Lots of white smoke and Knock - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Lots of white smoke and Knock

Hi, I have a 2003 5.9 cummins 200k all stock. I was driving on the highway and I noticed a a ton of white smoke pouring out, and a knock, I drove for 30 seconds to get off the highway and get it towed away. I have a video of it, what do you guys think it is. Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: wmv truck.wmv (1.86 MB, 34 views)
itsbrian707 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Diesel Head
 
tryNto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Central Utah
Posts: 4,786
Thanks: 302
Thanked 574 Times in 507 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Not from experience but 98% sure you got at least 1 injector stuck wide. Do Not run the engine any longer.
Not sure if that short time caused any piston damage but it is something to have checked. Someone who has the knowledge will post more info on the best steps to follow.
Read this thread > https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...l#post29143555
rghavana, N of 60 and GRUNT 11B like this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns




tryNto is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to tryNto For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (11-16-2019)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Diesel Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central KY
Posts: 809
Thanks: 85
Thanked 87 Times in 77 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Here is a copy/paste from a thread that I had started years ago with the exact same symptoms and the solution.

COPY/PASTE FOLLOWS:

An update on this, if anyone happens to be interested.

I needed to find the bad injector, but I did not want to remove them all and send them out to be tested. My thought was that I only wanted to remove the bad injector, not the other 5 that seem to be good. Plus I didn't want to spend more money than I needed to, and the cost of the tests would add to the bottom line.

I know that many folks recommend replacing all 6 injectors. And that is probably prudent. But I don't have the spare cash to replace 5 working injectors.

I borrowed a friend's Gensys scanner and a cylinder contribution test and a cylinder kill test was fruitless for me.

Then I thought that I would remove the exhaust manifold to see which exhaust port in the head was the wet one. Well, one bolt's head near the #5 cylinder and on the bottom tried to strip. So I abandoned that idea.

Then I thought I could just remove the wires from each injector, one at a time until I found the offensive one. I quicly abandoned this idea too because I realized that my problem was an injector that was stuck open. Whether the wires were removed from the injector or not, fuel was going to continue to flow through it.

So I ordered this fuel rail pressure test cap from Genos https://www.genosgarage.com/product/lt-testca/tools. Then I capped one injector at a time at the fuel rail. I started with the easy ones, 1,3,4, and 5 first.

After capping #5 the smoke stopped and the knocking stopped and the engine ran quite well.

I had already bought a NEW injector from Engineered Diesel and had it onhand. I replaced the #5 injector and the crossfeed tube following instructions on this forum and the truck is running perfectly now.

I checked codes just for the heck of it, and it is showing P0201. I'm going to clear it and see if it comes back.

Thank you all for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated and explaining what I did and how I did it is my way of trying to help someone else who may have the same problem and finds this thread in a search.

END OF COPY/PASTE

The above post is from 17 APRIL 2015. Most guys on this forum predicted that the other five injectors would soon fail if I didn't replace them. Well, I am still driving them and the mpg has not changed and the truck still has as much power as it ever had. That was 4.5 years, and 55,000 miles ago.

Good luck,
Gil
24hrsparkey likes this.

07' QCLB 3500 4x4 dually, Suncoast PLSD-48RE-4X, billet input, Suncoast 2000 24V Triple Disc, Derale 15870 67,000btu cooler, Derale 25709 w/ spin on 20mu filter in return hose, -8an hoses, Dorman cooler, no heat exchanger 1pc aluminum drive shaft (52123161AC), EMF bj's
Gildo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:10 AM
Diesel Head
 
steelhead1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,150
Thanks: 47
Thanked 152 Times in 138 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
When you pull the injectors, do a compression and leakdown test on all cylinders.
May surprise you what you find.
steelhead1 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
thanks everyone for the replies, I am pretty sure it is a stuck open injector how long until you melt a piston? I have heard 20 miles but I bought and am going to replace all the injectors.
itsbrian707 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Diesel Head
 
rghavana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,486
Thanks: 89
Thanked 577 Times in 542 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo View Post

The above post is from 17 APRIL 2015. Most guys on this forum predicted that the other five injectors would soon fail if I didn't replace them. Well, I am still driving them and the mpg has not changed and the truck still has as much power as it ever had. That was 4.5 years, and 55,000 miles ago.

Good luck,
Gil
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbrian707 View Post
thanks everyone for the replies, I am pretty sure it is a stuck open injector how long until you melt a piston? I have heard 20 miles but I bought and am going to replace all the injectors.
03-04 original injectors have earlier/different design injector, should replace all with new Bosch or better yet BBI to get updates.
good info here
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...p-bosch-9.html


No set mileage or run time on when engine damage will occur might have happened already, should perform test like steelhead says.
tryNto likes this.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
rghavana is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Diesel Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central KY
Posts: 809
Thanks: 85
Thanked 87 Times in 77 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghavana View Post
03-04 original injectors have earlier/different design injector, should replace all with new Bosch or better yet BBI to get updates.
good info here
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...p-bosch-9.html


No set mileage or run time on when engine damage will occur might have happened already, should perform test like steelhead says.
Regardless of the design, I see no need to replace good injectors. If that's what you want to do, I won't argue.

And you are right, no set mileage or run time, even with new ones. It might happen with the new ones. If it's not broken, I won't fix it.

07' QCLB 3500 4x4 dually, Suncoast PLSD-48RE-4X, billet input, Suncoast 2000 24V Triple Disc, Derale 15870 67,000btu cooler, Derale 25709 w/ spin on 20mu filter in return hose, -8an hoses, Dorman cooler, no heat exchanger 1pc aluminum drive shaft (52123161AC), EMF bj's
Gildo is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I am going to have my mechanic check everything out I am hoping its nothing else, I bought 6 New Bosch injects 30% over. I have read the the thread you posted, and yeah its scary if its a knock off injector. The truck has 200k miles and im sure all the other injectors are gonna be next,, so i just ate the bullet now and replaced them. Other than that do you guys recommend a fuel lift pump
itsbrian707 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 03:26 PM
Diesel Head
 
steelhead1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,150
Thanks: 47
Thanked 152 Times in 138 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yes if you still have the POS OEM Mopar filter housing mounted pump that leaves ya walking home 50 miles on a dark snow blowing night.
rghavana likes this.
steelhead1 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Diesel Head
 
rghavana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,486
Thanks: 89
Thanked 577 Times in 542 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
200k miles pretty good run for stock injectors.
IMO, add on basic pump Fass DRP/Airdog Raptor, not fancy one with filters attached to pump.
Then definitely want better filtration, make your own -3 micron fuel filtering, and larger capacity water separation system or buy Glacier Diesel or Vulcan, bolt on kits.
tryNto likes this.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
rghavana is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Diesel Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central KY
Posts: 809
Thanks: 85
Thanked 87 Times in 77 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I have read many, many more threads on this forum about after market pumps failing than I read about the OEM pumps failing. If the OEM pumps had a failure rate as high as the after market seems to be, there would probably be a recall.

So yeah, replace those OEM parts. They are junk and have only been working for 200,000 miles and many dark snowy nights.

My truck just seems to go against all of the conventional thinking on this forum. My OEM pump works just fine. My OEM fuel filter seems to be working just fine. My injectors have 250,000 miles on them with OEM filtering, what more could be expected of the OEM? Most people on this forum say that at 200,000 miles the injectors are worn out. It seems that my OEM filtering is doing better than that. And it gets only 15.5 miles per gallon, not 20-28 miles per gallon.

I've also seen a lot users on here buy a used truck with 200,000-300,000 miles on it and want to "upgrade from the OEM junk." The OEM got the truck that far, but now it's junk? OK.

I just don't see most of this "stuff" (I'll be nice) as an upgrade and would avoid buying a truck that had that stuff. You see it all the time on here, someone finds a pristine truck with no modifications to it. They are excited to find such a truck, and rightly so, and then they immediately start making it just like one of the trucks that they had decided not to buy because they were modified. It makes no sense to me.

I know I'm a lone voice on this forum when it comes to this stuff, and I'm ok with that.

Gil
tryNto likes this.

07' QCLB 3500 4x4 dually, Suncoast PLSD-48RE-4X, billet input, Suncoast 2000 24V Triple Disc, Derale 15870 67,000btu cooler, Derale 25709 w/ spin on 20mu filter in return hose, -8an hoses, Dorman cooler, no heat exchanger 1pc aluminum drive shaft (52123161AC), EMF bj's
Gildo is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 12:14 AM
Diesel Head
 
02smokin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,745
Thanks: 184
Thanked 209 Times in 191 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo View Post
I have read many, many more threads on this forum about after market pumps failing than I read about the OEM pumps failing. If the OEM pumps had a failure rate as high as the after market seems to be, there would probably be a recall.

So yeah, replace those OEM parts. They are junk and have only been working for 200,000 miles and many dark snowy nights.

My truck just seems to go against all of the conventional thinking on this forum. My OEM pump works just fine. My OEM fuel filter seems to be working just fine. My injectors have 250,000 miles on them with OEM filtering, what more could be expected of the OEM? Most people on this forum say that at 200,000 miles the injectors are worn out. It seems that my OEM filtering is doing better than that. And it gets only 15.5 miles per gallon, not 20-28 miles per gallon.

I've also seen a lot users on here buy a used truck with 200,000-300,000 miles on it and want to "upgrade from the OEM junk." The OEM got the truck that far, but now it's junk? OK.

I just don't see most of this "stuff" (I'll be nice) as an upgrade and would avoid buying a truck that had that stuff. You see it all the time on here, someone finds a pristine truck with no modifications to it. They are excited to find such a truck, and rightly so, and then they immediately start making it just like one of the trucks that they had decided not to buy because they were modified. It makes no sense to me.

I know I'm a lone voice on this forum when it comes to this stuff, and I'm ok with that.

Gil
If he had a in tank pump I would agree with you, but the block mounted lift pumps are junk.

06 4dr,dynamic stg 4,64.5/73/.91,steed speed,anarchy EFi,DDP 150% overs,fleece dual cp3ís,Fleece bypass,Fass 165,ARP 425ís,Manton springs/pushrods,pac brake,6" Carli,long arms, king 2.5's,WFO traction bars,35ís
02smokin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome