Fan Clutch Not Working? - Page 4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:29 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I own a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. At times, not very often my a/c is a little deficient for about 5 minutes or so. Then it works fine. I went outside, opened up my hood then I started my truck , a/c in the off mode. I looked at my fan and it was turning fairly fast. I then went and turned on the a/c full blast went and placed my hand in back or the fan about one foot away so I could feel any difference in the volume on air being produced. It took about 45 seconds for the fan speed to increase and the volume to increase substantially. I stood there for about three minutes with my hand feeling for volume increases and visually seeing increases in fan speed. In the three minutes that I stood there, the volume/speed of the fan continually increased and decreased multiple times. Note, there was no roar that came from the fan and then I looked at my factory temp gauge an it read about 150 degrees

tryNto likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deepsea29c For This Useful Post:
tryNto (08-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

When I installed a new fan clutch, the roar wasn't as apparent at idle. I had to rev the engine to hear it fully engage and then it was really loud. It sounds like yours is still working, at least partially. Are all your coolers clean and no bent fins? Check in between for debris that hinders air flow. The AC condenser in particular needs good air flow to work correctly. If the condenser fins are bent you car straighten them out with a coil comb and clean them with HVAC coil cleaner.

If everything on the cooling side is OK, it's probably time for AC diagnostics / repair.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 PM

Thank you for the response. My water temp on the OEM gauge states my temp stays about 200 degrees max except when I am towing my boat which weighs 12,000 lbs. Then it generally stays between between 205 degrees and about 210 degrees. Like you said it would be best if I take it to an a/c shop to get it checked out. With the diesel being loud it is hard for me to hear the sound coming from the fan. I am kicking around the idea of taking the trans cooler thermostat out and deleting it, my only concern is that I live in south Florida and for many months of the year it is hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I don't see temps that high on my truck but I live in the Pacific Northwest versus Florida. We do have a few 100 degree days though and some serious mountain grades to climb. The stock thermostat that came with the truck is set for 190 degrees and my truck runs pretty steady at 190. Since you're driving in hot weather and towing heavy, you might want to replace your thermostat with a new 190 degree thermostat to see if makes a difference. Some folks swear by the Cummins thermostat. I'm running a Gates and it's working fine for me. If it's been a while since your coolant was changed, you could do it now and flush your cooling system at the same time. Flushing can improve coolant flow through the radiator and engine block. I did mine about 15,000 miles back and also changed out the upper and lower radiator hose at the same time. Make sure all your radiators/cooler are clean and you you have good air flow.

I would definitely delete the transmission cooler thermostat, especially since you live in a warm state. The easiest way to do it is to install a Dynamic thermostat delete kit. It's inexpensive and pretty easy to change out. The delete kit will drop your transmission fluid temp by up to 30 degrees.

https://dynamictransparts.com/3rd-Ge...rch=thermostat

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Diesel Head

Fan kicks in when coolant temp increases above 215F.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode