Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Non-Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-non-powertrain/)
-   -   2015 Ram 3500 cab chassis drw flat bed: Are there front adjustable ball joint options (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-non-powertrain/2507481-2015-ram-3500-cab-chassis-drw-flat-bed-there-front-adjustable-ball-joint-options.html)

Justinthecoastie 08-01-2019 02:56 PM

2015 Ram 3500 cab chassis drw flat bed: Are there front adjustable ball joint options

Hey everyone, I’m looking for recommendations for front adjustable ball joints for my truck. Im attempting to correct the documented front passenger outer tire wear issue, however, I’m not too familiar with the adjustable ball joint market for the ram truck(I’m familiar with the Jeep market). Please if anyone has use adjustable ball joints for the year and model of my truck please let me know which one(s) worked for you. I currently have the synergy toe rod, drag link pieces that are awesome.Thank you!

gsbrockman 08-01-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justinthecoastie (Post 29048225)
Hey everyone, Iím looking for recommendations for front adjustable ball joints for my truck. Im attempting to correct the documented front passenger outer tire wear issue, however, Iím not too familiar with the adjustable ball joint market for the ram truck(Iím familiar with the Jeep market). Please if anyone has use adjustable ball joints for the year and model of my truck please let me know which one(s) worked for you. I currently have the synergy toe rod, drag link pieces that are awesome.Thank you!

For a very, very large percentage of owners, setting the toe as close to zero as possible has corrected almost all complaints of R/F tire wear.

.44mag 08-01-2019 11:12 PM

^^^^That^^^^^^

EricPeterson 08-02-2019 12:18 AM

(1) Ditto. The difference between the factory specified toe and near neutral toe -- just a fraction of a rotation of your Synergy tie rod adjuster sleeve -- will be enough to eliminate the outside edge tire wear. I saw it, big time, until I neutralized toe ... and then the rapid wear vanished. Going on 30,000 miles now and the outside edges of my fronts are almost as square as the outside edges of my rears.

Adjust the toe yourself. Takes about half an hour, if you take your time:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...duct-tape.html

(2) I see an adjustable ball joint set for our trucks on ebay -- $125 for the full kit, adjustable uppers, 1-star review, manufacturer XRF, "OEM quality". By all accounts, we'll be replacing them soon enough anyway. I don't see any reason to complicate things by installing units that would either be weaker, provide even less wear contact surface, or represent additional points of failure. And how the heck can a manufacturer move the whole set of 4 for $125 when a Moog set is pushing $400 and a Carli set is $800???? That's just scary.

(3) I submit that if you need adjustable ball joints to correct out of parallel caster or excessive camber in either direction, your knuckles and/or your axle are themselves suspect.

JMHOs

.44mag 08-02-2019 12:55 AM

Cam bolts next to the front on the radius arms should take care of caster.

K9Kodi 08-02-2019 09:23 AM

My factory tires were ty nexens. Wore the outside quick. Next set of tires, got aligned, wore the outside like crazy with factory alignment specs. Finally got new tires again, went with thuren fabrications recommended specs, truck drives better and wears tires evenly!

EricPeterson 08-02-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .44mag (Post 29048689)
Cam bolts next to the front on the radius arms should take care of caster.

In case you were responding to my post above above yours, yes, of course, but not differential, or out-of-parallel caster. You can't twist the axle tube. The only way to fix that is with eccentric ball joints, or by welding and re-drilling the knuckle, or by grinding the knuckle yoke off the axle, rotating it, and re-welding it.

But differential caster should not happen. It would have to be damage or gross manufacturing error.

.44mag 08-02-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricPeterson (Post 29048857)

But differential caster should not happen. It would have to be damage or gross manufacturing error.

Yup. That part. Generally offset bushings for ball joints/king pins adjust camber. Some can compensate for some caster.

My original post was just an in general comment.

Justinthecoastie 08-23-2019 09:03 PM

Update: I forgot to mention, I also have a 2.5” leveling kit. The alignment shop still was unable to get thuren’s specs in, tomorrow I can’t list what specs they got.

Jimmy N. 08-23-2019 09:38 PM

A leveling kit on a C&C?!?
I thought those were strictly for vain pickup people.

1ton 08-24-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy N. (Post 29069141)

Thanks for the laugh! I was thinking very similar to you when I read the post. :agree2:

tow mirrors in 08-24-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy N. (Post 29069141)

Supersprings makes a 2 inch spring lift designed for trucks with heavy front ends, like snowplows or heavy bumpers.

That said, I have 37's and no lift so...