Retrofitting tow mirrors with sales codes LER and LEM? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
murderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Those are what came in your truck or that you installed? I have a different part number recommended to install. I'm curious how those modules work once it's flashed.
Those are what came in my truck.

My research has shown that there are only two "categories" of door modules, termed "base" and "premium" on the respective wiring diagrams for same. My sport mirrors just didn't have a conductor in their harnesses that goes to the flip-up input pin on the door modules.

I have a friend whose 2017 has a 68233219AC door module (I can't remember which side that was, I think driver) for the fully loaded tow mirrors, and that P/N door module has since been superseded by 68286791AA.

The supposition is that if you have any of the fancy options, your door modules should work with all of the fancy options, so long as the correct sales codes get flashed into the BCM, but I have no direct confirmation of this. The door modules are pretty inexpensive compared with the mirrors themselves.

murderman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Diesel Head
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Yellowknife, NT, Canada
Posts: 2,796
Thanks: 10
Thanked 183 Times in 180 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderman View Post
Those are what came in my truck.

My research has shown that there are only two "categories" of door modules, termed "base" and "premium" on the respective wiring diagrams for same. My sport mirrors just didn't have a conductor in their harnesses that goes to the flip-up input pin on the door modules.

I have a friend whose 2017 has a 68233219AC door module (I can't remember which side that was, I think driver) for the fully loaded tow mirrors, and that P/N door module has since been superseded by 68286791AA.

The supposition is that if you have any of the fancy options, your door modules should work with all of the fancy options, so long as the correct sales codes get flashed into the BCM, but I have no direct confirmation of this. The door modules are pretty inexpensive compared with the mirrors themselves.
Ok, 68286791AA and 68286790AA are what were recommended, not sure what's actually installed currently. When do you plan on getting the flash done?

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
Lins is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 9
Thanked 189 Times in 172 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Ok, 68286791AA and 68286790AA are what were recommended, not sure what's actually installed currently. When do you plan on getting the flash done?
For the door modules, there are many part numbers from 2013-2018, but they are all interchangeable, with only ONE difference in features between two types of modules- you either have door modules that support every single mirror option EXCEPT power folding mirrors, or you have door modules that support every single mirror option INCLUDING power folding mirrors. Anything else is just a matter of how they are configured via sales code by the dealer, or by setting them with AlfaOBD. You can take the door modules out of a Durango or grand Cherokee, and configure them for our trucks.
The door module part numbers you posted support power folding mirrors.
Loki223 and Lins like this.
Jimmy07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Diesel Head
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Yellowknife, NT, Canada
Posts: 2,796
Thanks: 10
Thanked 183 Times in 180 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy07 View Post
For the door modules, there are many part numbers from 2013-2018, but they are all interchangeable, with only ONE difference in features between two types of modules- you either have door modules that support every single mirror option EXCEPT power folding mirrors, or you have door modules that support every single mirror option INCLUDING power folding mirrors. Anything else is just a matter of how they are configured via sales code by the dealer, or by setting them with AlfaOBD. You can take the door modules out of a Durango or grand Cherokee, and configure them for our trucks.
The door module part numbers you posted support power folding mirrors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderman View Post
Those are what came in my truck.

My research has shown that there are only two "categories" of door modules, termed "base" and "premium" on the respective wiring diagrams for same. My sport mirrors just didn't have a conductor in their harnesses that goes to the flip-up input pin on the door modules.
So piecing this all together for anyone coming across it ...I have power folding (sport) mirrors from factory so there's no reason to get modules - they all accept the flip up input. The BCM just needs to be flashed to recognize it.

I'm just baffled that FCA says you can't install these at all on some trucks. Are they just trying to sell you a new vehicle instead of charging you to activate a sales code?

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
Lins is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Diesel Head
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Yellowknife, NT, Canada
Posts: 2,796
Thanks: 10
Thanked 183 Times in 180 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderman View Post

I intentionally left the "best" part out of my OP. The Chrysler rep who the parts dealer spoke with told them the following:

1) If I installed the specified mirrors on my truck, it would immediately void the warranty.
2) Because the specified driver side mirror doesn't have the Ambient Air Temperature sensor (which it does as verified yesterday), my transmission would explode....yep, he told them explode.
3) It would cost $14,000 to repair my out of warranty transmission.

Have you ever heard such BS....geez!
The rep told our parts guy they're physically different and would likely have to paint the doors.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
Lins is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,399
Thanks: 9
Thanked 189 Times in 172 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
So piecing this all together for anyone coming across it ...I have power folding (sport) mirrors from factory so there's no reason to get modules - they all accept the flip up input. The BCM just needs to be flashed to recognize it.

I'm just baffled that FCA says you can't install these at all on some trucks. Are they just trying to sell you a new vehicle instead of charging you to activate a sales code?
The only thing the parts guy sees when he looks up the vin of a truck, is the part number that was installed when that truck was built. Itís not his job to guess if some other part number will work. He can look up a part number, and all it will give him is a list of vehicles and a list of sales codes associated with that part number, but itís too confusing for him to be able to tell a customer for absolute certain if itíll work on your truck. Thatís why the best thing to do when youíre making upgrades and ordering parts, is to search auto trader for a truck that is equipped with the option you want, and give THAT vin to the parts guy.
SRich12 likes this.
Jimmy07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome