48re Winter temps - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
48re Winter temps

With the Mishimoto trans cooler installed and the thermostat by-passed . My trans doesn't get much over 120, most of the time it at 100 even with the torque converter cooler installed. heck I swear some times the Mishimoto trans cooler slows down my engine warm up times. I didn't think with torque converter cooler still inline I would have a problem with temps. is 100 to 130 to cool for a 48? it seems to shift fine, even goes into od and locked up when its 28 out. I kept the thermostat for the Mishimoto trans cooler so I could pop it back in. but I called Mishimoto to ask what temp the thermostat opened at and they said 180. That seems a little high, I thought the oem opened at 160ish but maybe I'm wrong. So whats your guys thoughts keep running it or put the thermostat back in?

03 HO/Airdog 165/II 100 hp injectors/built tranny by Brain vannest,Cfm+ /[email protected] CAI/smarty/MRBP 5" ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 12:35 AM
Diesel Head

Mine acts similar to yours , been running just like that for probably 5 plus years no problems.

05 c/c drw 4x4 full billet DTT,billet62/s480,PPE dual fueler,HP tuners,Flux inj.,studded,ported head w Hellmann intake,Hamilton valvetrain, Mitusa gusher,5"flo pro,mag-hytec dd trans and rear diff,guages
The Following User Says Thank You to spooled05 For This Useful Post:
Sazabizc (11-30-2019)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled05 View Post
Mine acts similar to yours , been running just like that for probably 5 plus years no problems.

Good to know, I did read on this forum on a old post . That the trans should be at 140 to 200 due to moisture. He claimed it needed to be warm so moisture couldnít build up. He also pointed out that the trans do vent out to atmosphere so moisture could get in. Seems plausible I guess but not sure if itís really a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 HO/Airdog 165/II 100 hp injectors/built tranny by Brain vannest,Cfm+ /[email protected] CAI/smarty/MRBP 5" ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 12:02 PM
Diesel Head

Once it gets in the low 40’s to 30’s it stays on the peg at 100 unless I’m in town , I run royal purple and it’s been in there for over 120k miles and still looks like new .

05 c/c drw 4x4 full billet DTT,billet62/s480,PPE dual fueler,HP tuners,Flux inj.,studded,ported head w Hellmann intake,Hamilton valvetrain, Mitusa gusher,5"flo pro,mag-hytec dd trans and rear diff,guages
The Following User Says Thank You to spooled05 For This Useful Post:
Sazabizc (11-30-2019)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:12 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
We had 2į here this morning. Fired up the pick up and let it warm up while I loaded the trash for a trip to the dump site. I left the house and the TFT was 70į. By the time I made it the 13 miles to the dump site the TFT was 160į but that was never in torque converter lock up. Normally in this cold weather at highway speeds it won't get over 130į.

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4Ē Diamond Eye exhaust
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
The Following User Says Thank You to Broncowilly For This Useful Post:
Sazabizc (11-30-2019)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Diesel Head

I'm also running the Mishimoto transmission cooler. I haven't really paid much attention to transmission fluid temperature since the weather got cool. My focus was more about summer cooling. I'll have to check to see what temps I'm running now that we're below freezing. I'm running with the thermostat removed. I figured if it was running too cool in the winter, I would just put my winter grill cover on to see if it helped. I usually run a front cover in December and Janauary - otherwise the truck takes forever to warm up. It seems like the torque converter cooler would eventually warm up the transmission fluid to close to the same temp as the coolant. Here's a link to the winter cover I'm running. https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...fr-0309/winter

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
The Following User Says Thank You to MDSWA For This Useful Post:
Sazabizc (11-30-2019)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncowilly View Post
We had 2į here this morning. Fired up the pick up and let it warm up while I loaded the trash for a trip to the dump site. I left the house and the TFT was 70į. By the time I made it the 13 miles to the dump site the TFT was 160į but that was never in torque converter lock up. Normally in this cold weather at highway speeds it won't get over 130į.
thatís cold thankfully it doesnít get that cold where I live . Our winters have sucked the last 5 years or so. Never hardly snows just rain rain rain rain . And tons of mud. I got a 84 inch snow blade for the John Deere 5075e had havenít really been able to use it unfortunately . About 7 or 10 years ago we got a lot of snow all I had to use then was a John Deere 4100 with a 54 inch snow blade and we got about 2 feet or so of snow . It was so much the poor little snow blade could hardly handle it . Keep piling up and falling over the back . Little 4100 struggled to push all that snow at times but man it did good for a little tractor. But needed more weight . The 5075e has filled tires , I estimate it weighs in at 8,500 pound or so . So I should be good on the weight department. Going from 1,700 pounds and 20 hp to 75 hp and 8,500ish pounds is a big leap for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSWA View Post
I'm also running the Mishimoto transmission cooler. I haven't really paid much attention to transmission fluid temperature since the weather got cool. My focus was more about summer cooling. I'll have to check to see what temps I'm running now that we're below freezing. I'm running with the thermostat removed. I figured if it was running too cool in the winter, I would just put my winter grill cover on to see if it helped. I usually run a front cover in December and Janauary - otherwise the truck takes forever to warm up. It seems like the torque converter cooler would eventually warm up the transmission fluid to close to the same temp as the coolant. Here's a link to the winter cover I'm running. https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...fr-0309/winter
Yeah I thought about that front cover. Seems like itís 200$ plus . But I guess it works good. Thatís probably what I need to get . Right now when itís real cold I just use a old towel lol. Yeah itís a little red neck but heck it works. Itís even got a tear near the top that I can hang the towel off the hood latch. Doesnít cover the hole rad or intercooler and seems to let just enough air through the truck doesnít over heat. With the towel on my trans will get up to about 130ish in 28f weather . Whatís nice about the towel itís easy to install and remove lol.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
That cover is on sale for $71.00.

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4Ē Diamond Eye exhaust
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
The Following User Says Thank You to Broncowilly For This Useful Post:
Sazabizc (11-30-2019)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncowilly View Post
That cover is on sale for $71.00.

Yeah I didnít notice that . I was deep frying a turkey when Mdswa posted the link. Might just have to do that.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 PM

Well those temps are a stark difference then mine to say the least. Going off of the TFT inside the trans mine is hitting ~188 degrees before leveling out just driving around town. Coolant @ 190. It's been like ~35 outside too. Even on the highway locked up it'll only get down ~168. I'm thinking my fan is starting to give up but isn't 160+ on the highway still pretty high in 35 ambient? Or does it still need the fan to pull it through?

2004 2500 QC SB 4x4 250k mi and counting
HPTuning by Optimal Welding. Fass 95g LP. K&N Insert. Dynamic Trans VB. Leveling Kit. 285/65/17
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicims View Post
Well those temps are a stark difference then mine to say the least. Going off of the TFT inside the trans mine is hitting ~188 degrees before leveling out just driving around town. Coolant @ 190. It's been like ~35 outside too. Even on the highway locked up it'll only get down ~168. I'm thinking my fan is starting to give up but isn't 160+ on the highway still pretty high in 35 ambient? Or does it still need the fan to pull it through?
Not sure what tft stands for, But im assuming your getting the temp from the obd2 port. if so ive heard that the factory temp sensor isn't very accurate. I'm getting my readings from a sensor in my mag-hytech pan. Not sure what trans cooler your using but Im using a mishimoto trans cooler. Way more efficient then the oem. When I had both the Oem and oem doorman replacement trans cooler , my trans temps rarely dropped below 150 even in 15 F weather when the truck was up to temp.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:19 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazabizc View Post
Not sure what tft stands for, But im assuming your getting the temp from the obd2 port. if so ive heard that the factory temp sensor isn't very accurate. I'm getting my readings from a sensor in my mag-hytech pan. Not sure what trans cooler your using but Im using a mishimoto trans cooler. Way more efficient then the oem. When I had both the Oem and oem doorman replacement trans cooler , my trans temps rarely dropped below 150 even in 15 F weather when the truck was up to temp.
tft stands for transmission fluid temperature... wow......

Ive always used the sensor using the ob2 port. always been accurate for me never an issue

All canadian posts are blocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode