Knocking sound in 4 high only 45-60 MPH - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Knocking sound in 4 high only 45-60 MPH

2004.5 2500 Cummins 4WD 285 tires and K&N cold Air kit otherwise stock:
I've been searching the threads and have seen similar issues but no exact match to what I am experiencing. A month ago I used 4 wheel drive in the first snow. While doing anywhere from 45-55 MPH I noticed a knocking sound under the truck. It seems louder if i lean my head back between the seats. Almost as if it were under neath me. I took it to my local guy and he said the front drive drive shaft needed all new joints. The truck has 99,000 miles on it and the front shaft had not been apart yet so I agreed that was a good place to start. After the shaft rebuild we drove it and the knock is still there. He took the truck back in the shop and put it on the alignment rack and raised it by the axles. They ran it up to 45-50 on the lift in 4 high and he says with a stethoscope the noise is the loudest right at the front pumpkin. I now noise can travel so I am not sure what to think. I have pulled the front cover and no metal shavings in the oil. Seems to be a fair amount of backlash but i don't have the means to measure it. I was hoping someone might have run across this before taking it back to him and spending more money on fixing things that are not broken. There also seems to be a low speed growl in 2wd or 4wd but I think that is just my tires as they are fairly aggressive and about half worn down. There doesn't seem to be any play up and down in the pinion gear or the front carrier assembly. Front wheel bearings were both done around 50K and replaced with Timken. Front axle joints were done around the same time. Thanks for any help

2004 2500 heavy duty quad cab 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Diesel Head

That noise is generally the double cardian / cv looking joint on the front drive shaft

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks but as I stated in my original post, I had the entire front driveshaft rebuilt that included the double cardigan joint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer hunter View Post
Thanks but as I stated in my original post, I had the entire front driveshaft rebuilt that included the double cardigan joint.
Did he only replace the ujoints or that centering joint as well?

05 CCLB 48RE
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

He also replaced the centering ball. He basically rebuilt the entire front shaft. Also pulled it apart and greased the slip yoke portion of it. I personally removed both front axle shafts this past weekend and can verify the axle joints are in great shape. They were replaced about 45k miles ago with good spicer joints. Both front hubs were replaced around that time also and seemed to still be in good shape when I took them off as well. There are however some scratch marks on my carrier assembly. They give the impression that the pinion may be contacting the carrier at those speeds I listed. The noise honestly sounds like it's coming from under neath me when I am driving but as I stated in the original post my mechanic swears the knock is coming from the front pig. He ran the truck up on the alignment rack and lifted it off the rack by the axles then had another tech run the truck up to 50 MPH while he listened to everything under the truck with a stethoscope. According to him the Transfer case wasn't making any knocking sounds but he heard it in the front pumpkin and it was loudest in the center not out by the wheels. This is just a very strange problem. I was really hoping someone on here had run into this before and could shed some light on the situation.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Diesel Head

Check front axle U-joints - they can make a clicking noise when they wear out. Jack up front end and turn wheel to lock. Inspect with a flashlight and try to manipulate U-joints by hand or with a pry bar. Check for excessive rust, play, broken caps, dry bearings, missing needle bearings. If that's not it, pull the front differential cover and check for metal filings or damage.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 08:54 PM
Diesel Head

Double check pinion/carrier bearings and backlash, things do wear as they are always turning.
tryNto likes this.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm still no closer to a solution. Front Carrier and pinion bearing are now all new and gear back lash has been set. Still has a knocking in 4 high at 45-60. Gonna borrow a buddies truck and swap rims and tires to illuminate that before dumping $2000 into a transfer case rebuild. Stinking transfer case is stuck to the transmission tail shaft and they cracked the tail shaft trying to separate it before so we will be replacing the tail shaft this time after they split the units. I sure hope we find something inside the transfer case to be the culprit. Everyone keeps saying keep your old truck don't buy a new one but this is starting to make me go crazy. I just want the thing fixed so I can use it if I need it. It's been at the shop for 3 weeks now.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Diesel Head

Thank you for the update .

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:41 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer hunter View Post
Stinking transfer case is stuck to the transmission tail shaft and they cracked the tail shaft trying to separate it before so we will be replacing the tail shaft this time after they split the units.
You're going to use the same shop after that?!?
rghavana likes this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Call me crazy buy yes. I've known this guy since high school and he is one of few shops in my area that will dive this deep into something. He is very good at repairs and they do good work. This has just been very difficult to diagnose. Noises are so hard to find sometimes, I wish I could strap myself under the truck while it's being driven to listen to everything under there while it's going down the road but I can't. Believe me I'm very frustrated with him as I blamed the transfer case for this problem since day one. However we have found reason to justify making every repair he has made so far. It's just the repairs have not been the cause of the knocking sound yet. I have found one other shop in the area that gets good remarks as far as being a good Diesel shop when it comes to engine work but when I talked to him he did not give the impression they were real strong with axles and such so I decided to stay with what I know. That may or may not have been a good idea but it seemed right at the time. I hate change and I have a hard time trusting someone new. Just me.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 09:23 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

How high of speed is 4HI rated for? (Aside from “Boosted” launches?)

When above 50 MPH, I thought 2WD was the recommended mode...?

2005 3500 SLT QCSB 4WD G56 3.73 EDGE Evolution CS - PXRB / Fleece Coolant Bypass / Big D Steering Stabilizer
Fuel filtration: BF1212 -> P551313 -> PF7977
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode