part numbers that I selected (68412885AA, 68412884AA) should have all the same features as my existing mirrors.

I then started texting with a friend who is a tech at a local dealership that is going to flash the PCM for me, and low and behold the parts catalog has a note for all the variants of towing mirrors saying that they can't be installed on trucks with sales codes LEM, LEN, or LER.

When he entered my VIN into his system, it shows LEM and LER installed, but the interesting thing is that it gives him the option of adding code LEG which is for the towing mirrors so that the power adjustment stays properly oriented whether the mirrors are flipped up or down.

Question - has anyone successfully installed towing mirrors on a truck that has sales codes LEM and LER?

My understanding is that the power folding towing mirrors were not available until the 2015 model year, and I am wondering (hoping) that the notes are possibly only applicable to 2014 and earlier models?

This has been very frustrating, so any insight or assistance would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Murderman,

I recently installed aftermarket tow mirrors for my 2011 (SLT currently with heated & adjustable but no puddles, or signals) after being told that OEM tow mirrors were no longer available for my year.

After the install the heating and remote adjusting features worked fine without anything additional. We did take it to a dealer to 'flash' and were told we were wasting our money and that it never works.

It worked!

I now have after market Tow Mirrors with functioning defrost, remote adjust, turn signals, and puddle lights.

Hope this helps....

Tim

2011 Dodge 2500 SLT
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderman View Post
I got a very respectable deal on a 2018 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, but the one feature it doesn't have that I would like to add is the towing mirrors.

After considering the 1A Auto and OEM options, I decided to bite the bullet and pay the premium for the OEM.

Bear in mind that with the options I currently have on my sport mirrors.... power, heated, power folding, turn signals, puddle lights, memory, and ambient temp sensor (driver side).... we are talking nearly $1,000 for the OEM parts!

I placed the order with the online dealer having the best price, and they sent an email asking for my VIN. I sent them the VIN thinking good on them to double check the application, and got a return email that says they talked with Chrysler and NONE of the factory towing mirrors can be added to my truck because it has sales codes LER (power folding) and LEM (memory).

This sounded ridiculous to me because my truck has the factory puck system for GN/5W and the part numbers that I selected (68412885AA, 68412884AA) should have all the same features as my existing mirrors.

I then started texting with a friend who is a tech at a local dealership that is going to flash the PCM for me, and low and behold the parts catalog has a note for all the variants of towing mirrors saying that they can't be installed on trucks with sales codes LEM, LEN, or LER.

When he entered my VIN into his system, it shows LEM and LER installed, but the interesting thing is that it gives him the option of adding code LEG which is for the towing mirrors so that the power adjustment stays properly oriented whether the mirrors are flipped up or down.

Question - has anyone successfully installed towing mirrors on a truck that has sales codes LEM and LER?

My understanding is that the power folding towing mirrors were not available until the 2015 model year, and I am wondering (hoping) that the notes are possibly only applicable to 2014 and earlier models?

This has been very frustrating, so any insight or assistance would be most appreciated. Thank you!

You are WAY overthinking this.

1. Buy mirrors.
2. Remove old mirrors, install new mirrors.
3. Done, if you want to stop at this point.

4. If you want adjustment arrows to work when folded out, then have your buddy add the proper sales code.

You can also get ALPHAobd and do it your self. This tool also allows you to enable many other features.

2014 RAM HD. Cummins 6.7 364.5SXE Turbo. EZLynk Tuned. Straight piped. Air-Ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTwo View Post

1. Buy mirrors.

4. If you want adjustment arrows to work when folded out, then have your buddy add the proper sales code.

You can also get ALPHAobd and do it your self. This tool also allows you to enable many other features.
Now that sounds like a response I would typically type!

Just to be 100% sure of the part numbers, I took the opportunity yesterday to pull the driver side door panels off my truck and a friend's truck that has towing mirrors with power fold, power, heated, turn signals, puddle lights, memory, and temp sensor. Low and behold, I had the correct part numbers to begin with. I will be re-ordering them tomorrow.

I intentionally left the "best" part out of my OP. The Chrysler rep who the parts dealer spoke with told them the following:

1) If I installed the specified mirrors on my truck, it would immediately void the warranty.
2) Because the specified driver side mirror doesn't have the Ambient Air Temperature sensor (which it does as verified yesterday), my transmission would explode....yep, he told them explode.
3) It would cost $14,000 to repair my out of warranty transmission.

Have you ever heard such BS....geez!

Shifting gears, I had read somewhere that the ALPHAobd would not work on 2018 models because of some sort of change that FCA made to the computers/software. Can anyone confirm that it will definitely work on a 2018? I am all for DIY versus going to a dealer for anything, even though the tech is a friend of mine. Thanks.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTwo View Post

1. Buy mirrors.

Now that sounds like a response I would typically type!

Just to be 100% sure of the part numbers, I took the opportunity yesterday to pull the driver side door panels off my truck and a friend's truck that has towing mirrors with power fold, power, heated, turn signals, puddle lights, memory, and temp sensor. Low and behold, I had the correct part numbers to begin with. I will be re-ordering them tomorrow.

I intentionally left the "best" part out of my OP. The Chrysler rep who the parts dealer spoke with told them the following:

1) If I installed the specified mirrors on my truck, it would immediately void the warranty.
2) Because the specified driver side mirror doesn't have the Ambient Air Temperature sensor (which it does as verified yesterday), my transmission would explode....yep, he told them explode.
3) It would cost $14,000 to repair my out of warranty transmission.

Have you ever heard such BS....geez!

Shifting gears, I had read somewhere that the ALPHAobd would not work on 2018 models because of some sort of change that FCA made to the computers/software. Can anyone confirm that it will definitely work on a 2018? I am all for DIY versus going to a dealer for anything, even though the tech is a friend of mine. Thanks.
Yes you just need an extra cable. There’s a lot of info on ramforum for AlfaOBD and where to get the cable

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
The Following User Says Thank You to Lins For This Useful Post:
murderman (09-08-2019)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Yes you just need an extra cable. There’s a lot of info on ramforum for AlfaOBD and where to get the cable
Ok thanks, I'll check over there. I am pretty new to the FCA platforms.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:38 PM

My 08 3500 srw doesn't have tow and I plan to upgrade also. I don't understand why they would make any of these 2500 3500 diesel trucks without tow mirrors.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Ok thanks, I'll check over there. I am pretty new to the FCA platforms.
Did you end up getting any mirrors? My wife has apparently been trying to surprise me by getting tow mirrors and we're running into the exact same sales code issues. We know the parts person personally (I've ordered parts from him for 20 years at a couple places) and even with a phone call by him to FCA, FCA does not want to sell the mirrors to our VIN. There are work arounds, but I just want to know what the issue is. There is apparently a part number that will work from FCA, but it's not being manufactured till at least March (originally they were hoping for November). A big online Mopar dealer says they will work, another said they can order the modules that will permit the arrows to work correctly when flipped out (I'm not too concerned with that, but it would be nice).

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi

Garage
My 18 has power fold, memory, and are towing mirrors. not sure why they are telling you that those options aren't available when they clearly are. I'd say get them, install them, add the tow mirror sales code. and be done with it

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change
Make your puddle lights great again!
SUPPORT SITE VENDORS, THEY MAKE ALL THIS POSSIBLE
HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi

Garage
@murderman I just sent you a PM with my VIN for your buddy to run to see what codes are listed on my truck, to compare to yours. So he should be able to see what needs to be changed

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change
Make your puddle lights great again!
SUPPORT SITE VENDORS, THEY MAKE ALL THIS POSSIBLE
HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Did you end up getting any mirrors? My wife has apparently been trying to surprise me by getting tow mirrors and we're running into the exact same sales code issues. We know the parts person personally (I've ordered parts from him for 20 years at a couple places) and even with a phone call by him to FCA, FCA does not want to sell the mirrors to our VIN. There are work arounds, but I just want to know what the issue is. There is apparently a part number that will work from FCA, but it's not being manufactured till at least March (originally they were hoping for November). A big online Mopar dealer says they will work, another said they can order the modules that will permit the arrows to work correctly when flipped out (I'm not too concerned with that, but it would be nice).
Yes, I did end up getting the OEM tow mirrors black with power adjust, heated, puddle lights, turn signals, memory, and power fold with the ambient temp sensor in the driver side mirror.

I have not flashed the BCM yet for the power adjust switches to work in the proper orientation when flipped-up, but I just haven't gotten around to it and they are not hard to operate the way they are. It is on my to do list.

The passenger side mirror takes a little getting used to when flipped down because the convex mirror is oriented vertically versus horizontally, but they work great when flipped up, especially when towing my JKU.

The part numbers for the mirrors themselves are:
Driver - 68412885AC
Passenger - 68412884AC

The reinforcement brackets are:
68078242AA & 68078243AA

I bought the M6 half hex rivet nuts from Amazon, and the M6 flange bolts from the local Ace hardware.

My truck has the following sales codes as delivered:
LEB - turn signals
LEC - puddle lights
LEM - memory
LER - power folding

The corresponding door modules in my truck are:
Driver - 68225103AC
Passenger - 68225102AC

As mentioned above, I haven't had the chance to get the LEG sales code flashed into my BCM yet, but my dealership tech friend said it was an available option for my truck on his computer when he ran my VIN.

Hope this helps.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
The corresponding door modules in my truck are:
Driver - 68225103AC
Passenger - 68225102AC
Those are what came in your truck or that you installed? I have a different part number recommended to install. I'm curious how those modules work once it's flashed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode