Trip report, long tow trip with enclosed trailer - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Trip report, long tow trip with enclosed trailer

Took a long trip from SoCal to Southern Michigan towing a 24í enclosed Haulmark trailer, 4500 miles total.
Empty going and full coming back with my momís stuff and car.
4k empty, Smarty Jr set to SW2 tq4/tm2 on trip with empty trailer.
8k loaded. Smarty Jr set to SW3 tq4/tm2 on return trip loaded.
Overall average 11.8 and I kept the speed at 65-70 the entire trip including mountain grades.
I averaged 13+ in CA and 11-12 in the rest of the states. My daily driving mileage before the 30% injís was 16.2 so down to 13+ towing in CA isnít bad. Rest of the states it was worse but I think it was the green winter or bio fuel, my fuel in SoCal is yellow/gold and doesnít change in the winter so Iím guessing that Is what it was, or a bio blend but the pumps didnít say anything about bio.
I didnít drive easy, keep my foot in it on the grades and only shifted out of OD when the EGTís got above 1200 and then they dropped with the RPM increase. It was fine pulling the steepest of grades going over the Rockies (11,600 ft). It pulled 30# boost easy and could have pulled more if I wanted it to so the stories I heard about diesels not doing good going up to altitude didnít hold true for my trip. It ran fine and more than enough boost/power at 10k+ altitude.
For comparison, I made the exact same trip (trailer, weight, route) two years ago with my F250 V10 3-valve 2WD with highway radial tires. Difference is that the truck itself weighed 2000 pounds less than my Mega 4x4. The Ford averaged 8-mpg and struggled up the Rockies with the thin air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I can feel a noticeable difference in my truck when I go from 5280 up to 8-10k. It shows in my EGT too.

That's not to discount your experience. I'd expect that variance of results between those trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode