NV5600 lube alteration - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes
  • 1 Post By BFD
  • 1 Post By Squeaksleaks
  • 1 Post By tryNto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
NV5600 lube alteration

Can anyone tell me what a lube alteration is on an NV5600? I'd heard of a customization you can do where oil is pumped in to the top of the gear box, thereby making shifting easier and cooling better. Is that it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Sorry, no idea on this subject.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:49 PM
BFD
Diesel Freak

I ran 6 qts of RP synchro max in mine with awesome results. Some guys use 7'qts. Some guys take the shifter out to get the extra juice in. I always took the left pto plate off to check the magnet so I put another fill hole in the plate while I,had it off the first time. Craig
custom03 likes this.

2012 CCLB 4wd dually, 3.73, 68rfe, Fass, Deleted, EFI engine/trans tuning, BD IH SXE 363/80/.91 w/ebrake, 4" turbo back/51" Quiet Tone. DD and tow vehicle.
Olde too soon... Schmart too late!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:43 PM
Cummins Fan

I think you are referring to the "power lube" mod.

""Powerlube Mod" Passageways for lube are enlarged. I will try to get more info on what specifically is modified. This requires a full teardown. Any time you are going through the effort of fully rebuilding you should do this. At ~$275 its money well spent. The shifting is a lot faster and smoother with this mod performed and it really helps 6th live longer by keeping the smaller gear cool. I have driven non powerlubed trans and powerlubed trans within hrs of each other. The difference is very tangible at all RPM's. This gets even more pronounced at 3,000+. The non treated trans I had would NEVER shift above 3500 rpm's. Even above 3,000 it would really take some muscling. Modded, its no problem ripping a gear at 4,000 rpm with normal'ish effort."
-Broaner

That quote was taken right off of Broaners thread https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...-upgrades.html
It has alot of good information regarding his trails and tribulations getting a NV5600 to handle his power output.
custom03 likes this.

2008 2500 6.7 4x4 68RFE deleted with smarty jr

2003 2500 5.9 4x4 NV5600
The Following User Says Thank You to Squeaksleaks For This Useful Post:
tryNto (08-20-2019)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
I ran 6 qts of RP synchro max in mine with awesome results. Some guys use 7'qts. Some guys take the shifter out to get the extra juice in. I always took the left pto plate off to check the magnet so I put another fill hole in the plate while I,had it off the first time. Craig
I'm about to pull my trans and xfer case to do a clutch replacement. Can't find a drain plug. Do I pull the pto plate? And when I put it back do I need to get a special gasket or will gasket goop work?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaksleaks View Post
I think you are referring to the "power lube" mod.

""Powerlube Mod" Passageways for lube are enlarged. I will try to get more info on what specifically is modified. This requires a full teardown. Any time you are going through the effort of fully rebuilding you should do this. At ~$275 its money well spent. The shifting is a lot faster and smoother with this mod performed and it really helps 6th live longer by keeping the smaller gear cool. I have driven non powerlubed trans and powerlubed trans within hrs of each other. The difference is very tangible at all RPM's. This gets even more pronounced at 3,000+. The non treated trans I had would NEVER shift above 3500 rpm's. Even above 3,000 it would really take some muscling. Modded, its no problem ripping a gear at 4,000 rpm with normal'ish effort."
-Broaner

That quote was taken right off of Broaners thread https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...-upgrades.html
It has alot of good information regarding his trails and tribulations getting a NV5600 to handle his power output.
Many thanks on Broaner's thread. Lots of info there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:55 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Pulling a bottom bolt on the PTO cover will get it to drain. I would pull the PTO cover to check for wear indications and clean the magnet. Black RTV is what I use to reseal.
Be sure to add 1 extra Qt of gear oil.
custom03 likes this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to tryNto For This Useful Post:
custom03 (08-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode