ATS Transmission - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ATS Transmission

Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone out there running an ATS trans behind there 6.7 Cummins had any feedback about how they felt about it? I heard a lot an seen posts from past years, but nothing too recent, I ordered one to say the least anyways, their stage 3 package with co-pilot, once she’s in I’ll try to give anyone curious an update on my impressions/opinion on it, biggest thing for me was the warranty, after deleting my 17, with only 10k miles, I don’t have one anymore so atleast I’ll have this....anyone else’s input or experience would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17cumminslong View Post
Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone out there running an ATS trans behind there 6.7 Cummins had any feedback about how they felt about it? I heard a lot an seen posts from past years, but nothing too recent, I ordered one to say the least anyways, their stage 3 package with co-pilot, once she’s in I’ll try to give anyone curious an update on my impressions/opinion on it, biggest thing for me was the warranty, after deleting my 17, with only 10k miles, I don’t have one anymore so atleast I’ll have this....anyone else’s input or experience would be appreciated! Thanks!!
in 2014 I had ATS put a complete transmission and their transmission power commander (that may or may not be what they call it but same idea)..

it was the worse piece of crap ever.. (I spent 16000.00 at ATS)..
it never shifted right.. it would stick in 3rd gear and would lose all power. pick the issue and it happened..

ATS never stood behind their work.. always blaming something else.. it took a lawyer and ripping out their control module to get the trans replaced and it was almost as bad..

Nope dont give them your money.. it will only cause you problem after problem.. and a lot of lawyer fees...............

I forgot to add.. it was so bad I got rid of the truck altogether.. pretty much gave it away because every time someone would test drive it .. the transmission would act up so bad
the person would just walk away..

I got a new ram dually instead.. so in other words.. I spent 70k to make an ATS problem go away.. JMHO

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Dually
The Following User Says Thank You to ktwillys For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (06-09-2019)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Hate to hear that from you, I’m really hoping they changed their ways and how they do things, I read a lot up on them their materials used and they don’t seem to be the same ats trans builders they were even 3 years ago, hard to believe that much has changed but to me it seems that way, I put my trust in them and their warranty, everyone on here can harp on them but I guarantee they never owned an ats trans just talkin from hearing the next guy said...I will let y’all know how my experience goes with them and their product, so far it’s been good customer communication wise....and setting expectations when that trans would be done and here to me... if anything Clint has talked up a good game in the videos I watched of him recently. Standby, trans will be going in Monday and we will see what ATS stage 3 is all about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:25 AM
Cummins Fan

I have the Stage 3 68 RFE in my truck and haven't had any issues with it yet. I only run a 80 hp tune until I get studs in, but it handles it well. It shifts smooth for the most part and the torque converter (I have a low stall) works well with the trans. Sometimes the TC will have a rough TCC engagement, but that only happens when i chop the throttle accelerating.

The thing that sucks with their setup and the Co-Pilot is that it uses all the stock tuning in the TCM, so you have the same crappy trans tune from the factory and all it does is add more pressure to the system. That being said, it can probably benefit from a trans tune to make it all work better together.

My neighbor is a diesel tech and he only replaces trans' with ATS units and never has issues.

Hope this helps.

2016 PW Longhorn Mega- Deleted, 4" with muffler, Stage 3 ATS 68RFE, upgraded headlights, 6" Readylift, 37" SS
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback, makes me at ease, I have trans tuning but ats told me to take it out because of the co-pilot, said it was supposed to do all that and more so I’m hoping they revised it and it shifts nice when it should, either way that’s small talk compared to anything else I’ve heard, but as it always goes everyone will post and complain about a product but it’s rare you find people going around praising one,
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Also fankss did you have to do the relearn process after getting your ats installed, I haven’t called them yet to see if it’s required or not, I know on rebuilds yes, but being a whole new trans and that they “test” it before shipping out to you I wasn’t sure if it was required or not....also with the co-pilot in place I didn’t know if that made a change either as to if you needed to do a relearn?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Update! If anybody’s care’s....so my truck broke it’s sprag gear may 4th I was on the beach in Florida here and put it in 4x4 to get out the sand leaving, it started jumping/hoping really bad and that’s when it went limp, was able to limp in home with the gear selector shifting between 1st and 2nd at the right moment as it would lose 1st on the tail end of the gear range, so a later that week (Thurs may9th) I finally decided on the route I would take for replacement, an ATS stage 3, a lot to do with the warranty, trans arrived at the shop I have taking out and installing the new on June 5th (wed)....all good except they shipped it with the wrong year flex plate...so shop owner calls them up gets it straight and they are going to send the right one 2-3 business days... Monday comes and no sight yet, I call ATS to try and get a tracking number or something, they look up my profile, oh sorry sir we haven’t shipped it yet, they are on backorder and should be in this week...now I’m kinda upset, I call right back, and I get a diff gentlemen, to tell them I’m willing to pay the overnight fee for when they come in, he says well let me see, sometimes they “stash” some for emergency purposes and I’ll call you back in 20min. About 4hrs later I call back to see what happened and if they have one around or not, he says oh we didn’t call you? I’m guessing another guy was supposed to call me back and tell me they had it....well they did have one laying around, and they are overnighting it. Today it comes in... and I asked both gentlemen for their names to give them a good review and thank them for overnighting it to me no charge, which I do appreciate and thank you Jeff and Scott for coming threw with one, it showed up late tho so my trans guy couldn’t put it in till tomorrow, but anyways looking back at the whole situation I can’t help but wonder, I’m betting they had them, never shipped it out from last week like they were supposed to and covered their by saying it was on backorder and then miraculously they have a hidden “stash” with one and they will overnight it free....I’m appreciative of it all and will be more once my truck back tomorrow which should of been done Wednesday last week if they had got it right the first time and I know ppl make mistakes, but if I never called them right back to try and pay for the overnight shipping then where would that have gone??? Anyways thanks Jeff and Scott for atleast getting it overnight to me, I’m not a salty person and maybe what happen was true but you can’t help but wonder....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17cumminslong View Post
Also fankss did you have to do the relearn process after getting your ats installed, I havenít called them yet to see if itís required or not, I know on rebuilds yes, but being a whole new trans and that they ďtestĒ it before shipping out to you I wasnít sure if it was required or not....also with the co-pilot in place I didnít know if that made a change either as to if you needed to do a relearn?
Yes you will have to do a relearn on the trans. There is a in depth process the installer has to do when they put it in as well, so they will start the relearn process.

The warranty is the main reason I went with the ATS trans as well. 5 yr/500k mi is a good warranty to have on any hard parts breaking.

2016 PW Longhorn Mega- Deleted, 4" with muffler, Stage 3 ATS 68RFE, upgraded headlights, 6" Readylift, 37" SS
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Cummins Fan

Any updates?

Contemplating about doing their valve body upgrade but that's 800 plus i gotta get the autopilot another 800. Thinking i can get revmax for just under 700 and have anarchy tune for transmission to,I'm still thinking whats the best route to take for now

2016 2500 bighorn black appearance
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Do it through the tuning save some money and let them keep (THE BOX) wiring etc...
Tuning can produce a better end product.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
The Following User Says Thank You to N of 60 For This Useful Post:
redyute (06-14-2019)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:08 PM

I'm on my second ATS stage 3 transmission the first one lasting over100k miles before the overdrive clutches went. I had no warranty because it was in the truck when I bought it in 2014. The first transmission survived lots of drag racing at the strip, towing and aggressive tuning with Smarty Sr. When I went to a big single the overdrive clutches went out. Always had issues with the CoPilot so I pulled it out and now I run revmax tuning. Best choice I've ever made, shift points, line pressure spot on. Overall ATS hasn't let me down but I know a lot of other people who feel differently. I hope you have good experiences with yours.
frankss likes this.

2009 6.7 Laramie / EFI LIVE / S467.7 2nd Gen Swap / ATS stage 3 / RevMax TCM / H&S intake horn/ARP headstuds / 5 in TBE / Carli Performance 2.5 3 inch lift
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok...update trans shop didn’t do a quick learn, drove it down the street and back I’d say it’s 100yrds maybe alittle more each way, claims didn’t go over 30mph also.....got a P0871 code when he scanned it back at the shop......idiots. I told them to call me before they drove or did anything as I had to re-flash the truck with revamped tunes (more hp gains) without trans tuning because I bought the copilot and ATS said not to run both simultainiously....so he did and after calling ATS to explain what happened they said most likely the valve body is shot now and could’ve possibly done more damage, but they are going to send me a new valve body under warranty and hopefully that fixes the issue and nothing else was damaged...this happened Wed June 12th and it’s going to take 3-5 business days for them build one (because of coarse they don’t have them laying around) and then ship it, which this time I had to pay for overnight shipping to get here faster, lasts time was free overnight because they sent the wrong flexplate w trans...so I’m hoping by next wed it’s here then it will be installed prolly next day I’m sure....hoping to have it by next weekend, not the greatest father’s day gift. I’ll be glad when it’s over and I can give just a feedback on how the trans performs lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode