Simultaneous codes p2059, p2149 & p1755? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Simultaneous codes p2059, p2149 & p1755?

I got these codes off my truck yesterday The check engine light came on while I was driving to work. I babied it back home, it's a short drive.
During the cold snap we just had in Vancouver BC, I lost a lot of cranking power from my batteries. I had to boost it twice over the course of a week. It sat for a few days before driving it today. Then I did buy and install a Noco Genm2 onboard battery tender and charged the batteries back up to operating voltage It started a little difficult and made that sputtering cold-start sound that I've never experienced before. It wasn't even cold out, it was +5 deg C. I didn't feel anything wrong with it going to work but when I came home, I noticed it was revving to 2500 before shifting out of 1st gear. Anything above that seemed normal. So I got the p2059 , p2149 and p1755. I looked them up and I'm not happy. I just replaced my tranny. I read a bunch of forum posts relating to these codes and think I know how to address them, but I am unsure and don't want to go jumping to conclusions.
Is it just coincidence that the ECM/pcm intermittent power code, 2nd bank injector short code and the intermediate speed sensor code appeared at the same time?
Does it have anything to do with the batteries dying in the cold? Maybe the only outside influence I can pin it on is that a bit of rain water got on the two wiring harness connections on the firewall while I was boosting it, but I unplugged Avery connection around there and they're all dry.
Right now as I type this I have disconnected the battery cables in an attempt to reset the ECM.
Any other guidance is majorly appreciated.

'05 3500 QCSB. 5" MBRP exh. AFE pro5r intake. Banks High ram. BD Intercooler. Unknown smoky tune. 6" lift. Unknown 4 link long arms. 35" Firestone Dest MT 2 on 17'" Vision Warriors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

I'll add that when it was cold and not starting, when I turned the ignition to on and preheat the grid heater, the speedo and tach needles would move up to about the 10:00 position and then fall. It doesn't seem to do this when it's starting properly.

'05 3500 QCSB. 5" MBRP exh. AFE pro5r intake. Banks High ram. BD Intercooler. Unknown smoky tune. 6" lift. Unknown 4 link long arms. 35" Firestone Dest MT 2 on 17'" Vision Warriors.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:25 AM
Diesel Head

If you had to boost the batteries twice :

Test batteries individually , with a real battery tester ( not just voltage )

and or

the alternator isnt charging , or the cables / terminations are not letting it charge. Resistance test the cross over battery cable even though it looks serviceable.

Then AFTER you have good power , go from there .

IE: theres no use in diving into complex troubleshooting , if the power source isnt 100% .

good luck , 24hrsparkey

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Diesel Head

40d F, these when they're running well fire off in less than 2 revs.

Dog Feces Krap tunes that are off on timing or too much fueling on cold crank start will be hard starting.

Don't bother with new batteries until you examine the crossover + batt. cable and the others for any blue/green or white powder corrosion under the insulation. Wire brush and acetone brake cleaner clean all battery posts and cable clamps. Battery boilovers are common in these on the passenger side due to corroded rusted out crossover cable or connections resulting in all the charge 130a+ going into the passenger side batt, overheats boils over
Good way to find cable connectors problems is voltage drop test while cranking

Check your lift pump pressure cranking at the input to the CP3, must be 5 psi+ or plugged filters, plugged tank pickup, damaged fuel line

Worn out injectors result in poor cold wx starts and rough cold idle.
What's the cold crank RP? Cold idle RP? Hot 2000 rpms cruise RP?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I will check out all those areas when I get a bit of time and some light.
Re. my cable-removal reset- I reattached cables and reset the FCL last night, test drove it, and the codes stayed away. I parked it but did not plug in my new battery tender to see how it would act. This morning, when I started it, it was a no-fireup on first try. Second time it got up and running. This time it did run rough for about 5 seconds, and threw a 2149. (2nd bank injector circuit fault). I couldn't clear it immediately, but it ran smooth, no other codes came up. I got rid of the 2149 and everything seems ok for now. I will check out all the cables and fuel supply. Good excuse for a new lift pump!
I also found the date plaque on the batteries. I must be confused about something. The date is stamped out says June 5. There no way these batteries have been in this truck for 14 years right? I've only had it for 2. This is the 3rd winter and never had this issue previously.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:01 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
It depends on the battery. My OEM batteries lasted right at 13 years. Others have posted near the same long life from OEM.
Most brands 4-6 years and time to replace.
rghavana likes this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:05 PM
Diesel Head

Possibly date punch out indicates June 2015 ?

Either way you shouldnt need to put a tender / charger on them . Time for new me thinks . Be firm but gentle on the cable terms while changing batteries. Do not crank them down too much thinking your doing a good job . Snug is sufficient as to not further distort the lead ends . .

good luck sir

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

So i pulled the 3rd injector harness a couple days ago. Found it was oily. Have part enroute to my house right now. Any un-obvious tricks or advice for when I swap it?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Failed injector connection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200123_094406040_1579911555481.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	865823  

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 11:37 PM
Diesel Head

Don't waste your money on one of those boy toy $500 fuel pumps.
Just parts throwing at non existence in the mind problem.
The factory in tank pumps on these will outlast your interest in owning and driving the rig.

Spend your money on the other 2 injector harness cables to the VC. Most likely damaged by one of those junke black box engine killing boxes that jumper into the injector harnesses.

Put a real drainable commercial HD Class 8 construction equipment water separator and a real 3 micron large dirt filter on it, far more ROI and engine life

Take it to a dealer and have programmed back to stock EMM factory tune before you toast a cylinder and throw a rod with that over fueling tune

These 3rd Gens have the most problem prone battery cables and passenger side batt. charging problems>boil over, fried battery of any of the American made diesel pickups. The EMM low voltage code will come back to bite you at the worst times. Battery load tests and complete cable corrosion voltage drop tests/cable replacement will save you walking.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:41 AM
Cummins Nut

Motor oil in those connectors doesn't hurt anything from my experience. Been there, had that, truck still ran perfect.

On a different note, a bad cell in a battery (or bad batteries in general) can cause electronics to act wonky. Should see it on more modern cars, my 2016 Ford, the OE batteries are known for getting bad cells and the cars will almost act haunted. Soon as they act that way, time for a new battery.

in the case of these trucks, definitely true the stock cables blow. I replaced all of mine myself, crimped ends, marine sealed, whole 9 yards. Well worth the money to not have to worry about that problem anytime remotely soon.

05 CCLB 48RE
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Been checking for cable kits. Pretty pricey but probably good stuff
Maybe I could build my own. I had been planning to get the pcm reflashed back to factory, this while scenario threw me for a loop. Been trying to recondition my crappy batteries but it's not working. Going for new ones tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode