Cummins Diesel Forum banner

First 60K Servicing Of The AS69RC In My 2018 RAM 4500 Cab & Chassis

16K views 76 replies 9 participants last post by  gsbrockman 
#1 · (Edited)
Serviced the ol’ AS69RC in the 4500 Cab & Chassis today.

Not sure if the crossmember has been changed or if it’s a 4500 thang, but I was able to get a direct shot at those 4 pesky transmission pan bolts closest to the crossmember without even using a universal or swivel. Not lowering the crossmember was a huge timesaver over the same servicing of my previous 2014 RAM 3500.

Truck is currently at 59,516 miles and 1,065 drive hours.

I bought a new pan gasket just in case (68214914AA) but I eventually ended up reusing my old one like I did on my 2014 RAM 3500.

The truck got an OEM sump filter (68224232AA) and 10.5 quarts of Mobil 3309.

As with all of my previous sump filter changes on the AS69RC, I received a P0868 code (Transmission Fluid Pressure Low). I cleared it with my cheapie code clearer and all is well.

White Lightning will be ready for another few thousand miles.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Wheel

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Tire Rim

Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument Electronics Pedometer

See less See more
#6 ·
Would it be somewhat safe to say that you’re probably NOT interested in hearing about the 3 or 4 grease fittings that are on my steering components on my 4500? :grin2:

#3 · (Edited)
:ROFLMAO: :cool:

Reactions: BrianF and Learjet
#4 ·
GS, does the 0868 code come up on initial start up? Wonder if it's from the fluid mostly drained and the 1st prime doesn't give the desired minimum line pressure to match itself in time on start up?
Your previous did the same?
Tnx

#5 · (Edited)
The P0868 indeed pops up fast, generally under 20 seconds or so. It did on the 2018 and also did it all six filter changes on the 2014 RAM 3500.

All I can interject is it has NEVER happened doing the basic drain & fills.

As you can see by looking at the drain pan, it is deeper near the front of the pan, where the sump filter pickup is.

The shallower portion of the pan is back near the drain plug. I’m guessing there’s about one quart remaining in the pan on drain & fills, and this is what’s keeping the filter/transmission “primed” and not throwing the P0868.

On a side note...one servicing I did on The Radio Flyer involved an overnight drain with the pan and sump filter removed.

In addition to the P0868, I also got a P0869....Transmission Fluid Pressure High.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/...aisin-as69rc-transmission-3.html#post17926746

Reactions: N of 60
#9 · (Edited)
Waiting patiently for my 120,000 transmission service.....

Just this week I decided I’d throw some love at White Lightning in the form of a PML AS69RC Deep Transmission Pan.

Aisin AS69RC, A466ND Deep

I ordered it Sunday night, and it arrived today. :blues:

I’m currently at 102,400 miles, but 120,000 miles will be here soon, which is the next prescribed sump filter replacement. I’ll swap pans at this time.

I already have a new transmission pan gasket....I’ll be ordering a new sump filter within a week or so.
Product Jacuzzi Jacuzzi Baby Products Bathtub
Product Boat Dinghy Skiff Vehicle

#12 ·
Reactions: Slats Extend
#14 ·
So is this pan installed already? Waiting for more pictures and a write up or something. I wonder if a pan like that would be good for that @JimmyN character. He could take the pan off and clean it out every oil change as he lets the transmission drain for a week or two.

#15 ·
@JimmyN character. He could take the pan off and clean it out every oil change as he lets the transmission drain for a week or two.
Uh, oh, sounds like I screwed up. I have let the trans drain for over a month already.
I better hurry up and install my new 8-gallon pan. After it is properly sterilized, of course.

Reactions: BrianF
#22 ·
115,607 miles at shut down tonight in Cartersville, GA.....so that means I’m approximately 4,393 miles +/- away from servicing.

Stop Bulllllllying me. :grin2:

#24 ·
You do realize that it's hard for Mr. Brockmania to hit his driveway right as the odo hits 120K, right?
Plus, I suspect that he's afraid to get schmutz on its shiny surface during the install.

Slathering on tire goop, on the other hand, can be done at any mileage. Yes, his hands get slimy, too, but he can wipe those off on the back of his pants...and the evidence is eliminated during the next visit to the detailer when they clean the seat.
Can't really ask the detailers to cleanse his tranny pan, can you?

#26 ·
You, too, can stop BULLLLLLLLLYING me just about any time now. :na:

Reactions: BrianF
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.