Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Port Perry, ON. Canada
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need help with Antifreeze in Oil problem
Oil analysis a year ago showed Na (sodium) in the oil sample after 10,000 km (6250 miles) at 147 ppm. Fast forward one year after head machined, valve job, checked for cracks, OEM head gasket and ARP head studs installed, the recent oil analysis showed essentially the same Na level at 153 ppm. There was no water detected in the analysis. This level of contamination does not show up as "milkshake" coloured oil. Also there is also no oil in the antifreeze (at least that I can see). The truck traveled the same distance as before and the oil was changed about 500 miles after the head work then drove another 6000 miles on fresh oil and filter and retested.
I feel comfortable ruling out the head gasket as the problem, since the odds of the contamination staying the same after all the head work seems remote, so this is where I need your help to find a solution.
1. Oil cooler - can these leak coolant to the oil and not vice versa? Antifreeze is thinner than oil so can it force it's way through when it's hot. When you shut the engine off, the oil pressure drops to zero but the coolant maintains pressure for a while. There was 2 ppm copper in the sample which can come from the cooler.
2. Transmission cooler/heat exchanger - I deleted this when I went to Fleece Coolant By-Pass
3. I have a Garrett water cooled turbo and from looking at the engineering drawings can't see any path for the oil and water to mix.
4. A freeze plug in the head is a possible source but hoping machine shop would have noticed a problem when they checked everything.
5. An internal crack is always possible but seems rare from my research.
Any thoughts or similar experiences are appreciated.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
BullyDog Triple Dog, MBRP Duals, FASS, Fluidampr, AFe Intercooler, Wilson Manifold, Garrett Stage 2 Turbo, Firestone Ride Rite, PacBrake, Transfer Flow, Surlastic Springs, ATS Pulse Flow Exhaust Manifold, Snow Stage 3 Water/Methanol Injection, Quadzilla Boost Fooler, Flex-a-Lite electric fans,