I did a bad thing - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I did a bad thing

We were on a trip to Chicago towing a 9000 pound enclosed car trailer. In Springfield IL I decided to top off the tank so that hopefully we would not need to buy fuel in Chicago proper. I pulled in the lane that had an arrow that said "Diesel" and stopped the engine. It had just under 1/2 tank showing on the gage.

Started pumping fuel and realized it was E-85! Shut it off just under 7 gallons. Started cursing myself for being so stupid. Told the wife we would probably be staying in town for a couple days.

Just then a fire truck pulled in on the other side of the row of pumps where all the diesel was. My wife suggested I ask them for instructions on who best to call. I walked over and started talking to them about my mistake.

The firemen had a diesel mechanic on staff who they called and then put me on the line with. He asked if I had turned the key on. I said no. He said fine, you are going to be OK if you follow my instructions.

Long story short, the firemen took my credit card and went shopping. They came back with 5 five gallon gas cans and one yellow diesel 5 gallon can. They also bought a siphon pump with 10 feet of hose. I siphoned the tank until it was dry. Then filled it to the top with fresh diesel.

While I did get fuel all over myself it turned out great. We made it to Chicago and are now back home without incident. I sent the fire station in Springfield a cookie gram. Those guys are the best!

2006 Dodge 2500 Extended cab
No mods of any kind because they were perfect when built!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tall For This Useful Post:
Broaner (12-09-2019), vreihen (11-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Diesel Head

GLAD it worked out !!!

LIL expensive though

Here in MD you gotta LOOK because the pump handle could be green or black or yellow . Truth

IE: Some stations the gas pumps are all black , and the diesel are green , ok i can get down with that,, and others the gas could be green or black and only the diesel pump is yellow !!
Tall likes this.

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Diesel Freak

Man, I'm happy for you that you saw your mistake before starting the engine, whew. You're not the first one to do something like that, so don't beat yourself up over it. All's well that ends well. Good job.

Gil
Tall likes this.

07' QCLB 3500 4x4 dually, Suncoast PLSD-48RE-4X, billet input, Suncoast 2000 24V Triple Disc, Derale 15870 67,000btu cooler, Derale 25709 w/ spin on 20mu filter in return hose, -8an hoses, Dorman cooler, no heat exchanger 1pc aluminum drive shaft (52123161AC), EMF bj's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 02:24 PM
Diesel Head

Yup, that's a sinking feeling when you realize what you just did. You're certainly not the first or the last. Glad you were able to get it fixed on your own with no further problems. Local dealerships charge about $700.00 for what you were able to accomplish for the cost of a few fuel cans and a siphon hose. I hate that the color codes at the gas pumps keep changing. Awesome that the Fire Department stepped in to help you out when you were on the road.
Tall likes this.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:51 PM
Diesel Freak

My boss topped his ford diesel off with unleaded, maybe 7 gallons, if I remember right. I know it is a Ford, but it destroyed a pretty reliable, older Powerstroke. The piston cooling jets were in the oil pan. The worst of it was, he knew what he did and ran it anyway.

2006 2wd long bed quad cab. Bully dog triple dog programer. Cat fuel filter. Transgo shift kit, 160,000 miles.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:22 AM
Diesel Head

Dump in 1 gal of outboard lube TC-W3 per gal of gas accidentally pumped in.
Let set for 1/2 hr to mix. Drive pickup back and forth short distance to slosh fuel/mix.

On your way.

NO outboard lube, hydraulic oil works< ISO 46 or ISO100.

Better than walking out in a snow storm 50 miles back in the brush.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 08:23 PM

I made the same mistake but at least now I know a 12 valve will run on 75% gasoline 25% diesel just fine. I had one gas truck and one diesel truck at the time so it was probably bound to happen.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:23 AM
Diesel Head

You’re not the first and certainly not the last. I’ve dealt with this situation many many times (not me, I’m a diesel mechanic).

Those firemen are pretty stand up guys for helping you out like that. Cheers to them!
Cummins0867, Tall and QUincy like this.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 ST, RCLB, G56
AFE Intake - 4" Straight Flo-Pro Exhaust - EFILIVE - Southbend DD Clutch - CARLI - TGC 3.5" lift - 20x12 wheels - 35" AT2 Tires
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 AM
Cummins Nut

I put a locking green Stant diesel fuel cap on the tank to slow me down at a fillup station. It makes me think more about what I am doing.
24hrsparkey and plumber802 like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I did that one time with a pump that had a black handle in the diesel lane of an Exxon station while someone beside me was trying to start up a conversation. Pumped about 8 gallons gas on top of 10 gal of diesel before I realized it. I was not even 1/4 mile from my driveway. Drove there, took rubber connector apart on top of tank & siphoned out what I could, loaded up with 5 gals new diesel and a couple of small bottles of 2 stroke, then drove back and filled up completely. Never had an issue. It happens more often than not to many of us.

2005 2500 Laramie QC 6-speed 4X4 Longbed, Original Owner, Maxx Links, 17" FTE Resonator, 2" Levelers, Headache Rack, AirLift Bags, Hellwig Rear Sway. No camo, stacks, hi-po mods, or goofy stickers...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:40 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I put a locking green Stant diesel fuel cap on the tank to slow me down at a fillup station. It makes me think more about what I am doing.
I have the same cap and I love it.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 ST, RCLB, G56
AFE Intake - 4" Straight Flo-Pro Exhaust - EFILIVE - Southbend DD Clutch - CARLI - TGC 3.5" lift - 20x12 wheels - 35" AT2 Tires
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:00 PM
lost

Garage
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Had the same thing happen to me about 8 years ago in the company Ford Powerstroke. Darn gas pump had like 2 black pump handles and one green handle and took for granted it was diesel. Pumped maybe 4-5 gallons of gas before I noticed. I was low on fuel anyway so I think the diesel diluted the gas and ran it out through the system as it seemed to still run good afterwards.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500,6 speed,5 inch MBRB exhaust,Edge Juice w/Attitude,CFM intake manifold,Air Dog 100, 60gallon Titan fuel tank,NEW Bosch 60HP injectors, Mishimoto aluminum radiator,Mishimoto Intercooler,Spyntec aftermarket lock out hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode