Sterring Box Brace Install Write-up 3rd gen: 2006-2008.5 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen Tech Articles Tech Articles for the 5.9L 3rd Gen Dodge Cummins Diesel...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Dan @ Carli

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Sterring Box Brace Install Write-up 3rd gen: 2006-2008.5

So, my steering gearbox went out and thanks to the write-up on here by "steve05ram360" I was able to swap mine out myself and save a boat-load. With the cash I saved, I picked up a Steering box brace from "Custom Diesel" on eBay for $127.00 shipped to my door (should help extend the life of my new gearbox and take some wander out of the steering.)

The Brace showed up nicely packaged and the work and welds all look top-notch! Can't see why anyone would spend 250 on the BD?

So, First thing's first: You must remove the nut and lock-washer off the sector shaft.

Here is the parts kit that came with the brace, everything you need and then some:

Next, I coated the sector shaft with anti-seize before installing the new nut and lock-washer supplied with the kit onto the sector shaft. This should be torqued to 185 ft. lbs.

Once that's installed, remove the 2 bold on each side (4 total) that attach the sway bar to the frame.

Then, slid the brace in place so the bearing hole lines up with the sector shaft nut and the 4 mounting holes align with the mounting tabs on the frame rails.

Once properly positioned, temp the four sway-bar mounting bolts in place by hand to ensure you don't cross-thread and maintain adjustability. DO NOT TIGHTEN COMPLETELY!

Next, the instructions tell you to use a hammer to get the bearing onto the shaft, but i found with some anti-seize, it slides right on.

Secure with supplied hardware. Once the bolts are tightened to 60 ft.lbs., use an allen's wrench to the the clamp on the bearing's internal race to the sector shaft nut. I would also take this opportunity to ensure the zerk fitting is tight (mine was loose) and grease the bearing.

Once all is tight, fully tighten the sway bar mounting bolts.

You're done! Make sure to take it for a test drive and re-torque everything in a week:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Carli Suspension 3" Long Arm Dominator - Torsion Sway Bar - Full Leaf Springs - Ball Joints - Axle Truss | TaterBuilt 62/65 341 | Smarty S06 | Randy's Transmissions Stage 2 | Isspro Performax EGT-Trans-Fuel-Boost | FASS 165 | S&B Intake & Horn | AMP | Redneck Rams Hydro Assist | Ballistic Fab Diff Covers
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OCVeloMan For This Useful Post:
-coaltrain- (05-22-2013), bamboo (11-12-2010), fatman45 (12-08-2015), gianotti (07-19-2011), loborph (08-05-2013), miak2000 (11-17-2010), nibroc (06-05-2011), scotchwhiskey (05-15-2011), thehulk99 (10-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Diesel Head

Nice......looks like the Carli Sway bar would work on this setup too, no?

06 Silver QC 4x4 Auto
-Thuren leafs/Sway Bar/Kings/Carli bags, PSC Support, 37" Toyos, Hoss 17x9
-Smarty, Airdog100/Liberty Setup, ISSPRO Gauges,
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Dan @ Carli

with the right end-links... I'm running a 6' lift, not 3"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Carli Suspension 3" Long Arm Dominator - Torsion Sway Bar - Full Leaf Springs - Ball Joints - Axle Truss | TaterBuilt 62/65 341 | Smarty S06 | Randy's Transmissions Stage 2 | Isspro Performax EGT-Trans-Fuel-Boost | FASS 165 | S&B Intake & Horn | AMP | Redneck Rams Hydro Assist | Ballistic Fab Diff Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode