Brakes locking up - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Cab & Chassis Discussion of performance, powertrain, and non-powertrain on Cab & Chassis Trucks....NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bedlam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Brakes locking up

We have a 15 5500 with 32000 miles. This week the brakes (at first the front) and now the back will lock up or start dragging on their own without pushing the pedal. The only way to get the truck moving again is bleeding them. Took it to a dealer and it happened to them and they want to replace the power steering pump,hydroboost,master cylinder and all the calipers and rotors as well. Telling me around $11000.

I call BS and tell them that all of those components cant be bad with this few of miles and at the same time. Anyone else seen this??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:22 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
What that dealer is telling you is that they have no troubleshooting ability and they will throw parts at the problem until it goes away. I suggest you try another dealer or an independent shop that works on brakes.

You bled the brakes to release the calipers. Have you tried to flush the brake fluid to see if there contaminates blocking the lines?
Jimmy N. likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Haven't done anything yet because the truck is at the dealer. I just wanted to share my issue to see if someone else has had it happen. I've talked to 3 service departments and none of them have any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
I would start with fluid contamination (doing a flush) and then look at error codes related to ABS braking. You are not the only one that has issues with FCA dealers - I like my truck but don't have much confidence in my local dealers beyond routine service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Diesel Freak

have you removed the slide pins and inspected? Could require some silicone paste.

2017 Ram 3500 Megacab, SLT, True Blue, SRW, CTD, AS69RC. Ubique
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Cummins Fan

Truck is parked for extended periods?

2015 SLT 3500 CC 68/3.42 SRW 4X4 Bright White and Stock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Diesel Head

If opening the bleeder releases the brakes it’s not a frozen slide. Something is holding residual pressure in the system. It could be contaminated fluid but it’s more likely in the master cylinder or possibly the hydroboost. We need to know if it’s the same calipers that always hang up or different each time. Both fronts or rears or only one? Both on one axle leads to booster or master. One on a given axle leads to caliper hose.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Diesel Head

I had a brake hose internally fail on my wrangler (2001 with 149k) and it acted as a check valve and held the drivers front caliper. I replaced the hoses up front and no issues since. if fluid contamination looks like a concern I would be willing to replace a few hoses for little $$$

my rig
96 2wd reg cab 2500, 462k miles, sport conversion, K&N. Replacment airfilter, 4in.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

took the truck to an independent garage. He got it to act up and noticed the power steering pump "humming" He thinks it had a valve sticking and making the oil overheat thus letting some thin hot oil to get by something and making the brakes apply. After replacing the pump he has driven over 40 miles and it hasn't acted up.

Sounds pretty strange but I'm not a mechanic.

The rear rotors,calipers and pads are shot though and will need replaced.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:13 AM

Why/how would the calipers be shot?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

They got so hot with the brakes dragging that the seals were melting and deformed.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Now we have a new power steering pump and a new problem. Now the pedal sometimes falls to the floor and you have to pump them to get brakes. Back to the shop for a master cylinder. But the truck steers easier than ever and they haven't locked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in