Engine swap and at a loss - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Engine swap and at a loss

Ive got a 06 5.9 that was bone stock besides 2 micron fuel filter set up. Blew an injector at 194k, replaced all 6 injectors only to find out that the damage was done to the engine. So hauled it to a well respected local shop, they swapped the engine for one with 30k miles on it, and put my new injectors into the truck, werenít happy with the injectors so they sent 2 back and they tested bad, sent 2 new ones and truck was good to go. Truck is still blowing white smoke on occasion randomly. It will run fine and then under acceleration will start white smoking and you can hear chattering that sounds like the injectors. It only does it intermittently is the weird thing. Fires right up, idles normally w no smoke, no blow by, like I said it pretty much has a new engine, it will run perfectly fine and then out of no where starts smoking. Shop just said to drive it and blow it out since everything just got put back together, but Iím at a loss. Donít want to blow this thing up since I just spent a ton of money on it. Anybody got any guesses on anything else it could be? That many brand new bad injectors just sounds like its not even possible. Theyíre warrantied so thatís not a problem swapping them, just donít want to be taking my truck back and forth all the time. The shop checked everything else out and it all checked out, was some oil in my intercooler from the first engine was their only guess....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:46 PM
Diesel Head

What injectors did you install? Remans have high failure rates and the general advice is to replace with brand new (not reman) stock Bosch injectors. I would be very concerned if two injectors already failed and a third one is on the way out. The marketing on injectors is very deceptive so make sure you know what you have. Post the part numbers here if you're uncertain. Some white smoke is normal on startup with new injectors but it should clear quicky and go away completely within a short period of time. Did you have your valves adjusted at the same time?
rghavana likes this.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

They were replaced with new Bosch injectors, did not use remans and the valves were also adjusted when they were changed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:10 AM
Cummins Nut

What year engine did you swap out? The piston bowls are different between some years and the injector spray pattern has to match the piston bowl. Should have swapped a 6.7 in there instead of another 5.9.

2003 Ram, 37Ē tires,Thuren suspension, truss , Radius arms, lockers:Front-Rear-hub, RCV Axles, Ladder Bar, Fusion bumpers, pacbrake E.B., FSO8406A tranny, SAE2 DDC, PSC Hydro Assist steering, Synergy Steering linkages, Carli ball joints, 4.10 gears, 6.7 Ful BLT, twins
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Same year engine went back into it
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Ive also noticed now that Iíve got to drive it some that it only smokes under light pedal, accelerating or deceleration w light gas pedal it smokes. If Iím just accelerating normally, or if I increase the pedal when it starts smoking it clears up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Cummins Nut

sounds to me you could be burning oil. If the engine only has 30k miles on it being over 10 years old, who knows, the rings might not be seated enough. Might be worth hooking something heavy to it and go hit some mountain passes and get it nice an hot and give the rings a good seat.

2003 Ram, 37Ē tires,Thuren suspension, truss , Radius arms, lockers:Front-Rear-hub, RCV Axles, Ladder Bar, Fusion bumpers, pacbrake E.B., FSO8406A tranny, SAE2 DDC, PSC Hydro Assist steering, Synergy Steering linkages, Carli ball joints, 4.10 gears, 6.7 Ful BLT, twins
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Diesel Head

I question someone found an engine of the same year with only 30k . What a find ( these trucks are over ten years old )

But ok say they did.

Most of your issues are the result of re man injectors .
A new set of new oem with new crossover tubes runs 2200$

Ps . That engine at 30k is broken and seated in for goodness sakes !!! Omg.

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Cummins Nut

True, good possibility the engine is broken in. But if you have ever had an engine sit a long time the rings can rust into the cylinder walls and leave small pits. Only way to smooth all that out is to run the engine hard again.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

The injectors are new, not remans. I bought the injectors first and since they were new they put them in the new engine.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanss180 View Post
sounds to me you could be burning oil. If the engine only has 30k miles on it being over 10 years old, who knows, the rings might not be seated enough. Might be worth hooking something heavy to it and go hit some mountain passes and get it nice an hot and give the rings a good seat.
He did say there was oil in my intercooler from the old engine when it went, But if it was that would it not smoke all the time till it burned off, and not just here and there?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Diesel Head

Oil in the intercooler? That's usually caused by blown turbo seals. If still running the old turbo, have you checked the turbo for oil leaks? Also check shaft play. A little radial play is OK but shouldn't contact housing. Should be little to no axial play (in and out.) Oil would most likely burn off as blue smoke. I would have flushed the intercooler before reinstalling. Not hard hard to pull it off and flush it after the fact.

I would also double check to make sure you got the right injectors with the right spray patterns for your 05. Try the search function for several threads on the topic. Spray pattern and piston bowls changed between the 04 and 04.5 model years.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode