Bd boost fooler question - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Bd boost fooler question

I have a 05 ram 5.9 All stock except 4 inch exhaust from turbo back, and dual disc converter with shift kit.If I install a bd boost fooler is there anything else I need to do? This is my daily driver and I tow 10,000 lbs. Also will this help my turbo lag? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Why do you think you need a boost fooler? Do you have a CEL on? Until your turbo is making more boost than your ecm expects it to, you donít need one.

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,265 Posts
Boost fooler will get your more boost but not help turbo lag. Explain better the problems you are seeing so we have the big picture.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

When pulling it seams to take awhile to get going. Prolly need a tuner. Of course Iím use to a 2017 power stroke I just sold. I know there is no comparison.Just want to get a little more out of the 5.9
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:40 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Cummins man View Post
When pulling it seams to take awhile to get going. Prolly need a tuner. Of course Iím use to a 2017 power stroke I just sold. I know there is no comparison.Just want to get a little more out of the 5.9

You would do better by getting custom tuning

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:45 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
I have an 05 too. I use the Smarty S-06 and keep it about mid level on #5. I also use the tow/haul as I have big mud tires. I love the way the tow/haul is set up on the Ď05 - just have to let up a bit when itís ready to go into 4th because it locks up the TC at the same time. The Smarty is a very fun tuner on this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05Cummins man likes this.

2005 QCSB 4x4, S-06 PoD, Viper TC / built trans, Arc-flow, TRC Billet 2 Micron Fuel Filter/Water Separator.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Iíve seen ads where it shows the boost fooler with a smarty. Is it necessary? Iím not gonna put more than 100 to it.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Cummins Nut

All you need is the boost fooler, it plugs into your map sensor on the driver side of valve cover.

Quote:
just have to let up a bit when itís ready to go into 4th because it locks up the TC at the same time.
Spikeshd, I thought the 05 when in tow haul locked out 4th overdrive ? Is it just locking up in 3rd ?

I don't have an 05 but my son did and that's the way his worked.

07 3500 MegaCab 5.9,CAI,BMS 50hp inj,SpoolAid,AFE3.5" intake,AFE SS exh,Snow stage 3,smarty SSR UDC 4"lift,5"dual exhaust,HX40 Wicked Wheel,BD Triple disc,Billet shafts,BD stage 4,BD VB,DD pan,Fass150,8an line,Twin fuel filters,Traction bars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smoksho For This Useful Post:
05Cummins man (10-20-2019)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:14 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Iíve seen ads where it shows the boost fooler with a smarty. Is it necessary? Iím not gonna put more than 100 to it.
I have a smarty and have seen 55 psi with no cel and no boost fooler . I talked to some at smarty and the smarty will keep the high boost code from coming on up to 100 psi ish, don't qutoe me on that, it was years ago i talked to them.

03 HO/Airdog 165/II 100 hp injectors/built tranny by Brain vannest,Cfm+ /[email protected] CAI/smarty/MRBP 5" ss
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:10 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoksho View Post
Spikeshd, I thought the 05 when in tow haul locked out 4th overdrive ? Is it just locking up in 3rd ?

I don't have an 05 but my son did and that's the way his worked.

The 05 tow/haul mode does not lockout overdrive(4th). Tow/haul changes the shift points slightly to hang onto a gear a touch longer.

With tuning you can change tow/haul to lockout overdrive.

I believe the 03 and early 04 trucks lockout overdrive. But I am not certain of that.
SpikesHD likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to 4everlearning For This Useful Post:
Sazabizc (10-21-2019)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlearning View Post
The 05 tow/haul mode does not lockout overdrive(4th). Tow/haul changes the shift points slightly to hang onto a gear a touch longer.

With tuning you can change tow/haul to lockout overdrive.

I believe the 03 and early 04 trucks lockout overdrive. But I am not certain of that.

Yep I have an 03 and thereís a button on the shifter and disables over drive . Pretty handy if your towing heavy and want more rpm for boost and or so you donít lug the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 HO/Airdog 165/II 100 hp injectors/built tranny by Brain vannest,Cfm+ /[email protected] CAI/smarty/MRBP 5" ss
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,265 Posts
Quote:
100 what? PSI of boost? You won't get anywhere near that with major upgrades in fuel and turbos.

If you can turn off the WG with the Smarty or fool the controller and use a boost elbow then you do not need a boost fooler. Smarty will remap the boost tables to about 45 psi, that is all there is room for. Smarty will also turn off over boost DTC's in the software.

The 05 TH is just that more aggressive shifting and lockup algorithms. You can modify that 2 ways if wanted, with an OD lockout box, or, reprogram the TCM so the button is just and OD off.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode