BBI stage 0.5 or New Bosch - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
BBI stage 0.5 or New Bosch

I know I know another injector thread. I'm in the market and wanted to hear opinions between going with new Bosch vs. BBI stage 0.5s remans in a stock truck with stock tuning. I'm in Colorado, so I have to pass emissions yearly.

I like the idea of quieter smoother and more efficient from the BBI's, and 50 extra hp never hurt anyone. At the same time I'm at 172K on my originals and they are just now starting to show their age, so I see those as a really good value too. Price is basically a wash between the two.

1984 Dodge CCSB P-pump NV4500- SOLD
2005 QCSB NV5600, SouthBend OKHD, CFM+, Jake brake, Thuren 3in, Steering brace, Synergy Track Bar, Vulcan 3 micron w/ CAT UHE 416-1225, CTS2 Insight, HPTuners by Optimal Welding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Diesel Head

I would go bbi but might need some custom tuning to clean them up?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Derek B.

2003 QCab, S.Touch, Tater 62/65, 3" pintop, Toyo CT 35's on 17" Beasts.

91.5 W250 5spd, GV OD, Alcans, PS IC, HE351CW, Spring and pump mods, Bilstein shocks, Valair DD clutch, Crossover steering.

1974 pontiac ventura 455P, best of [email protected] so far.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I'd take the BBis. Coming from a guy who would only ever buy a new set of injectors. Cant go wrong with either, but the BBis will be as clean, but idle smoother and drive better. Idle might be quieter as well..

Connector tubes are included right now with BBis iirc..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
If you can find which one has a lower failure rate, that might help you make your decision.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

I know the BBI remains have a failure rate of only .4%. I imagine the failure rate on new Bosch is probably info we’ll never know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 QCSB NV5600, SouthBend OKHD, CFM+, Jake brake, Thuren 3in, Steering brace, Synergy Track Bar, Vulcan 3 micron w/ CAT UHE 416-1225, CTS2 Insight, HPTuners by Optimal Welding
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmehr View Post
I know the BBI remains have a failure rate of only .4%. I imagine the failure rate on new Bosch is probably info we’ll never know...

Martin on here from bbi might have or know that info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:

It's very low. I've heard/read from retailers that they will have one go bad once every 6 years. Or less.....

Keep in mind that martin at BBi did get to the bottom of those failed remans and fixed the underlying issue. There have been no failures since. I remain unsure how many cumulative miles are on the injectors sold since then. However, they usually fail fairly quickly. It doesnt typically take 10k miles for a failure to show up in those parts..

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelonas View Post
It's very low. I've heard/read from retailers that they will have one go bad once every 6 years. Or less.....

Keep in mind that martin at BBi did get to the bottom of those failed remans and fixed the underlying issue. There have been no failures since. I remain unsure how many cumulative miles are on the injectors sold since then. However, they usually fail fairly quickly. It doesnt typically take 10k miles for a failure to show up in those parts..

The new Bosch rate is one goes bad every six years?! That's pretty incredible, especially given i bet a whole lot more Bosch are sold than BBIs...

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
The new Bosch rate is one goes bad every six years?! That's pretty incredible, especially given i bet a whole lot more Bosch are sold than BBIs...
In my searches(which aren't wholly conclusive).... I read of one brand new Bosch failure. However. Upon reading that thread in its entirety, the OP stated that was the first failure that retailer had ever seen and he had sold a lot in his time. I'm not recalling names, but I know for a fact this wasn't a dream or something I thought I read. That distributor then said he had heard of 2 or 3 other ones going bad from other major distributors. Keep in mind there are, what, 3 or 4 authorized bosch distributors in the US?

From my understanding, there is extreme quality control on these things from Bosch themselves, that's why the failure rate is so low, but price so high...

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelonas View Post
In my searches(which aren't wholly conclusive).... I read of one brand new Bosch failure. However. Upon reading that thread in its entirety, the OP stated that was the first failure that retailer had ever seen and he had sold a lot in his time. I'm not recalling names, but I know for a fact this wasn't a dream or something I thought I read. That distributor then said he had heard of 2 or 3 other ones going bad from other major distributors. Keep in mind there are, what, 3 or 4 authorized bosch distributors in the US?

From my understanding, there is extreme quality control on these things from Bosch themselves, that's why the failure rate is so low, but price so high...

That's pretty incredible. I'd like to hear more concrete data on it though. Who are the authorized Bosch distributors? When I look at the Bosch website, it says the closest place to me is Autozone...

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:08 AM
Supporting Vendors

I will choose BBI all day everyday. Right now they are having a sale where you purchase any reman or new injector and you get the supply tubes for free! Here is a link to the promo as well as the injector knowledge.

This data is directly from Martin as i work closely with him and do my best to only post facts.

Promo- https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/d...ber-promo.html

Injector Knowledge- https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/d...knowledge.html
tryNto likes this.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email us at:
[email protected]

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:10 AM
Supporting Vendors

Although bosch is great, BBI's tolerances are much tighter. Martin and his partner were on the design and engineering team for the bosch injectors so you can rest assured they know what they are doing. With a set of BBI injectors you will get a much smoother idle then any new bosch injector hands down.
tryNto and 24hrsparkey like this.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email us at:
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode