Cummins Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To Hids

23K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BBRam 
#1 · (Edited)
How To HIDs

ill take piks later bc im not near my truck.....
also all input is welcomed.. if i left out something that someone catches PLZ LET ME KNOW

Alot of yall are having trouble with HIDs on the Dodge Ram.

As of now this will only be for the HID kit with low hid and hi halogen. i have to do alil more research for the Bi xenon kits.

Parts List

1 - set of hids(brand dont matter) bi xeon (hi and low are hid) xexon (hid low halogen hi)
1 - 30 amp automotive relay(Bosch-type)
2 - 8 ohm 20 watt resistors (4 - resistor for Bi xeon)
10-20ft of red wire 12g
10-20ft of black wire 12g
3 - tap ins
5 - ring terminals
1 - 12g buttsplice
1 - 30 amp fuse and holder

optional parts(i recommend)
9007 wire kit - it makes it easier to hook up to stock headlight plug

Tools

wire stripper
wire crimper
tape or heat shrink

Ok first thing you should do is pull out both head lights and lay them on the ground. then if u get the relay that has a hole in it mount it in the head light hole where it wont be in the way when u put the light back in, then wire up the relay,

30 - to battery pos with fuse(30 amp)
85 - coil pos(+) to low beam on stock headlight
86 - coil neg (-) ground
87 - to HIDs POS wire(both ballast boxes)

1. the wire that goes to the battery needs to have a 30 amp fuse on it, right at the battery.
2. next will be the ground for the relay and all the other grounds for the ballast boxes. i put ring terminals on them and using a self tapping screw i tapped it to the frame.
3. next run the wire from 87 on the relay to the red wires coming out of the ballast(butsplice the two together use heat shrink. we are using one side to trigger both lights. i used the drivers side
4. next run the wire from 85 on the relay to the low beam wire on the stock plug (A - is the low beam wire its white with a tan or dark blue stripe)
you can use the tap in to hook up to the wire behind the plugs.( this is where that 9007 wire kit come in handy)
5. next will be the low beam hid bulb should have a wire coming off the the bulb itself(usually yellow) that wire needs to go directly to the HI beam wire on the stock plug this is a halogen bulb it requires no resistor(C - is the high beam wire its white with a gray or light green stripe)
6. final is the resistors... you need to hook up one side of the resistor to the ground of the headligh plug and the other side to the low beam wire(it is also the wire that triggers the relay) the resistor will get hot. put them in a safe location(be sure to hook up the resistor on both sides even tho you are only using one side to trigger the hids the other side still needs the resistor

this is how i Mounted my resitors and ballast box...
driver side

passenger side

here is a shot of my kit at night

few diagrams that might help.......

See less See more
#2 ·
somebody finally does a writeup! I did mine back in march, I used 50 Watt 5 ohm resistors, 1 on each side, and also used a relay to run them straight off the battery, while still using the factory switch to turn them on. Had them since March, and 1 HID Bulb has burned out, but they were freebies that were used from a buddy, getting some new bulbs, should have them in tonight! I had 6k Bulbs and the new ones that were given to me are 10k... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.