Amp draw on Aux switches - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH64ID View Post
I found a spec sheet, and max amp draw is 68.6A, so you will need to have an additional solenoid to provide the power required. May as well just use a 10A fuse on that aux switch.

https://www.arb.com.au/assets/air-lockers/6-07.pdf
Good catch, I looked but didnít find the document. I have it now. OP get yourself a good relay and some 10AWG or bigger wire and use an aux switch to control it. You will be good to go after that.

2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed
The Following User Says Thank You to Don_T For This Useful Post:
tankerpilot01 (04-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
The OE system already has a relay, so if the amp draw is within the OE spec then no additional relay/solenoid is required.

I would say use a relay/solenoid if it was just the switch passing the current, but it's not.

That being said, it looks like the amp draw is not 28A peak, but rather 28A minimum.

I found a spec sheet, and max amp draw is 68.6A, so you will need to have an additional solenoid to provide the power required. May as well just use a 10A fuse on that aux switch.

Thanks all! So a new solenoid rated for say 70A to provide the power to compressors; then just use the AUX switch to actuate it essentially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rat
-----------
2018 3500 Limited Tungsten 4x4 Dually-True Blue Pearl - CC - 8'
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
The OE system already has a relay, so if the amp draw is within the OE spec then no additional relay/solenoid is required.

I would say use a relay/solenoid if it was just the switch passing the current, but it's not.

That being said, it looks like the amp draw is not 28A peak, but rather 28A minimum.

Oh: good find! I couldnít find that much detail with the amp draws at various loads. Thanks!

Rat
-----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Relays and solenoids are cheap. Please use one.

Iím hopeful the shop doing my install (ARB dealer) knows what theyíre doing; but I like to educate myself so I can: ďtrust, but verify!Ē

So 10 gauge wire from battery feeding a relay/solenoid (are both required? Or the terms being used interchangeably)? Then to ARB dual compressor unit (with a fuse of course); so knowing 68A max draw; do you use a 70A fuse? I assume then the solenoid/relay then have to be appropriately rated for that current draw too. Then you use the AUX switch to trip the relay/solenoid; which thus turns on the compressors.

Been 25 years since my electronics class in high school!

Rat
-----------
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 PM
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,035 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerpilot01 View Post
Thanks all! So a new solenoid rated for say 70A to provide the power to compressors; then just use the AUX switch to actuate it essentially

Exactly. That's how I'll be using my Aux switches for my winch solenoid.
tankerpilot01 likes this.

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB
6.7, Aisin, Auto-Level
The Following User Says Thank You to AH64ID For This Useful Post:
tankerpilot01 (04-04-2019)
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:59 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:

I found a spec sheet, and max amp draw is 68.6A, so you will need to have an additional solenoid to provide the power required.
Looks like you summed it up in one post. But even if the OE relay would technically handle the draw, I'd rather use it to power my own external solenoid, that's easily replaceable.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:30 PM
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Quote:
But even if the OE relay would technically handle the draw, I'd rather use it to power my own external solenoid, that's easily replaceable.
The OE aux switch setup has its own fuse/relay box. They are very easily replaceable.

Within the OE fuse sizing it’s a very well thought out system.

6.7, Aisin, Auto-Level
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
The OE aux switch setup has its own fuse/relay box. They are very easily replaceable.

Within the OE fuse sizing itís a very well thought out system.
I'm not arguing that. But to me, having a separate solenoid doing the hard work, one that can be bought just about anywhere, is still more appealing.
And it could be easily made to turn on and off, should the aux switch system decide not to function.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:03 AM
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Quote:

I'm not arguing that. But to me, having a separate solenoid doing the hard work, one that can be bought just about anywhere, is still more appealing.
And it could be easily made to turn on and off, should the aux switch system decide not to function.
Pretty sure that they are standard automotive relays that can be bought anywhere.

Yes harder to bypass, but if the aux switches all quit working you have bigger problems than just the aux switches... you likely have a computer issues that will effects lots of other things.

Why clutter crap up underhood if you don't have to? That's one of the best benefits to the aux switches. If you want to run your own relays/solenoids for things that have a 40A or less requirement then don't bother with aux switches.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:08 AM
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Quote:

Pretty sure that they are standard automotive relays that can be bought anywhere, and they are plenty capable for a 40A circuit. Think about your fuel heaters, seat warmers, etc... There are lots of 30/40A circuits already on the truck with OE relays doing the "hard" work are you going to rewire them?

Yes harder to bypass, but if the aux switches all quit working you have bigger problems than just the aux switches... you likely have a computer issues that will effects lots of other things.

Why clutter crap up underhood if you don't have to? That's one of the best benefits to the aux switches. If you want to run your own relays/solenoids for things that have a 40A or less requirement then don't bother with aux switches.

6.7, Aisin, Auto-Level
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
I wouldn't clutter anything up under the hood. Instead I'd mount the solenoid close to the power consumer, where it's supposed to be, and only run a small primary wire from the connector to the solenoid.

Yes, I use a couple of my aux. switches for low-draw applications, but have also installed a couple of other switches, to run some of the VSIM functions.
Sure, I could've used the Aux switches, but ended up with less wiring under the hood that way, and nothing new going through the firewall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode