hard start issue (videos included) - Page 6 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangsndawind View Post
why would plugging it in have anything to do with it starting up just dont get it
Yep, said the exact same thing to my mechanic. It does not make much sense, but this is what happens.

I started having the hard start issues(at 117,000 miles) as it began to cool down here last fall. Truck was harder to start as the temps dropped, I started plugging it in and that helped for a while. Then found out the grid heater was not working, fixed that(switch on the firewall) and no help. When it got really cold plugging in the truck no longer helped. Finally did the injectors and she runs like a champ again. As I said this is a huge problem with the 03 and after you get over 100K miles your on borrowed time. My brother in law is an exec. at Chrysler and did a bit of digging for me and it is a known problem with Bosh and Chrysler. They are both basicly pointing their fingers at each other and you get the bill.
I did all 6 at once. The teardown is the same weather you do one or all of them so I bit the bullet. Did the fuel tubes at the same time. If you do a search here you will find pages upon pages of guys with the same issue. 99% lead back to the injectors. There is also a sticky write up on how to change them if your so inclined. Basicly it seems that someone(at Chrysler) changed the fuel filtration spec. and that is what eats the injectors up.
There is a guy here that did a great write up on changing to a 3 micron filtration system and it really does not cost huge bucks. Change the injectors out and redo the fuel filter system and you will be good for a long time. Sorry I cant give you a quick and cheap fix, but I hoped for the same thing and it just did not come out that way.

Just a guy married to a woman with a horse.
2003 QC/LB 4x4 HO 4spd. Auto, no upgrades
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundog 64 For This Useful Post:
8secondride (10-28-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundog 64 View Post
Basicly it seems that someone(at Chrysler) changed the fuel filtration spec. and that is what eats the injectors up.
There is a guy here that did a great write up on changing to a 3 micron filtration system and it really does not cost huge bucks. Change the injectors out and redo the fuel filter system and you will be good for a long time. Sorry I cant give you a quick and cheap fix, but I hoped for the same thing and it just did not come out that way.

i didnt kno the filtration spec got "changed" but i do kno the stock filtration sucks!!!! i agree that many of the injector issues are due to poor filtration. for now my fuel lines from the airdog filter run into my stock canister with a baldwin filter in ther. but im sure a good bit of damage has already been doen from running the stock filtartion setup for the first 40K miles of my trucks life b4 i knew about the problems. take this chysler

Mods=enough that I cant afford anymore for a while
post #63 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Yep, said the exact same thing to my mechanic. It does not make much sense, but this is what happens.

I started having the hard start issues(at 117,000 miles) as it began to cool down here last fall. Truck was harder to start as the temps dropped, I started plugging it in and that helped for a while. Then found out the grid heater was not working, fixed that(switch on the firewall) and no help. When it got really cold plugging in the truck no longer helped. Finally did the injectors and she runs like a champ again. As I said this is a huge problem with the 03 and after you get over 100K miles your on borrowed time. My brother in law is an exec. at Chrysler and did a bit of digging for me and it is a known problem with Bosh and Chrysler. They are both basicly pointing their fingers at each other and you get the bill.
I did all 6 at once. The teardown is the same weather you do one or all of them so I bit the bullet. Did the fuel tubes at the same time. If you do a search here you will find pages upon pages of guys with the same issue. 99% lead back to the injectors. There is also a sticky write up on how to change them if your so inclined. Basicly it seems that someone(at Chrysler) changed the fuel filtration spec. and that is what eats the injectors up.
that sux but get this this mrn 34degrees and started up usually when drops to 40 wont start this sux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness765 View Post
i didnt kno the filtration spec got "changed" but i do kno the stock filtration sucks!!!! i agree that many of the injector issues are due to poor filtration. for now my fuel lines from the airdog filter run into my stock canister with a baldwin filter in ther. but im sure a good bit of damage has already been doen from running the stock filtartion setup for the first 40K miles of my trucks life b4 i knew about the problems. take this chysler
Guinness,
This is what my Brother in law was told by a few of the enginers he works with. The story goes that Bosch specs a 3 micron rating but the Dodge filter could only do 5. That is why they(Bosch & Chrysler) are pointing their fingers at each other. Sucks that we as owners get stuck in the middle. To us it is a big repair bill but to either Bosch or Dodge it is a huge problem. Not that I am trying to make excuses for either company.

The reason the problems start showing up is that when the outside temp drops the fuel viscosity goes up. When the fuel system is already on the edge every little change makes it that much harder for the system to build the correct amount of pressure to get the truck going. I watched as my mechanic did a rail pressure test and it was eyeopening the diffrence between the before and after. Do a search and you will see a ton of these exact same questions and it always gets cured when the owner finally gets the injectors changed. Same symptons same solution.

John

Last edited by Gundog 64; 10-27-2010 at 03:15 PM.
post #65 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:45 PM

mine started last winter, plug in untill your temp reading is not pegged left, starts right up, runs fine no white smoke, idle RP is around 5600. Truck started fine all summer then first little cold snap in the 50's and her we go again. Checked my relief valve and its good (check that first). I am prettysure my air dog is supplying enough fuel, and WOT I build about 26000, so Im sure its not a weal cp3. Has to be a bypassing injector, I would take it to a diesle shop and have them test for return flow, and let them tell you what injector/s are leaking. Ive done tons of research on this and that tends to be the 9 out 10 solution to these symtoms. (just a rookie giving my two sense) Im following this one.

03 4dr,4X4, 190k, air dog, auto trans (toasted), quadzilla rp gauge......
post #66 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Guinness,
This is what my Brother in law was told by a few of the enginers he works with. The story goes that Bosch specs a 3 micron rating but the Dodge filter could only do 5. That is why they(Bosch & Chrysler) are pointing their fingers at each other. Sucks that we as owners get stuck in the middle. To us it is a big repair bill but to either Bosch or Dodge it is a huge problem. Not that I am trying to make excuses for either company.
interesting and i think what dodge requires for teh filter is actually 7um or 10 um (absolute) i think. so its actually even worse filtration

Quote:
The reason the problems start showing up is that when the outside temp drops the fuel viscosity goes up. When the fuel system is already on the edge every little change makes it that much harder for the system to build the correct amount of pressure to get the truck going. I watched as my mechanic did a rail pressure test and it was eyeopening the diffrence between the before and after. Do a search and you will see a ton of these exact same questions and it always gets cured when the owner finally gets the injectors changed. Same symptons same solution.

John
kinda figured my issue would end with getting new injectors and since i want aftermarket anyway its not a very tough choice to suck it up and buy them. im just hopeing it smy pressure relief valve so i can save a little more for the injectors i want since my savings will be low when i start purchasing all my tranny parts soon

Mods=enough that I cant afford anymore for a while
post #67 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Cummins Fan

where is this psi relief valve and how can i get 1
post #68 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Cummins Fan

also wher can i get injectors a a good price if thats what i gotta do
post #69 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
also wher can i get injectors a a good price if thats what i gotta do
Not really such a thing as a good price on 03 injectors. I dont know where my mechanic got the from. Seem to remember they were around $350.00 ea.

post #70 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Not really such a thing as a good price on 03 injectors. I dont know where my mechanic got the from. Seem to remember they were around $350.00 ea.
is that after he core charge and how abt that psi relief valve
post #71 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

No start

I didn't see the light for the intake heater. Is that working? Mine will start without waiting but wonder if no light has something to do with it.

06 QC 2500, auto, 4:10, Mineral grey, intake baffle delete, muffler delete, 2in level kit/with Bilstein 5100, Diamond Back bed cover and diamond plate side steps, more to come $$$$.
post #72 of 332 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
is that after he core charge and how abt that psi relief valve
Yes, after core.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode