Cummins Diesel Forum banner

P2459 Code....DPF Regeneration Frequency High

16K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BrianF 
#1 · (Edited)
P2459 Code....DPF Regeneration Frequency High

Just this past Wednesday, I ran into an issue regarding excessive regeneration with the ol’ 4500 on a trip to Salisbury, NC.

I had another run to Knox, IN Thursday and called Ken @Indytruckchampion on Friday.

He has a great tech there named Matt. He worked hard on trying to get another truck finished up Friday to begin diagnosing mine, but he ran into an issue that kept him on the other truck through quitting time.

I spent another night in Indy, and he got started on it first thing Saturday morning. The only CEL thrown was P2459....dpf regeneration frequency high. Upon diagnosing some things, it appears I have a compressor outlet temperature high issue. It was reading 205*F after sitting in the shop all night at ambient temps of about 60*F......all others sensors were reading current ambient temperatures. The EGR valve was dirty, and it was cleaned as well.

A call into STAR pointed Matt to check a couple of other things. After those checked out fine, it was escalated to someone at Cummins.

Hopefully I’ll have more info Monday.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just this past Wednesday, I ran into an issue regarding excessive regeneration with the ol’ 4500 on a trip to Salisbury, NC.

I had another run to Knox, IN Thursday and called Ken @Indytruckchampion on Friday.

He has a great tech there named Matt. He worked hard on trying to get another truck finished up Friday to begin diagnosing mine, but he ran into an issue that kept him on the other truck through quitting time.

I spent another night in Indy, and he got started on it first thing Saturday morning. The only CEL thrown was P2459....dpf regeneration frequency high. Upon diagnosing some things, it appears I have a compressor outlet temperature high issue. It was reading 205*F after sitting in the shop all night at ambient temps of about 60*F......all others sensors were reading current ambient temperatures. The EGR valve was dirty, and it was cleaned as well.

A call into STAR pointed Matt to check a couple of other things. After those checked out fine, it was escalated to someone at Cummins.

Hopefully I’ll have more info Monday.
Compressor outlet ? Are they referring to the turbo ?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes.....turbo.

Just got a message back from the diagnosing dealer in Indianapolis.

Looks like Cummins is recommending a new TMAP sensor, part number 68282012AA. No dealer around me has one, based on four phone calls I’ve made. Guess I’ll be looking online and have it shipped to home.......

Additionally......another truck in the shop was checked. The reading on my truck that was showing 205*F was more or less confirmed erroneous as the other truck’s same reading was ambient air temperature as well.

#4 ·
I made a run to St Paul, MN this week....delivered yesterday, and am back in Indianapolis at Ken’s dealership.

I am having the TMAP sensor replaced, and they’re doing some additional diagnostics before and after replacing the sensor.

I just rolled in around 1:30 EDT.

#5 ·
I received a phone call from Tom O’Brien RAM in Indianapolis on Wednesday.

It seems as if both FCA and Cummins are in agreement to change out the TMAP sensor.

I stopped by the dealership on Thursday, May 17th, for the new TMAP sensor.

After running a few more diagnostic and monitor checks prior to changing the sensor, as well as after changing the sensor, the TMAP sensor was confirmed bad.

Looks like I’m good to go! Fuel economy seems to have improved slightly, and the throttle response is a little better.

Hats off to Ken @Indytruckchampion and Matt at Tom O’Brien RAM in Indianapolis.

Reactions: BrianF
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.