Factory Equipped Goose Neck Cross Member - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Cab & Chassis Discussion of performance, powertrain, and non-powertrain on Cab & Chassis Trucks....NO ADVERTISING

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimmy N.
  • 1 Post By EricPeterson
  • 1 Post By Jimmy N.
  • 2 Post By frogsaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Factory Equipped Goose Neck Cross Member

Hello all,

As an engineer, I understand that a lot goes into the design of a truck's frame, and at this point I am only exercising my curiosity... With that said, I have a 2014 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, DRW, with the 6.7 Cummins and Aisin Transmission. I am looking to replace the bed with a flatbed, and I am running into an issue with the cross member that the manufacturer provided to provide the "Factory Equipped Goose Neck". Apparently none or just none of the bed manufacturers that I have looked at to this new cross member into account with their bed designs. Because of this, both the flatbed and the truck frame have to be modified slightly to allow installation, but even then the bed sets higher than desired/intended. The bed provides the goose neck hitch, making the factory equipped one unnecessary/un-needed. I am curious to know if anyone has deleted this cross member, and if so, what was the outcome?

Thanks in advance,

James

2001 5.9L Cummins w/ Auto Transmission - Banks Big Hoss Tuner and Power Pack System, ATS 4000 Turbo, ATS BigFoot Exhaust Manifold and Pacbrake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 PM

are you talking about this piece in this picture

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/...saAvf7EALw_wcB

then it can be unbolted with out an issue. Any parts welded to the frame shouldn't be cut off.

2018 Ram 2500 SLT with G56
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I am talking about the section of the frame pictured in this attachment.

The part that you provided is not a cross member. It is the attachment for the cross member that can be added to Ram trucks that didn't come factory equipped with the goose neck hitch.

Since my question was "I am curious to know if anyone has deleted this cross member, and if so, what was the outcome?", and not "What is your opinion?", I'll assume that your response is "No".

The general statement that "Any parts welded to the frame shouldn't be cut off." is also incorrect. A significant portion of this forum's content is members that modify their truck's suspension with aftermarket kits that, in some cases, require permanent modification to the truck's frame such welding the frame, removing welded parts from the frame, and in some case, cutting the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	17
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	851157  

2001 5.9L Cummins w/ Auto Transmission - Banks Big Hoss Tuner and Power Pack System, ATS 4000 Turbo, ATS BigFoot Exhaust Manifold and Pacbrake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:06 PM

man sorry. Just trying to help.

2018 Ram 2500 SLT with G56
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Not a problem...I apologize if my response seemed critical. I am trying to be very specific about this question due to the high probability of catastrophic consequence to a $45,000 truck's frame if done incorrectly. Thanks for you help.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
My question would be whether this cross member is on all the frames regardless of the goose neck option. If so, it is most likely adding to the rigidity of the frame and will cause fatigue if removed. You may be able to remove it and add a new piece in place that does not interfere with the flat bed. If all the pickup frames now have this cross member, I'm sure there are flatbed manufactures that have modified their designs. Perhaps querying some larger manufacturers through their customer or application support lines will yield a product that does not require modification.

This was posted in the chassis cab section of the forum where we have straight frame rails at standard widths to avoid the fitment problems you are having. You may have better luck asking this question in the pickup section where people have had to deal with the curves and varying frame widths.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Diesel Head

I would remove whatever is necessary on the bed to accommodate the more intelligent mounting point for the gooseneck ball - the factory cross member.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the logic in transferring the forces involved through any more material than necessary (the bed), especially since from what I've seen, the way most beds are mounted is pretty sketchy.
luckyhat12 likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Diesel Freak

Hey... just to make absolutely certain that everyone's on the same page and to be sure there's no confusion....

You know that the back half of your pickup chassis is not the same as the back half of a cab & chassis model chassis, right? If you're talking to bed builders and they think you've got a C&C, you're talking at cross purposes.

That having been said, I believe Jimmy N above has quite a lot of experience fitting flatbeds to pickup chasses....
frogsaw likes this.

2016 3500 LL CC LB 4x4 CTD DRW Delmonico red. BDS 3" truss radius arms & 3" coils w/double Fox 2.0s. Synergy drag link & tie rod. Dual stabilizers.
Carli track bar. Carli torsion anti-sway. Synergy steering box stabilizer. Rear 2" blocks. Weldcraft 17x8 custom steel duallies w/Mickey Thompson 295/70-17 ATXP3s.
AEV axle covers. AEV vented hood. Luverne polished stainless steel boards. Bakflip MX4 hard cover. Bushwacker max coverage flares.
B-pillar vinyl delete. Mopar door chrome. Areion semi-truck flap mounts. Steelcraft polished stainless light guards.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Diesel Head

I wish, Eric. I got started on building a bed for a 3500 pickup, but never finished it.
Either way, it was going to use the factory frame for the gooseneck, taking stress off the bed itself, and its mounting points.

With my C&C I first tried finding a gooseneck setup for it, but failed. That left me no choice but relying on the "store bought" bed (wish I'd built my own), which in turn made it critical to come up with a stout mounting setup.
Which so far has worked very well, and I'm glad I made it a quick disconnect of sorts.
frogsaw likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I agree, Jimmy N! Thank you for your response.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Well the issue turns out to be much more simple than any of you predicted. The flatbed installer that I was talking to is one to be avoided. Apparently he doesn't know what he is doing. I spoke to another Norstar dealer/installer, and he contacted the engineers at Norstar. He reported that there should be zero interferences between the Norstar bed and the chassis or either the bed-off or C&C applications. He speculated that the dealer I was talking to previously was trying to adapt a bed that he already had to my application. Thank you all for providing your responses!
luckyhat12 and Jimmy N. like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode