48re trans 2006 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
48re trans 2006

Hi guys kind of knew here just bought a 2006 Cummings auto transmission guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from said it had a Billet built transmission in it. I don't know for sure shifts fine has a bad transmission leak in it I'm going to install mag-hytec pan on it for better Cooling. Also when you put it in gear it takes a while to get moving. I don't know much about transmission's. Band adjustment May be???Any way to find out if it's a Billet built transmission by pulling the pan or do you have to yank out
the transmission to look at the parts. Probably a dumb question for you knowledgeable guys don't beat me up too bad. Thanks for any information

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
No auto trans for me, but if I did, this would help.
https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/art...7re-48re-r352/
rghavana and BR3500 like this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:40 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
You won't be able to see any of the shafts to confirm they are billet but other parts like a red or black servos gold colored kick down band lever and anchor might tell you if it's built over stock.

As to the aftermarket pan, I'm not convinced they do all that much. I've got a stock tin pan and since I installed a mystery switch and one of Jon at Dynamic Transmission Parts' custom valve bodies that allows torque converter lock up in all forward gears I don't have a heating issue.

Before the valve body replacement when pulling 20,000 pounds on steep mountain roads it would heat up really bad.

Check the shift shaft seal and the wiring bulkhead connection for your leak. If it's a stock rubber stripped plastic gasket they are pretty good about sealing unless they've been over used or the rubber has been cut or scuffed.

Give Jon a call. He's great to do business with and very helpful.

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4 Diamond Eye exhaust
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncowilly View Post

As to the aftermarket pan, I'm not convinced they do all that much.
I agree.

If it's really a billet transmission, I doubt that a factory torque converter would have been installed. If you remove the cover from the beneath the torque converter and inspect the torque converter all around, you MAY see a stamped name and/or a model number. If it is a stock converter, I would be skeptical that the transmission was anything other than stock.

My triple disc converter is serious about lockup. When it goes into lock up, it means business, it feels like someone just tapped my rear bumper with their front bumper. If yours feels soft and mushy, it's probably stock.

Gil

07' QCLB 3500 4x4 dually, Suncoast PLSD-48RE-4X, billet input, Suncoast 2000 24V Triple Disc, Derale 15870 67,000btu cooler, Derale 25709 w/ spin on 20mu filter in return hose, -8an hoses, Dorman cooler, no heat exchanger 1pc aluminum drive shaft (52123161AC), EMF bj's
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddogusmc View Post
Hi guys kind of knew here just bought a 2006 Cummings auto transmission guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from said it had a Billet built transmission in it. I don't know for sure shifts fine has a bad transmission leak in it I'm going to install mag-hytec pan on it for better Cooling. Also when you put it in gear it takes a while to get moving. I don't know much about transmission's. Band adjustment May be???Any way to find out if it's a Billet built transmission by pulling the pan or do you have to yank out
the transmission to look at the parts. Probably a dumb question for you knowledgeable guys don't beat me up too bad. Thanks for any information
Does it have stock pan on it? Aftermarket pans will help keep things cooler longer as there is more fluid with the extra capacity (usually 4 quarts). The drain plugs are really the biggest improvement IMO.

When you say it takes a while to move are we talking 5 seconds? 10 seconds?

When I had my 48 built they removed a check ball that held fluid in converter for better all around flow. I would have to wait 5-10 seconds for converter to fill with fluid.

Shoot me a pm if you’d like pricing on a pan or any other parts!

2013 Ram 2500
John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Hey Mike yes it has a stock oil pan when I put it in reverse to get out of the garage it takes 5 or 10 seconds to move maybe you're right maybe that check ball has been removed I don't know it shifts just fine once it starts moving. Going to have to degrease everything tighten all bolts to see where it's leaking. It has pillar gauges on it says it gets kind of warm like to 230 to 240 degrees pulling nothing. Just bought this thing has rebuilt engine in it first owner trashed the motor. I got to see where the trans temp gauge is connected. I before or after the cooler?? It's not in the transmission pan so it's connected before or after the cooler
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:43 PM

230/240 is hot IMO. Usually you want it to mirror engine temp or a bit cooler so 170-200 range when

I would check the return line for the gauge reading. There is a type of reader that fits over the metal crimping on the return line to read temps.

What kind of gauges?

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]

Last edited by TexNeck; 11-16-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey Mike the gauges are Phantom Auto Meter it looks like they ain't too cheap reading some of the reviews don't know.I'll have to find one of those meters to check if the reading is accurate on the gauge. Still didn't have time to see where it's tapped into it's not a pan. Thanks Mike and everyone else I'll keep you posted
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddogusmc View Post
Hey Mike the gauges are Phantom Auto Meter it looks like they ain't too cheap reading some of the reviews don't know.I'll have to find one of those meters to check if the reading is accurate on the gauge. Still didn't have time to see where it's tapped into it's not a pan. Thanks Mike and everyone else I'll keep you posted
Autometer makes a good gauge so likely not the culprit. Reading the return line will have a higher reading than in pan or feed line. Keep us posted

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
48re trans 2006

My built tranny takes a few seconds to engage when first started. Thats normal. Once running its fine. Also, check the tranny fluid level, it might be high and thus the leaking out of the vent. Smell it and look at it. Should not smell burnt or a super dark color either. Might need a fluid change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 4x4 QCSB 2500 Laramie 5.9 Auto - Thuren equipped - Toyo R/T 37s
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I'll keep you posted
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncowilly View Post
You won't be able to see any of the shafts to confirm they are billet but other parts like a red or black servos gold colored kick down band lever and anchor might tell you if it's built over stock.

As to the aftermarket pan, I'm not convinced they do all that much. I've got a stock tin pan and since I installed a mystery switch and one of Jon at Dynamic Transmission Parts' custom valve bodies that allows torque converter lock up in all forward gears I don't have a heating issue.

Before the valve body replacement when pulling 20,000 pounds on steep mountain roads it would heat up really bad.

Check the shift shaft seal and the wiring bulkhead connection for your leak. If it's a stock rubber stripped plastic gasket they are pretty good about sealing unless they've been over used or the rubber has been cut or scuffed.

Give Jon a call. He's great to do business with and very helpful.
Do you have to manually actuate the torque converter lock up with a switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode