Need help with Antifreeze in Oil problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need help with Antifreeze in Oil problem

Oil analysis a year ago showed Na (sodium) in the oil sample after 10,000 km (6250 miles) at 147 ppm. Fast forward one year after head machined, valve job, checked for cracks, OEM head gasket and ARP head studs installed, the recent oil analysis showed essentially the same Na level at 153 ppm. There was no water detected in the analysis. This level of contamination does not show up as "milkshake" coloured oil. Also there is also no oil in the antifreeze (at least that I can see). The truck traveled the same distance as before and the oil was changed about 500 miles after the head work then drove another 6000 miles on fresh oil and filter and retested.

I feel comfortable ruling out the head gasket as the problem, since the odds of the contamination staying the same after all the head work seems remote, so this is where I need your help to find a solution.

Some thoughts:
1. Oil cooler - can these leak coolant to the oil and not vice versa? Antifreeze is thinner than oil so can it force it's way through when it's hot. When you shut the engine off, the oil pressure drops to zero but the coolant maintains pressure for a while. There was 2 ppm copper in the sample which can come from the cooler.
2. Transmission cooler/heat exchanger - I deleted this when I went to Fleece Coolant By-Pass
3. I have a Garrett water cooled turbo and from looking at the engineering drawings can't see any path for the oil and water to mix.
4. A freeze plug in the head is a possible source but hoping machine shop would have noticed a problem when they checked everything.
5. An internal crack is always possible but seems rare from my research.

Any thoughts or similar experiences are appreciated.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
BullyDog Triple Dog, MBRP Duals, FASS, Fluidampr, AFe Intercooler, Wilson Manifold, Garrett Stage 2 Turbo, Firestone Ride Rite, PacBrake, Transfer Flow, Surlastic Springs, ATS Pulse Flow Exhaust Manifold, Snow Stage 3 Water/Methanol Injection, Quadzilla Boost Fooler, Flex-a-Lite electric fans,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 12:37 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Did you have the head tested for cracks?

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:50 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

I would pressurize the system with air and see if it shows itself. Seen it a few times where the freeze plugs will straight squirt coolant out when you put air to it. Wont hurt anything and just do 10 psi or so nothing crazy.

06 Megacab, leveling kit, 35s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Yes...it was supposed to checked for cracks but I wasn't there to observe...it's a reputable shop that works on Cummins. They did comment that overall the head looked in really good shape.
4everlearning likes this.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
BullyDog Triple Dog, MBRP Duals, FASS, Fluidampr, AFe Intercooler, Wilson Manifold, Garrett Stage 2 Turbo, Firestone Ride Rite, PacBrake, Transfer Flow, Surlastic Springs, ATS Pulse Flow Exhaust Manifold, Snow Stage 3 Water/Methanol Injection, Quadzilla Boost Fooler, Flex-a-Lite electric fans,
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhill0212 View Post
I would pressurize the system with air and see if it shows itself. Seen it a few times where the freeze plugs will straight squirt coolant out when you put air to it. Wont hurt anything and just do 10 psi or so nothing crazy.
I will do a pressure test on the cooling system as you suggest just to see if anything shows up. Can freeze plugs be replaced with screw in plugs with the head still attached if there is an issue?

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:07 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

[QUOTE=CumminsTNT;29189733]
Quote:
I will do a pressure test on the cooling system as you suggest just to see if anything shows up. Can freeze plugs be replaced with screw in plugs with the head still attached if there is an issue?[/QUOTE

Yeah you can do them head on, just run grease on the tap to catch the junk. And a shopvac never hurts.

Also there is a chance the oil cooler could have failed. Just not a great chance. Your obviously not making a milkshake so it's hard to say what's truly wrong. It's obviously super small.

Might sound dumb or crazy but wonder if there is some sort of UV dye you could use ?
CumminsTNT likes this.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:46 AM
Diesel Head

There sure is. This was just a quick search.

CumminsTNT likes this.

2007 5.9 MC ITíS GOT FUEL AND AIR AND A BUNCH OF OTHER CRAP DONE TO IT
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-07 View Post

I didnt look last night Haha but I guess that answers my question !

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
I didnt look last night Haha but I guess that answers my question !
That does sound like a good idea. It is obviously a small leak but want to catch it before it becomes worse. Problems like this drive me crazy as I take pride in having no leaks and an engine in good running order.

The dye would certainly help with finding expansion plug leaks...not so much with an oil cooler leak. If the pressure test and coolant dye don't show anything then I think I'll replace the oil cooler...there's not much left after that.

Thanks for the idea!

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-07 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/FJC-4926-Univ...8210299&sr=8-4
Thanks for the research...I hadn't thought of using dye. I'm going to order some and the light.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

An Update: So I tried the UV dye in the coolant to see if I can find any antifreeze to oil leaks. I added the dye and brought the engine up to temperature then shut it off and started looking with the UV flashlight. No leaks! Once the engine cooled down I used a coolant pressure tester and built the pressure back to 19 psi. I looked for leaks again...none. The cooling system held a steady pressure for over 2 hours so no obvious problems.

I also took the valve cover off and looked for florescent dye, bubbles or anything unusual while the system was pressurized...there was nothing...nada...zip.

So...now I've ruled out the head gasket (a ton of head work did not change oil analysis's results and head was magnaflux'd), the freeze plugs in the head showed no sign of leaking (UV dye and pressure test), so that leaves the oil cooler.

It would be nice to find someone that can confirm that an oil cooler can leak one way but not the other (my coolant is free of oil). I don't think I have any choice put to take it off and replace it, just to take it out of the equation.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
If there was a breach of the metal in the oil cooler, the oil is under more pressure than the coolant is under driving conditions and cold idle at least. Coolant pressure should be under way under 20 PSI and oil pressure can hit 60+ no problem

2006 RAM 3500 DRW 6 speed 4WD QCLB: unit bearing delete, metric delete, all tow no go.
1991 W350 SRW auto 4WD RCLB: Fleetjunk delete, Garmon trans, NASTRUCK
Just say no to metric Daimler-Fiat
The Following User Says Thank You to Grogg For This Useful Post:
CumminsTNT (01-17-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode