injector rattle? get them tested? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
injector rattle? get them tested?

so i have a predator...notorious for "rattling". When the rig has economy or extreme or rkl...shoot and even tow....it rattles but only when im idling ...obviously. when i give it just the slightest throttle it goes away and when i let off its back to ratling. NOW, was towing the boat so i put it back to stock due to high egts, and now even in the stock mode its doing the same, LOUD! Within the next month or so im going to be putting a turbo lift pump, with a 2 micron filtering, arson III. I want to know if it "to late". When i had stacks it was more noticeable with the rough idle to...whats the deal? what do i do? thank you

05 standard cab. ATS RAPTOR AUTOMETER BD SPECIAL TNT QUADZILLA ARP MBRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
qda
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
rattle

I would like to know myself. I just noticed it on mine too. Only at idle with my gt on any setting. Injectors were just pulled to inspect and clean.

07 QC dually 6 spd 2wd south bend clutch and hydros,twins, Magnaflow straight piped. SOLD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
is tht where when you let off it sounds like a weird knock or what? what is rattle?

2006 Cummins:
S366 with 2nd gen swap,BMS 50 horse injectors,
4" MBRP exhaust, EFI LIVE by Anarchy Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

mine sounds like it is coming from the right side of the motor, if im only goin like 10mph or slower, and i get off the throttle, i hear the "rattle". or at idle, any foot on the skinny and it goes away, noticed today it comes and goes......?im not goin to worry about it to much, going to be putting arson III on soon and will c if that changes anything....

05 standard cab. ATS RAPTOR AUTOMETER BD SPECIAL TNT QUADZILLA ARP MBRP
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
give us updates if that fixed it
thanks

2006 Cummins:
S366 with 2nd gen swap,BMS 50 horse injectors,
4" MBRP exhaust, EFI LIVE by Anarchy Diesel
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Diesel Head

My stock truck does this as well. There was a thread called tick tick, knock knock, clak clak (or something close to this) that had a lot of us with this "injector rattle." My truck doesn't rattle if I use diesel kleen, and it goes away with a little throttle. Once warmed up it goes away also. I get a lot of rattle when coasting at low speeds. However when towing, the coasting rattle disappeared.

'03 2500 QCLB 4x4 47RE One Piece Driveshaft
TruckPC Custom Ignition System Wiring
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM
W4UO

Mine has been loud since day one and runs like a champ. I dont worry about it. Some of the bosch injectors were just loud especially with this high pressure common rail system. I wouldnt worry really. My only option is to change them out, be nice to get it quieter but you know not worth the ton of money lol

2014 "STOCK" 3500 SRW AISIN AUTO - 59,000 !

SOLD- 2006 2500 Quad 4x4 SLT , 113,000 miles, EFI LIVE (FLASH SCAN V2) , Glowshift 3 -N- 1,G56, 35-12.50-17, Baldwin PF7977 & BD7317, Prem Blue oil, FUBAR CUSTOM INTAKE, silencer ring mia, grid delete, 2ND Gen intake horn, 2ND Gen exhaust manifold , 4in straight pipe, SBC 3600 DD, HBS 2" leveling kit, LazarSmith offset bushings w\Ultimate hardware, Bilstein 5100's, II 90's.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM

i am also having this trouble now i am really worried about it should i be? i hear it in the front of the motor and can kinda feel it in the fuel line going to the first injector. i have always had it since i got the truck in 07 with 40,000 on it and now i have 92,000. it runs fine gets good millage and oil level never changes. Should i worry? i just ordered some stanadyne which has calmed it down in the past but its never been this loud. i also ordered opti-lube SPD fuel treatment. hope that works. i putting the cat back on and taking it to the dealer in the next couple of weeks to be sure. i got 6 months and 8000 left on my warrenty
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Diesel Head

Diesel kleen calmed it down for me, along with towing and hot weather. If you know it is injector rattle, don't worry about it. Always monitor the oil level though, injectors are prone to leaking fuel into the crankcase and its a good maintenance check, saves lots of time, money, stress and anything else that goes with hefty problems.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 AM

yeah but how does one know for sure its the injectors. i pretty sure like i said i have had it quit down after some treatment. i have not ran any in a while and this is the loudest its been ever. i also just switched to the new valvoline blue oil if that may make a diffrence. im wait for the treatments and changing the fuel filter and oil again and going back to rotella with lucus added.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Diesel Head

if fuel additives quiet it down, then it has to do with the fuel. its either the combustion stroke or the fuel injectors. some say the cp3 may be off time from the engine as well.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM

sorry if i sound dumb but what do you mean by combustion stroke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode