Installed new BD intercooler and have a whining sound not heard before - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Installed new BD intercooler and have a whining sound not heard before

BD intercooler: Huge, well made. See pics. Why: I installed a larger turbo a few weeks back and had been hitting 1250deg EGT and a few times 1300+. Higher than I like but managed, but I wanted to try out a larger intercooler to make it lower. I have ran it for a week but had other issues with air flow in another post. So, the jury is still out.
Initial results are better.

Issue now is: using stock boost tubes, are these making an annoying boost whine beginning at 12psi?? Initial thoughts are disruptive flow post turbo, pre intake elbow.

Has anyone else had this noise and what did you do? I have turbo whistle some and this isnít it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 Mega, BD Billet Trans, SFIFlexplate, TripleDisc and Intercooler, 62/68,CTS2, EFI, BBI .5s, Hellwig, Fox 2.0 Adj, Fleece CP3, Beans, FASS95, Thuren Control, Trackbar + XS Coils, Dynatrac FS+BJs, 09steering, Toyo RT's, SOTA rims, CE batt cables, Fluidampr...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Diesel Head

Sounds like a boost leak , rig up a pressure tester and pump the system up and you’ll find it .

05 c/c drw 4x4 full billet DTT,billet62/s480,PPE dual fueler,HP tuners,Flux inj.,studded,ported head w Hellmann intake,Hamilton valvetrain, Mitusa gusher,5"flo pro,mag-hytec dd trans and rear diff,guages
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
^^that

Had the same thing when I installed a fleabay knockoff pusher intake and glacier hot/cold pipes. Didnít get one of the boots on perfectly square and there was a leak on the hot side at the intercooler.

Itíd get to 11-12psi and make a god-awful sound like a stuck pig.

If you can pressure check the system youíll probably find itís one of the boots you R&Ríd to install your intercooler.

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, grid delete, fleabay elbow, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, Mishimoto stock replacement radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Ok Iíve seen those testers. Iíll do that. Hopefully will find it and fix it. Yeah, itís so annoying!!

06 Mega, BD Billet Trans, SFIFlexplate, TripleDisc and Intercooler, 62/68,CTS2, EFI, BBI .5s, Hellwig, Fox 2.0 Adj, Fleece CP3, Beans, FASS95, Thuren Control, Trackbar + XS Coils, Dynatrac FS+BJs, 09steering, Toyo RT's, SOTA rims, CE batt cables, Fluidampr...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Update: found two huge leaks by using this turbo leak tool. You could also make one but I didnít. The tool is good quality and function for what it cost.

I also ended up using one of the kitís clamps after snapping one of poor quality (that came with my upgraded intake elbow). Biggest challenge I found was finding the right sized quality clamps that would tighten down on the new turbo and intercooler with some force. Having good clamps for higher boost applications goes a long way.

Fortunately I had an AFE boost tube kit I previously bought, but it didnít fit the oem setup I had before, so I didnít use it.

Just drove a 3 hr trip and the truck ran like it hadnít ever before. What a difference solid, consistent boost makes. Now I can continue to dial in the wastegate setting.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 05:22 PM
Diesel Head

Looks good , glad it was a simple fix , I urge people to pressure check every time a boot is taken off.

05 c/c drw 4x4 full billet DTT,billet62/s480,PPE dual fueler,HP tuners,Flux inj.,studded,ported head w Hellmann intake,Hamilton valvetrain, Mitusa gusher,5"flo pro,mag-hytec dd trans and rear diff,guages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode