Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Bigger wider wheels and tires for your 5500 ram

49K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Wiredawg Chief 
#1 ·
So. I'm tired of my tires having funny wear patterns and them getting hot and blowing out. So I found this website :

http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/customers/srw-conversions-and-custom-wheels/

Have any of you done business with this guy?

I want to put 285/70R19.5 tires on my truck with the wheels that they sell that are 7.50" wide instead of the stock 6".

Any Ideas ? If any of you are already running. This tire size, I'd love to hear your results and if you have pictures that would be awesome.

#2 ·
I have the 285/70/19.5's on rickson wheels. Go down to my 5500 SRW build and you can see a bunch of pics.

#3 ·
Yep. I'm looking for someone who has done this, but has 6 wheels. I think if I went with 4 wheels my truck would have to much sway in the back

#4 ·
I just installed 265/70R19.5's on my truck. Bridgestone M729F's. The look good but they are pretty close to touching in the front. I will have to put my tembrens back on the front so they will be ok I think. Tires look awesome

Attachments

#21 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I find myself asking the same questions about mounting taller/wider tires on my 2017 Ram 4x4 5500. How did the 265s fair over time? Good wear? No rubbing between rears with stock rims?

Would like feedback from you and any others that have mounted larger 19.5s on their Ram C&Cs.

Thanks and Cheers, Ron

#5 ·
They look good! looks like you put them on your stock rims? I'm curious as to how they'll wear, keep us posted. What was your reasoning for going to such a large tire? Just wanting to fill in the wheel wells?

#6 ·
Stock rims. I'm overweight all the time abv I have blow outs and irregular wear with the 225's so I want to see how these do. I've got another truck with 6700 miles on some 245's that are wearing good so far

#7 ·
I want to put the same size. Do they look cupped on the rim?? How close are they in the back to touching??

#8 ·
I like the tread pattern on them. are they fairly quiet? The tires I've got on right now howl like crazy lol. I've got a buddy that runs 245's on stock size wheels and they wear a little heavy on center because of the cupping but he says it's not too bad. the main reason I still run 225's is price. 245's jump pretty drastic in price, I bet those 265's were a pretty penny!

#9 ·
I think it cups less than the 225's but I'm no expert. Here are some pictures. Also, I just had them mounted with no balancing and the last 100 miles have been awesome. Much smoother than my 225's that were about to blow

#10 ·
How close in the rear. Are they touching? Do u need a spacer?

#11 ·
No spacer no touch. If they touched they would have blown by now. Keep in mind my truck weighs 20,000-22,000 lbs 100% of the time. There is about 1 inch clearance except for at the bottom which is about 3/4"

#14 ·
I don't think it was much at all. If you go to the Bridgestone commercial tire website it will tell you all the differences. I think the tire RPM one the 225 is like 630 and the 265 is like 619 or something like that.

#16 · (Edited)
have 30k miles on Goodyear G622 245/70-19.5's, gross 24-25klbs every day and have very good wear on the steers and nice flat wear on the drives, get temps up to 140-150 pulling our cable reeler that puts the rear axle weight right at 22k and have had zero issues, the factory Continentals lasted 40K before a drive let go.

#17 ·
That's awesome you got that many miles out of
Your continentals. And those were the stock 225's?

#18 ·
yes, i was shocked too, we usually dont get that many miles, all our new service trucks now have cats eyes and central tire inflation that keeps the drives at 105psi all the time, that and the fact i spend most my time on the highway makes me think why they lasted so long... my last truck I got 25k before I started having problems with the continentals, switched to toyos and they where pretty good except they wandered like crazy. having the crane and a 200gal lube cube and all my tools,parts,rigging,and crap, makes tires wear funny.

#20 ·
I have no sway issues with the super single 285's whatsoever. They are rated for almost 7000 lbs a tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.