White smoke only when engine is cold - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
White smoke only when engine is cold

I have a 2006 5.9 cummins.. I just replaced all 6 injectors today and The truck puffs white smoke when the engine is cold.. but once it warms up in about 10 minutes , the white smoke goes away.. I live in Florida so I don’t think that’s normal.. I don’t have my heater grid since I have an after market intake.. any ideas what could it be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:40 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Itís compression. One or more of your cylinders have worn or cracked rings, possibly a valve issue (lash way out or valve not seating). When the engine gets warm enough and metal expands, compression increases and you can squeeze the air in the cylinder enough to generate enough temperature to immediately burn all the fuel injected into cylinder.

You probably didnít want to hear that. I have well over $100,000.00 into my 2015 and only 40,000 miles, I have the same issue but my problem may be from bent connecting rods from too much power.

I just bought a whole set of factory new Bosch injectors and installed myself. Didnít change a thing, I am literally refinancing my house to pay off $50,000.00 of credit card debt mostly from truck and have some cash to replace rods/pistons, hone cylinders or bore over, maybe just get a fully built performance engine if it looks bad.

Iím 6í4Ē and my truck is my Sports Car/Hotrod, since I canít fit in one, but I had no idea what it was going to cost me and I donít even have my compounds yet.

Post your truck details and mods if you want a more detailed answer.

Good luck, Tom J.

2015 maximum steel 2500 BigHorn, HPP/CTT EFI Live, RevMax Sig 850, Garrett GTX4294R 70.3/82/1.01, Steed Speed, TS ďBig BubbaĒ BOV, S&S 150% Inj, Custom 11mm CP3, Fleece PowerFlo Lift Pump, ARP 625, Hamilton 182/214 cam, Springs & Pushrods, 4.10ís.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:46 AM
Diesel Head

Did you go reman injectors or brand new Bosch units?

If you went with reman my money is on the injectors. Very common.
rghavana and Broncowilly like this.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 ST, RCLB, G56
AFE Intake - 4" Straight Flo-Pro Exhaust - EFILIVE - Southbend DD Clutch - CARLI - TGC 3.5" lift - 20x12 wheels - 35" AT2 Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Bingo.

I will add, though, that BBI remans have a good reputation.

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter, and cassette tapes all year.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I installed brand new injectors not reman...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

I installed brand new injectors not reman... I cant figure what’s causing this white smoke issue
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:30 AM
Diesel Head

FWIW, a lot of BS with "new" injectors should make sure you got what you paid for
https://www.bigbanginjection.com/5.9...identification

If you are sure got real brand new Bosch injectors, properly installed.
next i would check for any codes ECM controls fuel, monitor/check rail pressure demanded vs actual, when issue is occurring.
tryNto likes this.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Cummins Nut

are they oversize or stock? I have BBI stage 2 injectors and when it is cold out mine make a white haze when it is cold and when it warms up it is fine. It really is smokey when it gets below 50 degrees. I also have a fairly new rebuilt engine as well so i know I don't have any cracked rings and I have no blowby either.

2003 Ram
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Not too long ago I received a PM about a set of injectors I bought from Injectors Direct. The PM claimed ID was selling cheap Chinese injectors as brand new Bosch. Said there was proof but he has not answered the two PMs I sent asking for details. I think it was a load of crap accusation. Iíve got nearly 100,000 on my ID injectors and could not be happier.

OP, it might behoove you to confirm what your injectors are simply because of the stories floating around out there.

Did your truck smoke before you installed the new injectors? If it did I would suspect compression. If not, Iíd suspect the injectors.

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4Ē Diamond Eye exhaust
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Diesel Head

What are ALL the numbers on the top of the "new" Bosch injectors you installed?

Are they stock flow or aftermarket high flow rate nozzles?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncowilly View Post
Not too long ago I received a PM about a set of injectors I bought from Injectors Direct. The PM claimed ID was selling cheap Chinese injectors as brand new Bosch. Said there was proof but he has not answered the two PMs I sent asking for details. I think it was a load of crap accusation. I’ve got nearly 100,000 on my ID injectors and could not be happier.

OP, it might behoove you to confirm what your injectors are simply because of the stories floating around out there.

Did your truck smoke before you installed the new injectors? If it did I would suspect compression. If not, I’d suspect the injectors.
Same jackA$$ PM'd me about Injectors Direct also. The injectors I bought from them are legit, and I have put a ton of miles on them, no problem. These guys are awesome to work with.

I wrote an email to ID to let them know they got a guy pulling this crap. They just called me just a little bit later to discuss it. The guy is full of it. He is one of those sue-happy subhumans. If you search his name on the interwebs, he is all over it. I think he spends the majority of his life in court. Probably makes good money at it too!

If it didn't do it before, and it does now, it has to be the injectors, or possibly install. If it did the same thing before, I would think it is a compression issue.

2007 Dodge 5.9 3500 CC 4X4 dually. S&B intake, Diamond Eye 4", Pacbrake, Edge CTS2, Anarchy EFI live. Updated 1 piece aluminum drive line.
The Following User Says Thank You to Custom_billet For This Useful Post:
Broncowilly (09-15-2019)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom_billet View Post
Same jackA$$ PM'd me about Injectors Direct also. The injectors I bought from them are legit, and I have put a ton of miles on them, no problem. These guys are awesome to work with.

I wrote an email to ID to let them know they got a guy pulling this crap. They just called me just a little bit later to discuss it. The guy is full of it. He is one of those sue-happy subhumans. If you search his name on the interwebs, he is all over it. I think he spends the majority of his life in court. Probably makes good money at it too!

If it didn't do it before, and it does now, it has to be the injectors, or possibly install. If it did the same thing before, I would think it is a compression issue.

He’s all over the net but not for what you mentioned. He’s all over the 10th circuit court docket for a conspiracy to distribute Oxycodone conviction!
Custom_billet likes this.

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4Ē Diamond Eye exhaust
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode