Early 04 slight knock/ticking when I left off the throttle. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Early 04 slight knock/ticking when I left off the throttle.

I have an early 04 5.9 and when I let off the throttle (sometimes) there's a slight knock/tick. Only last about 1 or 2 seconds, it's very suddle and I only noticed after I turned my radio off (I did finish going up a hill when I noticed this too and after about 3 more minutes of driving it didn't do it anymore). It isn't loud either and it sounds like a very, very light knock-ish. No white smoke on start up and it starts very quickly. I just did an oil change yesterday and I use rotella T6 5w40 (I live in Ontario canada so it's cold at the moment), I do put diesel kleen in my tank every fill up and the truck is basically stock, besides small tranny upgrades. Truck does have 211k miles (340k kilometers). Anyone know what it is?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Check the injector feed tube hold down clamps, them being loose may cause a tick. Also trying to pinpoint the location of the tick helps.
Thought you had meant sudden, reading again you mean subtle ( delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe ).
rghavana likes this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

Last edited by tryNto; 11-17-2019 at 02:17 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

My bad, I didn't double check what I was typing. I will check out those clamps and see if I can recreate the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryNto View Post
Check the injector feed tube hold down clamps, them being loose may cause a tick. Also trying to pinpoint the location of the tick helps.
Thought you had meant sudden, reading again you mean subtle ( delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Diesel Head

If the line snubbers tightening doesn't solve the noise, try going through the whole injector and connector tube retorque sequence. A loose injector or connector tube can cause diesel leakage and an imbalance noise.

Last try, add 1 oz of TC-W3 outboard lube per gal of diesel. Especially helps with the dry low lube #1 winter thin diesel
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm a little concerned doing that, this truck wasn't well taken care of (rust wise) so stuffs pretty rusty. I do plan on doing all new lines around summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead1 View Post
If the line snubbers tightening doesn't solve the noise, try going through the whole injector and connector tube retorque sequence. A loose injector or connector tube can cause diesel leakage and an imbalance noise.

Last try, add 1 oz of TC-W3 outboard lube per gal of diesel. Especially helps with the dry low lube #1 winter thin diesel
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Sadly none of that stuff helped, but I do have more info that might help. Noise doesn't happen unless the truck has load, I can't recreate the noise in park/neutral. I can however recreate the noise while driving, modest acceleration, then let off the throttle and the noise is back. Sounds more like a hydraulic lifter not pumping up for a few ticks and since these trucks don't use hydraulic lifters, it has to be something else.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Diesel Head

Have you done the valve adjust? Should have been done same time at injector loosen and torque sequence.

Check the push rods and valve rocker mechanisms for any excessive wear or crush damage to ends, bent push rods. All valve ends approx same height? All rockers move freely. Oil getting to all the rockers and valves?
rghavana likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I have not, I'll adjust them Friday, as tomorrow I'm with the gf and she'll complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead1 View Post
Have you done the valve adjust? Should have been done same time at injector loosen and torque sequence.

Check the push rods and valve rocker mechanisms for any excessive wear or crush damage to ends, bent push rods. All valve ends approx same height? All rockers move freely. Oil getting to all the rockers and valves?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Diesel Head

It would be nice to know the rail pressure when you let off also .

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

I agree, I do have things planned, but so far I've just been fixing the truck and slowly replacing . I definitely need a set of gauges. I'll y'all updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
It would be nice to know the rail pressure when you let off also .
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,265 Posts
With original injectors probably one is wearing and out of balance. That is typically where you hear them is when motoring. Try the door wiggle test, open the drivers door all the way and run rpms up to 1000-1200 and watch the door. If it is bouncing and\or wiggling you have unbalanced injectors.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Checked valve lash, all checked out good. Didn't have to adjust any of them. Also did the door test and bumped rpms to 1200 for a few seconds and nothing, not even a wiggle. This noise is driving me nuts, I'm hoping it's something stupid. It's been freezing and below the last couple of days and I've had no issues starting the truck (with or without blocked plugged in), no hazing on start up or after warm up. Once in a blue moon it'll take 3-4 seconds to start vs the 1-2 it usually does start in, but that's only if I've taken a short trip (which I don't like doing, I even go out of my way to take the longer ways to my destination to make sure it gets to operating temp) and it isn't at operating temp yet, but again even then it doesn't always do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusiam View Post
With original injectors probably one is wearing and out of balance. That is typically where you hear them is when motoring. Try the door wiggle test, open the drivers door all the way and run rpms up to 1000-1200 and watch the door. If it is bouncing and\or wiggling you have unbalanced injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode