4th Gen 15-19 Chevy Mirror Swap - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Cab & Chassis Discussion of performance, powertrain, and non-powertrain on Cab & Chassis Trucks....NO ADVERTISING

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
looking to do this on my 17 Ram. Did you take mounts off your old tow mirrors or drill holes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:33 AM

I did this mod to my 2017 Ram 2500. Like the OP said, no more blind spots. It took me a couple of hours to get this done, but so worth it. I did not drill any new holes on the doors, just had to oblong one of them. All the modifications were done to the mirror bases. Anyone wanting to do this, be prepared for aluminum dust everywhere and lots of cutting and grinding to make them fit right. Itís totally doable on a 4th gen. Thanks for the right up and wiring schematic! None of my wire colors matched, but I used the numbering of the plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seafish and 2500/6 like this.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Looks awesome. And yes it is really time consuming and the wiring is a pita that's why I made sure I posted for mine but I'm sure from 11 to 17 they changed the color code and probably the plug as well. I guess once enough of us do this the after market world will see and start making a plug and play version. I have thought about it and it would not be that hard to make a new pedestal to go from the chevy mirror to the ram door. But I couldnt do it cost effective enough with buying a set of mirrors and having to change that part. Youd be looking at 250 to 350 for a set not to mention the wiring would be a nightmare as well being I can not find where to get oem ram plug to wire onto the chevy mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh0324 View Post

I did this mod to my 2017 Ram 2500. Like the OP said, no more blind spots. It took me a couple of hours to get this done, but so worth it. I did not drill any new holes on the doors, just had to oblong one of them. All the modifications were done to the mirror bases. Anyone wanting to do this, be prepared for aluminum dust everywhere and lots of cutting and grinding to make them fit right. It’s totally doable on a 4th gen. Thanks for the right up and wiring schematic! None of my wire colors matched, but I used the numbering of the plugs.

jlh0324 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
I did this mod to my 2017 Ram 2500. Like the OP said, no more blind spots. It took me a couple of hours to get this done, but so worth it. I did not drill any new holes on the doors, just had to oblong one of them. All the modifications were done to the mirror bases. Anyone wanting to do this, be prepared for aluminum dust everywhere and lots of cutting and grinding to make them fit right. Itís totally doable on a 4th gen. Thanks for the right up and wiring schematic! None of my wire colors matched, but I used the numbering of the plugs.

Those look GREAT!!!

Would you mind posting a closer up pick on how the mirror bezel meets up with the door frame??
jlh0324 likes this.

2005 SLT 4x4 QC LB G56, GDP horn, HDCAI, SBC ConOFE,
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:11 AM

Did you run into the same problem as the OP with direction? Meaning up down left and right when controlling?
Where did you buy the mirrors?
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Thanks guys! Here are more pics of the mirror. I accidentally broke the tab on the hinge cover of the driver side mirror when I took it apart, but I have a replacement on order. You can see the only hole I had to oblong is the one towards the front of the truck to get the bezel to line up vertically with the window frame. I will be putting in some black vinyl to cover up the paint between mirror and window gasket.

Also added pics of the blinkers and the corner led running lights. I have the white led hooked up to the puddle, but Iím thinking of wiring them to cargo lights to turn on at anytime. These are super bright and might work for tailgaters with their high beams on. I also drilled a 1/8Ē hole for the temp sensor. It sits right next to the mirror hinge and probe is exposed for accurate temps.

I took a 600 mile drive recently and these are night and day compared to stock, easily one of the best mods Iíve done. I can honestly say that Ram shouldíve put these style mirrors from the factory.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlh0324 For This Useful Post:
2500/6 (01-29-2020), seafish (01-29-2020)
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquen View Post
Did you run into the same problem as the OP with direction? Meaning up down left and right when controlling?
Where did you buy the mirrors?

Yes, up and down work correctly, but left and right are backwards. It really doesnít bother me at all since they donít need constant adjusting.

I bought the mirrors from eBay. I canít post links yet, but search for ďFor 14 15 16 17 18 Chevy GMC Power+Heated Smoke Signal Tow Mirrors PairĒ.

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:19 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Also added pics of the blinkers and the corner led running lights. I have the white led hooked up to the puddle, but Iím thinking of wiring them to cargo lights to turn on at anytime. These are super bright and might work for tailgaters with their high beams on.
Those little backup LED's aren't going to do anything for tailgaters. They hardly light up the side of the truck let alone anything behind or to the side of the truck. They are bright but they really don't throw any useful light anywhere. I wired mine up to my reverse light switch, I really don't need them for anything other than a "warning" to others when I'm backing up.
Now the OEM Chevy mirrors if you can get ahold of them, those are said to actually do their job (the little reverse light LED's)...

I'm one of the original 3rd genners that did this mod. Still one of the best things I've done to my truck. I wired the running/puddle light to also be a blinker. The way the third gens are at least, there are 2 separate wires for running and blinker. I tied both of them to the puddle light power and put a resistor in-line with the running light power so it's a bit more dim than "normal". Then, when the blinker supplies power to that light, it will flash brighter each blink since the blinker power is at full force (no resistor). Works out pretty slick to have the running lights double as the blinker.

Glad to see this mod has taken off for the 4th gen, back when we did this there were a few who were thinking about it but worried the door card was too shallow and too much material would have to be removed from the mount for it to still be structural.

I laughed at "This is what Ram should have done from the factory...". Ha I don't think Dodge is going to start doing OEM Chevy parts anytime soon.
If you look at the brand new Chevy's though, their mirrors are hideous. Glad we'll have plenty of options up through '17 at least for mirror parts if we need them.

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashDH View Post
I laughed at "This is what Ram should have done from the factory...". Ha I don't think Dodge is going to start doing OEM Chevy parts anytime soon.

If you look at the brand new Chevy's though, their mirrors are hideous. Glad we'll have plenty of options up through '17 at least for mirror parts if we need them.

LOL! What I meant was, Ram should have designed their own style of these type of vertical mirrors like Ford and Chevy.

Another plus is losing the whistling from the stock mirrors. I was going crazy trying to find what that noise was and when I swapped these out it was gone.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
LOL! What I meant was, Ram should have designed their own style of these type of vertical mirrors like Ford and Chevy.

Another plus is losing the whistling from the stock mirrors. I was going crazy trying to find what that noise was and when I swapped these out it was gone.
Oh yea I agree on that one!

My buddy has the same year truck as me (04.5) and he's got the stock mirrors. When we go bike we shuttle trucks to the top for some runs. It was my turn to shuttle and I have been so used to my mirror swap, I was trying to see out his OEM mirrors and you just realize how spoiled you are with the swap after you hop back in someone else's truck that have OEM...

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode