White smoke when grid heater cycles - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
White smoke when grid heater cycles

So I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my truck, it all started a few weeeks ago when I noticed white smoke on start up from the exhaust after some diagnosis and research I put a set of stock reman industrial injection injectors in it and just to my luck it didn’t seem to change much, all injectors seem to be firing correctly when I shoot the exhaust ports with a thermometer, the original injectors had 205,000 on em and I’m sure needed replaced so I’m not to bummed I put a new set in.

At the same time I put a new Cummins FCA in the truck and drained all fuel in entire fuel system new fuel filters and cleaned the tank which was almost spotless already.

So when I start the truck it smokes when the grid heater cycles on so I dissconnected the grid heater and it still smokes at idle until the voltage increases or I hold it around 1000 rpm and once the voltage comes up it runs and drives fine only code it threw was for the grid heater being disconnected.

So I order a new Cummins grid heater, relays and gaskets, I put them on and the first couple start ups it didn’t smoke and even kicked into high idle by itself then I went to start it up yesterday morning and it was doing the same thing so I removed all the wires for the gridheater system and inspected them all and they all seemed good I then went crazy with cleaning every connection and bolt even more then I already had still didn’t fix it.

I’m beating my head against a wall with this thing and I need it for work I’m 19 and travel the country for work so I don’t have all the money in the world to throw at it truck is pretty much bone stock except for intake horn, banks intercooler, electric fans, airdog 165. And the previous owner put a brand new stock turbo on it not too long before I bought it, the turbo feels tight and doesn’t make any funny noises on spool up.

And there’s no delay on start up it always fires right up even with the grid heater disconnected and up here in New England it’s already hitting lows 20s high teens at night

I need help any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Diesel Freak

Your injectors are probably leaking down while the engine is off. Remanned injectors have problems. you could probably pull the exhaust manifold away from the head and start the motor to verify which injector is leaking down.

2006 2wd long bed quad cab. Bully dog triple dog programer. Cat fuel filter. Transgo shift kit, 160,000 miles.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

If I were having a injector leak down would the smoke be more black ? and its funny that the truck smokes way less with the grid heater not hooked up, I have a video I can post up of it smoking while the grid heater cycles if that would help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Diesel Freak

Is the smoke happening on first startup when it's cold out and does it clear up after a few minutes while the grid heater is cycling?

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 QC/DRW Sport
Mods...what mods? I have to pay for it first
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

It only smokes on start up and clears up once I watch my voltage gage come up and steady out, when the grid heater turns on is when the smoke gets worse and if I high idle the truck all the smoke goes away after the voltage comes up it’s runs and drives fine
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 02:54 PM
Diesel Freak

It seems normal except for the part where you state the smoke gets worse when the grid heater turns on. When I first start my 06, I wait for the wait to start light to go out. Start it, let it idle for a minute or 2. During this time, the grid heater cycles, white smoke quantity seems to vary on how cold it is. But after a few minutes, the white smoke decreases and away I go. If you have a block heater, try plugging it in over night and see what happens at first start.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 QC/DRW Sport
Mods...what mods? I have to pay for it first
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah_24v View Post
It only smokes on start up and clears up once I watch my voltage gage come up and steady out, when the grid heater turns on is when the smoke gets worse and if I high idle the truck all the smoke goes away after the voltage comes up itís runs and drives fine
It is strange , more smoke when grids are ON. Or at least you think they are on.

Couple of thoughts .
Often the "volt Gauge " is delayed quite some seconds . Simple voltage meter would verify grids ON for real time Voltage present under load vs smoke output .

Almost sounds like you have a power/voltage issue , they sucking 90% elect power away from the engine and normal would be more like 60%.

Please test both batteries individually , just for giggles . They are the storage units for all that power , if they dont store enough you wont get enough regardless of the alt output . Just the way it is.

I have a nice lil electronic battery tester from Amazon , like 38$.
Just plug in type of battery and CCA rating ,, it gives all sorts of info, capacity present vs rating , internal resistance ( important ) and a pass , fail. I like it . Way better than the olden toaster load testers.

good luck 24hrsparkey
ssteve likes this.

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
So Iím trying to figure out whatís going on with my truck, it all started a few weeeks ago when I noticed white smoke on start up from the exhaust after some diagnosis and research I put a set of stock reman industrial injection injectors in it and just to my luck it didnít seem to change much, all injectors seem to be firing correctly when I shoot the exhaust ports with a thermometer, the original injectors had 205,000 on em and Iím sure needed replaced so Iím not to bummed I put a new set in.
Problem is they were NOT new. So you still donít know where you are at.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:44 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
If I were having a injector leak down would the smoke be more black ?
No....... not on start up.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I plugged it in for about 6hours during the day when I turned the key to the run position my edge cts2 read 124 degrees for coolant temp started it up and still no change I wish this thing would show its ugly head, no problem fixing it just finding it, thanks for the help keep the suggestions rollin
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I have a edge cts2 and I can watch the voltage drop when the grids cycle even though the voltage gauge in the dash doesn’t move so I know that they are kicking on.

Do you have a link to that tester I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have another tool in my box I was thinking that my batteries may be toast but it never has a long or slow crank but again anything can happen
24hrsparkey likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I have a edge cts2 and I can watch the voltage drop when the grids cycle even though the voltage gauge in the dash doesnít move so I know that they are kicking on.

Do you have a link to that tester I guess it wouldnít hurt to have another tool in my box I was thinking that my batteries may be toast but it never has a long or slow crank but again anything can happen
Well at least you have real time voltage readings on the Edge. Good .
How low a voltage reading you get , while grids are on ?
Whats your Rail P at idle while this is happening , any drop in RP when grids firing ?

Im not good at providing links sorry , but

ANCEL BA101 Professional 12V 100-2000 CCA 220AH Automotive Load Battery Tester Digital Analyzer Bad Cell Test Tool for Car/Boat/Motorcycle and More. 48$-54$ .
There is a newer model BA200 , dont know about it .

I always use and select "battery not in vehicle" with battery cables off , and test each seperatly . It has a selection for " battery in vehicle " also but i dont use that , car or truck . I just want to test the battery itself.

You may or may not have an electrical problem , but nice to have a battery tester that gives all sorts of good information.

good luck

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode