Loud knock at all RPM. please help - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
sorry Shainer, i thought you meant if it changed the tone, but yes, rpm related

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:30 AM

It's been said a couple times already but it sounds very much like a valve trane to me. You said you had the rocker arms off? It could be a possibility that the valve lash was adjusted very loose however I think at this point things have progressed beyond that... Pulling the valve cover and doing a thorough visual inspection would be where I would start.

Inspect to make sure there is not any rockers that are obviously loose or damaged. I would also look at the jam nuts and make sure none have backed off. If that happened the adjuster will back its self off and the rocker will hammer the little foot on the end of it to death.

If you do not see anything obvious try barring the engine over and both feel for any abnormal resistance or abnormal noises like popping.

While barring war h your valve trane to make sure all valves open and close smoothly and none of them hang up or stick.

Also one thing to try is remove the rockers and using a brass hammer tap the valve stems... You don't need to hit them hard just tap them. A normal one will feel somewhat springy when you tap it and have a ping sound.... If you get one thy is bent it will be pretty obvious.

That will hopefully give a place to start... I had a C15 generator set that at a out 235hours had the exhaust valves on cylinder 4 meet and bend The valves. The sound with the engine running was very similar to yours. The cause was the jam nut had not been torqued properly from the factory and it backed off, the adjuster backed off, broke the foot on the rocker and bent the exhaust valves.

2006 Mega|Edge CTS|Fass150/Beans Sump|EFI/CSP5 Anarchy|2nd Gen Swap 63/68/.91BW By Anarchy|5" Exh|305/65R17 MickyT ATZ P3
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

sorry if it wasnt clear, the noise didnt happen after i pulled the rockers. i pulled the rockers at the time i was swapping the injectors, at that time i also checked all of the valve clearance which was in spec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Diesel Freak

have you checked the oil for sparkles?

2006 long box 4x4 big horn
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

hahahaha... yes. no sparkles
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rally200sx View Post
sorry if it wasnt clear, the noise didnt happen after i pulled the rockers. i pulled the rockers at the time i was swapping the injectors, at that time i also checked all of the valve clearance which was in spec
While it may have been fine right after the injector change it does not rule out one or more of the jam nuts from backing off. Start with the simple stuff then go from there.

Custom pinstriped Power Wheel. I started out with very little... I still have most of it. Feel free to PM me anytime.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainer View Post
While it may have been fine right after the injector change it does not rule out one or more of the jam nuts from backing off. Start with the simple stuff then go from there.
I strongly agree . If you have not yet removed the valve cover and looked I would do so. It really sounds like a valve trane problem.

2006 Mega|Edge CTS|Fass150/Beans Sump|EFI/CSP5 Anarchy|2nd Gen Swap 63/68/.91BW By Anarchy|5" Exh|305/65R17 MickyT ATZ P3
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,415 Posts
We all waiting with baited breath on a new adventure. Sounds like something amiss with valve train. I have not read all the posts, but has someone suggested a exhaust manifold leak especially #6 port?
When inspecting valves, look at the pad that contacts valve for missing parts.
We're waiting for results!!!

2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

ok. pulled the valve cover off, last night check all valve clearance again, then remove all of the rockers to check the valves and springs, everything seems ok. tapped all valves with a brass hammer. all made a uniforms noise. Nothing looks broken or missing. also ran the engine with the valve cover off to see if i could see anything while running, but everything looked to be operating properly.
Id also like to clarify that it was not ok after the injector change. the noise has been there prior to that
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Diesel Head

crummy work computers wont let me watch the video...

Is the knock louder upon acceleration vs deceleration?

A knock that sounds similar to a valvetrain, yet isnt, is typically a rod bearing. Worn mains tend to give off a much deeper "harder" knock

For what its worth, at this point i would pull the pan and check the rod bearings if the top end is ruled out. the damage has already been done, but i wouldnt keep driving/running it!

2015 3500 laramie dually. 6.7, aisin, 4.10s, bone stock... (for now )
2014 forest river XLR 395amp, 42.5ft of truck killing, wind catching, toy and booze hauling, fun...
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,515 Times in 1,055 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Did you check for a dropping valve seat?

Very common with the 03.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

2012 Ram 2500 5.7L HEMI
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.4L HEMI
2015 Hellcat, and ya, it's got a HEMI
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM
World Champs!!!

Thanked 7,880 Times in 4,938 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
That's almost 100% valvetrain related.

I can't remember what mine was when it sounded like that after my rebuild, but it was valve train related. I think I had #5 set out of whack, I want to say I set the lash on that one opposite of what I should have. Anyway, I fought it for well over a week, just couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I had one of those "oh shoot" moments and got 'er. Sticky/galled rockers played a part in mine as well, check that they turn easy

'07 3500 SRW QC/LB-6.7 swap-EFILive-Goerend-WOP triple turbo-60% Exergy-Carli Backcountry Project Blue Balls
'03 2500 QC/LB. HO/NV-6.7 Swap-HE351v-Southbend-TNT/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
Why would you buy a Hellcat for road trips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorSmokPls View Post
Because you can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode