Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum - View Single Post - compression test 1997 12 v
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
jb86
Cummins Fan

replies are much appreciated. i have been looking at this truck for over a week. it looks real good in the pictures (clean paint), not a dent or any scratches that i can see, interior looks real clean also. definitely the appearance of a well maintained truck. asking $7995 w/305k. 1997, 4x4, auto, CC, 8' (north carolina, no rust). he says it runs/drives well. problems - fuel sender doesn't work (i'll fix that someday) and hard start, has to add a little throttle. i expect either a air leak in a line or out of adjustment idle screw. w/that many miles i really would feel best w/a compression test, costs $220 at the dodge dealer, i figure worth the money. also i'll have them check fuel pressure (and a full presale inspection). my biggest concern is that it will get me home 300 miles w/o having a fuel problem. he says it runs fine after it starts. i have a list of fuel system components to inspect and service, with a little time, i'll go thru it all.
as long as it runs/drives well, pass inspection, no immediate issues w/transmission or differentials or other big ticket items, my biggest concern is the bottom end of the engine. the top end is not quite as expensive.
i just wanted to ask around to see if i look nuts buying a truck w/300k. if the compression is good, the bottom end should be fine and have plenty of power left in it. that's determined by oil changes and how it was treated. i would hope that they weren't giving it too much pedal when starting it and running high above idle speed.
anything else should be concerned about? i was thinking of offering $7,000.

White '98, QC, LB, 4X4, Auto, 12V
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,166k, MBPR 4" turbo back, EMS Offroad part time hubs/real wheel bearings :thumbsup, DSS stabilizer, American Racing 16" outlaw II, BF Goodrich Long Trail t/a 245's, fairly stock, more coming. Came from NC, NO rust

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome