Thuren 1/2" lowering coils? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By GlennC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thuren 1/2" lowering coils?

Anyone using these on the rear? I searched and didn't find anything.
I would plan on doing some air bags for when I need to pull. 2017 4x, came with bilsteins and I've lowered the psi on the tires to 50 or so. Does ride well, but I think it would be better with softer springs in the rear. Traded a 15 ecodiesel in on this one, it was the best riding anything I've driven. I would even consider running some lifted 1/2 ton coils (with air bags when needed), I just don't really want to lift or lower the truck much. Ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to GlennC For This Useful Post:
afawbush (10-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 PM

Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,592 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
You can definitely soften up the rear with the Thuren coils. I do not really recommend air bags on the 2500s, especially after lowering the rear, due to the limited amount of space that is available for the bag and the mount. You will be much better served by a set of Timbrens when you need extra capacity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give Us a Call for All Your Suspension, Lighting, and Wheel Needs!
Carli systems free shipping to Canada and U.S.A. Free 2-day air on Carli Ball Joints
424.241.3252 x700

The Following User Says Thank You to Rhinopkc For This Useful Post:
Cummins0867 (10-16-2017)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Thanks for the info. Anybody have experience with 1/2" drop spring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:50 PM

I put them on my 2016 ccsb. They lowered the rear right at 1/2 inch. I live in Bend, and was given the coils by accident.... swapped out for the 1 inch lift coils. The ride quality is greatly improved with thuren parts for sure. I wouldn't however recommend running an f rated tire unless you don't mind running low pressure. I had the nitto ridge grappler 12 ply's that ran like sh**. I also had a vibration in the rear which drove me nuts enough to get rid of the truck..... after 6 trips to my local dealership that couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Great, thanks for the info.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:40 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjochinsen View Post
I put them on my 2016 ccsb. They lowered the rear right at 1/2 inch. I live in Bend, and was given the coils by accident.... swapped out for the 1 inch lift coils. The ride quality is greatly improved with thuren parts for sure. I wouldn't however recommend running an f rated tire unless you don't mind running low pressure. I had the nitto ridge grappler 12 ply's that ran like sh**. I also had a vibration in the rear which drove me nuts enough to get rid of the truck..... after 6 trips to my local dealership that couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

Literally the first person I have seen with a negative review on the ridge grapplers. Mine have been excellent for 7000 miles. Iíd buy another set for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 Big Horn 2500 6.7/Auto - Thuren - Method - Nitto - Amp Research
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:42 PM

I think it was the combo of the tires and coils that made it ride bad. Soft active coils with stiff sidewall tires= a vibrating 3/4 ton.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:01 PM

Thuren 1/2" lowering coils?

I'm running Thuren springs and Hellwig big wig bags. The ride is soft but not 'squishy' and I leave 12-14 pounds in the bags with no load and it's like they aren't even there (as far as ride quality goes). It doesn't take much with these bags to level a load. The most I've put in them is 44 psi hauling a Ford 545 skip n drag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2014 2500 CCSB, g56, BFG AT, FMJ bedliner
'91 Wrangler 4.0, 4.5" RE, 33" Duratracs
Sold-'06 Duramax 211k miles
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Just wrapping this up. Several months ago I installed Thuren 1" front coils, they do seem somewhat softer than stock and improved ride somewhat. Last weekend I put on the Thuren 1" rear coils, the ride quality difference is stunning. Feedback from the back of the truck is negligible and is on par with my the ecodiesel, which is the best riding vehicle I've driven.

Still looks stock'ish too. I have a set of Timbrens, didn't like the way they ride, will be ordering air bags shortly.
Don_T likes this.

2017, 2500, 4x
The Following User Says Thank You to GlennC For This Useful Post:
2500/6 (02-25-2019)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
Just wrapping this up. Several months ago I installed Thuren 1" front coils, they do seem somewhat softer than stock and improved ride somewhat. Last weekend I put on the Thuren 1" rear coils, the ride quality difference is stunning. Feedback from the back of the truck is negligible and is on par with my the ecodiesel, which is the best riding vehicle I've driven.

Still looks stock'ish too. I have a set of Timbrens, didn't like the way they ride, will be ordering air bags shortly.

I bought a set of timbrens for my 3500 and I canít stand the way it rides unloaded. Iíll be doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 5.9 2500 MC, 3" Carli starter system, Carli Track bar, Carli BJs, steering box brace, 35" Toyo RTs, stock engine and tranny.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:50 AM
Cummins Nut

Anyone using these still and have any reviews on them?

Anyone have some photos of the before and after installing these springs?

Get some
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 PM

I am leaning towards the drop coils in the rear, with a 1 or 2" in the front on my 2018 mega. That should get to where there is zero rake. Not finding much on the drop coils either. I honestly think most people are looking for that lifted look instead. I'd reverse level all the way, but after measuring the distances for the bump stop, the travel wouldn't be much before you were riding on the bump stop if you took 2-2.75" out of the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in